Topic:   New Mac Stuff/Designs/Refresh   (Read 13582 times)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

New Mac Stuff/Designs/Refresh
« on: October 20, 2009, 05:25:02 PM »
Check it out http://apple.com.
Isn't it amazing?
The new iMac can hold 16gb of ram and 2tb of hd! :)
I'm so glad my sister held off on buying one until now.

-Gandolf

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
Re: New Mac Stuff/Designs/Refresh
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 05:28:02 PM »
Ya I saw that. I was wondering when they would upgrade the iMac. I never would of imaged the upgrade would include quad-core processing available.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Mystor

• GMG-er

• I am the myst that consumes us all.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 06:02:34 PM »
Ya I saw that. I was wondering when they would upgrade the iMac. I never would of imaged the upgrade would include quad-core processing available.
I am not that surprised...

Its been available on PC desktops for a while now

Mist
"I'll lie to him."
"And if that doesn't work?"
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 06:29:07 PM »
It can't be that good. After all, PCs crash all the time.
I survived the spammage of 2007

Mystor

• GMG-er

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 06:37:20 PM »
I never said that I didn't want one... did I?

Mist

PS Yes, I am lobbying my parents to get one as a "family computer" (Both my parents have laptops, as does my sister...)
"I'll lie to him."
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 06:38:42 PM »
Its actually quite funny my dad got a top-of-the-line iMac like 3 years ago now the cheapest one on the list is better. (and for half the cost)
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Mystor

• GMG-er

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 07:04:22 PM »
Its actually quite funny my dad got a top-of-the-line iMac like 3 years ago now the cheapest one on the list is better. (and for half the cost)
Hmm, mine is five years old...

Damn getting one the month before the first Intel macs come out...
"I'll lie to him."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

GuthanSoftware

• GMG-er

• GuthanSoftware
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 07:39:45 PM »
I saw that... Thinking about getting a new mini mac  :)
Stupid Test Creator
Sim School Creator
Windox Creator
and more

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 08:03:08 PM »
Meh... amazing and all, but if you want specs that good chances are you also want upgradability. I love OS X but don't like apple hardware, as you could build a PC with specs much better than that for cheaper. I'm trying to build a PC capable of running OS X through hacks, but it's painful getting the perfect components to have great speed and graphics but also support OS X. I wish I could just get a Mac Pro, but 3000 + is a lot of money.

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 08:09:58 PM »
Meh... amazing and all, but if you want specs that good chances are you also want upgradability. I love OS X but don't like apple hardware, as you could build a PC with specs much better than that for cheaper. I'm trying to build a PC capable of running OS X through hacks, but it's painful getting the perfect components to have great speed and graphics but also support OS X. I wish I could just get a Mac Pro, but 3000 + is a lot of money.

I got mine 2 months before the big upgrade (leopard), now I can't play any recent games. :(
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 08:12:15 PM »
You can't just buy the new OS?

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 08:19:46 PM »
The Graphics chipset is outdated  ::)
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 08:22:46 PM »
Wow that sucks. It really is a shame that you can't upgrade graphic cards.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 09:02:46 PM »
Case in point - all non-macs beat macs in terms of hardware, as they are upgradable.

Telstar5

• GMG-er

• The sun is up, the sky is blue...
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 01:04:16 AM »
Since discovering that some PC OSes can actually be good, I'm seeing a lot of things that are making me lose faith in Apple.

http://www.apple.com/macbook/features.html

How is a non-removable battery environmentally friendly? In five years, the computer won't retain a charge and it'll either be sold off, thrown about, thrown in landfill or you can pay Apple to replace the internal battery. It'll be obsolete in five years anyway, so you'll want to dispose of the entire machine. That's what bothers me about Apple hardware. It's all disposable. Want a new, faster machine? Go and buy a whole damn system and throw out your old one. What a waste.

And another thing; why is it that Apple hardware is still expensive? We were promised that the price of Apple hardware would drop when they switched to Intel.

Where's the massive price drop? Plus, reducing the fit and finish and build quality of Apple hardware isn't a way of saving money. Same old story again; we're all waiting for Apple to make a cost-effective computer, and Apple are waiting for us to buy their expensive computers before we get to see the cheap stuff.

Their support department is absolutely rubbish. I was told I couldn't have my iSight replaced or repaired and that I'd have to part-ex my 2006 machine for a new one and copy the contents of the hard disk over (this was me talking to a tech support guy who sounded like he was in an Indian call centre of all places). I found an unofficial hack that made the iSight work again. Unofficial software making Apple's "just work" software actually "just work"...

Ah, I dunno. Maybe the X in Mac OS X is the number of years that Apple is behind in all aspects.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 01:12:08 AM by Telstar5 »