Topic:   Old story ideas and lawless Moon cowboys   (Read 2440 times)

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
Old story ideas and lawless Moon cowboys
« on: September 27, 2013, 02:36:32 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbgz4yY-xX0&feature=c4-overview&list=UU6nSFpj9HTCZ5t-N3Rm3-HA

This video reminded me of an idea I had a while ago when discussing ideas for video game plots with an old friend. It was based around idea that there is technically no government on the moon and if somebody had the resources they could do almost anything there with no immediate repercussion, at least until the laws were changed which can take a long time.
     One major idea I came up with was basically a video game based on the moon or perhaps in space around Earth. Basically if somebody wanted to try to claim land up there, there are, like I said, no laws regarding moon real estate. If enough corporations or private companies fought over land and there was no law enforcement on the Moon it could turn into an all-out war which is the whole basis of the game's plot. It reminds me of what went on when people first wanted to claim land in western North America. Now it turns out that this video pretty much verifies my ideas that there would be no law against what people do with the Moon.
     There's so much you could do for story in a game. Land grabs! Factories existing outside any legal jurisdiction! Evil mad scientists avoiding the authorities! Space mercenaries! Hell you could even make it an RTS.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 02:43:36 AM by Connors »
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: Old story ideas and lawless Moon cowboys
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 09:20:45 AM »
Mmmm this has the ingredients I like. Space, dynamic, strategic, chaotic.

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
Re: Old story ideas and lawless Moon cowboys
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 08:29:38 PM »
That's part of the premise of Doom 3, except that Doom 3 takes places on Mars instead of the moon.  A military-scientific conglomerate conducts research on Mars which would be impossible on Earth due to legal and ethical boundaries, and they inadvertently open a portal to hell.