Topic:   TNT Progress   (Read 2676 times)

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
TNT Progress
« on: September 28, 2012, 11:12:55 PM »
http://www.tntbasic.com/community/forums/showthread.php?threadid=21169

I sent this guy and e-mail and he actually RESPONDED! That Never Happens! :) He posted an update on the project because I asked. They need some help with the Intel port of TNT's editor, I don't really know what they are doing with HTML it's a bit over my head BUT if you guys know anyone who would be willing to help... Let them know.
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
Re: TNT Progress
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 07:07:11 AM »
They are having the same problems I'm having with GameMaker. It's an old application originally written for older Macs. As newer OSes come out, Apple no longer supports some old code, so you try to make some tweaks and hacks to keep it running. Eventually it no longer works on new Oses at all, so you decide to do a nearly complete rewrite in Carbon because it's an easier switch-over then going to Objective-C, plus it will run on older machines as well as new ones. When you get 3 quarters of the way completed, Apple decides that they are no longer supporting Carbon and all of the new code you wrote won't work in the future. So you now have to start all over again. I got tired of it.

Here's one example of what happened to me:

Most of the GameMaker alert and dialog windows were done in ResEdit. Apple dumped that and said switch to Interface Builder and use those windows, alerts, and dialogs. OK, so I spent a lot of time doing that for GameMaker 4. They look very nice and work well, so I felt it was worth the time and effort.

So guess what Apple did in OS X 10.7 and 10.8. They decided to no longer support the Interface Builder items that they told everyone to switch to. So now all of the windows I created I can't even open and edit in the new Interface Builder in OS X 10.7 and up. So now I'd have to start over again and redo them all including all of the code I wrote to handle the windows and what to do with the options the user selects, so it uses Cocoa Interface Objects. I just got tired of rewriting constantly and never actually able to get something completed.

And that's just one example.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 07:59:48 AM »
Woh, you serious? Windows made in Interface Builder are different in Os 10.7 and 10.8? Weird.
Hmmmmmm.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 08:38:44 PM »
Well that's pretty much what Mark Tully is saying. It explains why he would want to make an HTML based editor.
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/