Topic:   Science fiction RPG   (Read 2305 times)

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
Science fiction RPG
« on: August 03, 2013, 01:15:41 PM »
I had an idea for a first person science fiction RPG and I figured I'd post my idea here. Here's what I was texting a friend about the idea.

"Science fiction RPG ideas

So, you know how I want to make a science fiction RPG? Well, one of the main gameplay aspects will be buying robotic enhancements for your character(s) to increase certain stats. Such as buying robotic leg braces to decrease fall damage and increase speed, or robotic arms that do the science fiction equivalent of using spells. Or different headpieces that change up the HUD to display different things. For example, the beginning HUD just turns redder as you take damage, but upgraded helmets can show you the location of enemies with thermal vision, display health and ammo, and even enemy health.

Some would require power, which could be restored at various charging stations, or you could have solar power which generates power when you are outdoors. Or you can get some kind of gyroscopic generator for your armor which recharges as you move.

Each armor enhancement has weight and takes up a slot on your armor. You can purchase more slots or items to increase your strength to let you carry more weight. The more weight you add, the slower you move if you don't balance out your armor for speed and strength.

I think this could lead to incredibly varied gameplay that would make the game very replayable, like a class based RPG.

The game would have different levels (dungeons) in space stations, ships, bases on different planets. But there'd also be cities on land or in space that would have friendly NPCs to sell you stuff, customize your armor, or let you rest to restore fatigue and health.

I suppose there'd be some organization trying to take over the universe that you'd have to stop. Or maybe something like the Daleks, where they just want to kill everything.

As for weapons, you'd have standard stuff: laser swords, daggers, explosive laser throwing knives, as well as ranged weapons like laser repeaters and a wide variety of laser guns and other science fiction weapons. Of course, during part of the game you'd pilot a mech, and there'd be some awesome multiplayer aspect, like an arena where you can spectate matches or do 4 vs 4 PVP battles. Big arenas. I don't know if the story would be online. I think the online aspects would be built into the main game through specific online locations, like markets, arenas, and co-op areas. But most of the game would be single player. The multiplayer would be very streamlined, and integrated well into the main game to be unobtrusive for people who want a solid single player experience.

Basically, it would be built into the main game, but entirely optional. Some areas would support co op, but you could go with an NPC if you don't have any friends who own the game."
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: Science fiction RPG
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 01:28:06 PM »
Sounds cool.

Get a pencil, some paper. Draw each individual main feature.
Pitch this idea with some visuals.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
Re: Science fiction RPG
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 08:02:49 PM »
I'll sketch some stuff.

I don't see why I should, though, because it's an impossible project, even with help from other people. I'd need to pitch the idea to Valve or something. Or Bethesda, the open world RPG is really their specialty. Keeping that in mind, though. Valve bought the idea for Portal from a college student, then hired him.

I worry that the idea may be too similar to other big budget games, but I'll try to keep it original.
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!