Topic:   Voice Acting   (Read 4146 times)

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
Voice Acting
« on: March 04, 2012, 02:09:55 PM »
I decided to make this thread since so many of use are interested. Also because I want to attach my attempt at the intro for Gan's QOM port.
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

• Sorry for being such a noob
Re: Voice Acting
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 02:21:42 PM »
whoa really nice man  :o
Just your average Weekend Warrior.
Yes I know I have bad spelling, it's what makes me such a good programmer!

"Old art, weather magnificent or wretched, is always the raw material of new art. The artist's job, though, is to

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 02:30:41 PM »
Wow! That's intense!

Your voice is awesome. I attached your voice, cleaned a bit with background music.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 02:35:37 PM »
Oh my gosh I'm in an intro! XD
I didn't think that much of it but thanks, Gan.
Want me to look at the rest of it?

- Tim Rogers

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 02:38:48 PM »
I'd love it if you voiced the rest of the intro dialog:
One night without warning, an attack was made on the Elves.
Orcs, Goblins and even Bugbears swarmed Alithein and utterly destroyed it, killing half its population in the act.
The Goblinoid army disbanded after stealing a magical artifact from a temple to Ausa, the earth spirit.
Where they retreated to was discovered the following morning, when the Dwarves and the Humans came to investigate the noises and smoke of the night before.
A shaft leading deep into the underdark had been unearthed, smack in the middle of the realm's trade route!
A counsel was held between the three races.
The Elves insisted that the Goblins weren't smart enough to plan a full scale attack on their own, and would have no knowledge of nor purpose for the stolen artifact.
They suggested the Goblins were taking orders from the Drow, who could not venture from their dark abyss themselves but could use the artifact for terrible evil.
It was decided that the artifact must be recovered before the surface gate to the underdark could be sealed, as to leave it in the hands of the Elves' twisted cousins would undoubtedly lead to disaster.
And so, your adventure begins!

You bravely counter to retrieve the stolen artifact.
The dangers will be great, and you'll encounter many monsters as you explore the shadowy depths of the under dark.
 So you'd best stock up on equipment before you begin your decent...

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 05:17:05 PM »
Okay Gan I spent far too much on this.
It took a bunch of work, and yes guys, my voice is deepened. By about half a musical half-step. It made a big difference.
I edited out breaths and clicks and even made sure the volume was consistent.
Any suggestions to improve it?

- Tim Rogers

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 05:31:27 PM »
Hahah WHOA!

That is amazing! I had no idea your voice was so awesome! I especially like the part where your voice grew more urgent and powerful as you said "and leave the artifact in the hands of the elves' twisted cousins would undoubtedly lead to disaster!"
Hey, what's your full name? You will be in the credits.

I'm putting this in pronto. With this in, the game will be ready to be up. Unless I want to update the gfx first.... hmm.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 05:37:36 PM »
Connor McHarney :D
Thanks for letting me help Gan, I can't wait to see the final game! Some slight changes to graphics would be interesting however. If nothing else, I would lessen the prominence of the solid black grid lines as they go against the basic rules of tiling sprites - try to dampen the effect of the straight edged grid.

While we're on the subject, what is this programmed with and what will it run on?

- Tim Rogers

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 07:48:03 PM »
Sounds great guys, I've just got a couple of pronunciation discrepancies to address, as names are very precious to me! ;D I've had to keep my voice low, as the rest of the household are sleeping, but hopefully you can make out the pronunciation of Azoth and Illithéin from the following audio sample:

http://www.mediafire.com/?r0zl9l0h3z3tt5g

Thanks for doing such awesome work by the way! It's a massive privilege and a joy to see so much enthusiasm over a game I made yonks ago!

EDIT:

I'm not very audible on either pronunciation of Illithéin. Broken down it's like this: i - lith - ee - en. The first two syllables flow smoothly into each other, as if they were one syllable, and the "en" at the end is pronounced to sound similar to "in", but not quite.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 08:02:33 PM by Silverwind-san »
I survived the spammage of 2007

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 08:35:30 PM »
If nothing else, I would lessen the prominence of the solid black grid lines as they go against the basic rules of tiling sprites - try to dampen the effect of the straight edged grid.

While we're on the subject, what is this programmed with and what will it run on?
Programmed in Obj-C, running on iOS.
As for the solid black lines, I'm unsure of how to get rid of them. To manually edit all 200 maps would be... very time consuming.

Sounds great guys, I've just got a couple of pronunciation discrepancies to address, as names are very precious to me! ;D I've had to keep my voice low, as the rest of the household are sleeping, but hopefully you can make out the pronunciation of Azoth and Illithéin from the following audio sample:

http://www.mediafire.com/?r0zl9l0h3z3tt5g

Thanks for doing such awesome work by the way! It's a massive privilege and a joy to see so much enthusiasm over a game I made yonks ago!

EDIT:

I'm not very audible on either pronunciation of Illithéin. Broken down it's like this: i - lith - ee - en. The first two syllables flow smoothly into each other, as if they were one syllable, and the "en" at the end is pronounced to sound similar to "in", but not quite.
Thanks for the tips Silver!

Hey Connors, if it's not too much to retry the Intro 1 with Silver's pronounciations I could quickly add in the revisions before I submit it to the app store:
For centuries the small realm of Azoth has known a peaceful existence.
The Elven refuge Illithéin, the Dwarf stronghold of Stone Basin and the human port village of Lanburgh fill the otherwise uninhabited Land.
The humans founded Lanburgh two years short of a decade ago, a colony overseas from their great empire.
The impenetrable fortress of Stone Basin, hewn deep into the mountains has been home to the Dwarves for countless ages.
And the elves of the great forest keep a watchful eye on their neighbours from their border town Illithéin.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 08:38:13 PM by Gan »

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 03:15:11 PM »
Finally got around to recording those two pieces! ;) I'm glad I worked out a good way to break it up into sections.

- Tim Rogers