Topic:   Lost Winds - Refreshed Thread!   (Read 36925 times)

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

• I come from the swamps.
Re: Lost Winds - Refreshed Thread!
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 12:22:32 PM »
Not sure, ask Mist :P.

As well, Silver, remember Ethumbra? That can be part of the Island Zone, as well as the part we created already. So all in all, half of the zone is pretty much done, and thats all we need. Just have to stitch the two together. I still have the files if you need them.

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

• I come from the swamps.
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 12:58:17 PM »
More edits to the top post, sorry for the double post.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 03:11:00 PM »
Thanks Swamp, I've got all the up to date LW files. That's a good idea of adding Ethumbra to the Island zone. :)

Oh, a note on mapping: The scrolling nav engine I'm working on uses 3x3 of the 7x7 grids I usually use, so rooms are significantly bigger. (9 times bigger!)

Here's an example room with the old tileset:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 03:11:27 PM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 06:21:43 PM »
oh swamp has done alot, then i agree you all should finish this project throw together a simple demo or something. can you give any details on how the real time battle engine works? i cant imagine anything other than just pressing the attack key repeatedly
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 06:23:00 PM by EqwanoX »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 10:44:16 PM »
This might work as the server/client.

http://www.quazal.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=3&page=1

Edit: Haha, nevermind. Costs money.

-Gandolf
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 10:47:17 PM by Gandolf »

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 11:11:49 PM »
You know I have never worked on a group project before so this might be interesting I am usually pretty inventive on methods of code I'll see if I can help.
P.S. I don't have a clue as to incorporate online code so don't really ask me to do much involving that.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

alias

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 11:52:51 PM »
I made a real time battle engine and it takes up alot of code no matter what you do, and it becomes impossible when u want pathfinding AI, goodluck.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2008, 03:52:10 AM »
I made a RT battle engine concept as well. I imagine the code to be quite messy since it was written way back when, but when I write the new engine it will be spot on. I'll be changing various aspects of it as well. (such as instead of walking on enemies to attack them, you bump into them and they'll act as a wall)

Here's the LW folder Swamp, you should put it in the first post: http://www.mediafire.com/?psbl1jmngic

As for your request Eq, the RT battle engine concept is part of the LW Concepts GM file in the download. :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 03:53:38 AM by Silverwind »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2008, 06:34:45 PM »
I'm all for it. I don't own Gm though I can program in it and I understand the mechanics of server/client coding. No need to make multiple clients for each person. I have the solution.

-Gandolf
Just to remove all doubt from my mind, could you explain the logic of your code? As I don't understand it. Here's what I think the logic is:

1: A variable ("X" for example) in the client app equals the number of the "port" on the host computer that the client computer is connected to.
2: The sprite number of the client's player sprite is equal to that variable. ("X")

Is that right? And if it is, does that mean each player connects to a different port on the host computer? How many ports does a computer have?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 06:41:46 PM by Silverwind »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2008, 08:32:29 PM »
Just to remove all doubt from my mind, could you explain the logic of your code? As I don't understand it. Here's what I think the logic is:

1: A variable ("X" for example) in the client app equals the number of the "port" on the host computer that the client computer is connected to.
2: The sprite number of the client's player sprite is equal to that variable. ("X")

Is that right? And if it is, does that mean each player connects to a different port on the host computer? How many ports does a computer have?

Yes, right.

Client + Server running on Host computer:

The player opens the client, logs on, and the client checks each port with the server until it gets an open port. When that happens, depending on the port it entered, it is set into the right player category in the system. The character stats are checked and saved in each players' file in the same folder as the server.
The key thing is that all the variables are saved in 1 string. Many times a second, all the client has to do is get one variable which really increases game speed.

Client + Server as Php:

With using php, the client can't track which port, but can look at the data before connecting. So, in Php, make the client look who's online, than insert itself to the player spot after the last person online. After he successfully logs on, it will receive the individual player data from php and use that to load the character. I'm thinking of putting all variables set into one variable so it will run way faster than getting each variable at random times, it will only get one variable.

-Gandolf

Edit: Almost forgot. Each player connects to a different port, and there is a ton of ports. Like 64,000+ .
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 08:41:56 PM by Gandolf »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2008, 04:20:03 AM »
Cool, thanks for clearing that up. :)

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2008, 10:05:56 AM »
Why does the battle engine have to be real time? I was just wondering since it is way easier to make battle engines turn based.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2008, 10:29:11 AM »
Why does the battle engine have to be real time? I was just wondering since it is way easier to make battle engines turn based.

I think Silverwind wants a better quality game. With real time battle system two+ players can battle the same monster at the same time. It adds partnership and the ability to work together and get connected into the game. Everything the player does in the game, we want it to be able to do it with a friend. It's the reason the game will be online, it makes the game more addicting.

To Everybody & mostly Mistron:
I'm really itching to get to work on the online system. Do you have the old just LW chat app? I want to try to re-write the movement system from scratch to see if I can get player see player to work.

-Gandolf

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2008, 11:55:34 AM »
The download package I posted a few posts ago has all the up to date LW files in it. I'm pretty sure it has Mist's AS code as well as the chat code.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2008, 01:03:32 PM »
Thanks, I will take a look at it a little later today. I will write all the code in text edit, and I will need you guys to stick the code in the LW app and fix any syntax errors I make.

Also, anyone know why Mistron hasn't been responding much?

-Gandolf