Topic:   That's odd...   (Read 12036 times)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
That's odd...
« on: May 17, 2010, 05:47:27 AM »
It seems GM can't read or write external files with a name exceeding 32 characters in length. I've tested it with images and text files.

Guess I'll have to settle for "item-Potion of Greater Resto.gif" ;D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 05:47:45 AM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
Re: That's odd...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 06:04:55 PM »
Well I think it used to be that you could even name a file something that exceeded 32 characters so that would make sense.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 12:34:01 AM »
The 32 character limit is probably because GM still uses really old file handling commands from Mac OS Classic.

Al could probably update GM 3 with new commands, but I'm sure GM 4 uses the new commands already.

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 06:56:31 AM »
32 characters was the file name limit on old Mac OSes. GameMaker 3 uses that. I'm probably not going to update it. GameMaker 4 file names can be any length up to 255 characters I think (whatever the limit is for OS X).

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 03:53:07 PM »
255 is the limit for OSX. (I just checked) 255 should be plenty long enough for anything you plan on making.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 04:01:41 PM »
I'm getting by with Potion of Restoration, Potion of Regeneration and Potion of Rejuvenation. :) Potion of Greater Restoration was just too long.

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 05:12:15 PM »
You can call it item-potion of greater rest.gif. It sounds better than item-potion of greater resto.gif.

Mystor

• GMG-er

• I am the myst that consumes us all.
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 06:01:51 PM »
I would actually probably call it itm-pot-gtr_rest.gif
"I'll lie to him."
"And if that doesn't work?"
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 06:24:39 PM »
Yeah, though as I say, Potion of Restoration, Potion of Regeneration and Potion of Rejuvenation work fine. ;)

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 06:32:23 PM »
Actually, to make harder to steal sprites, you should just give them arbitrary names like 265064097.gif. This is what SilverCreator does.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 07:28:57 PM »
GM doesn't bundle external resources at all though, they're openly accessible from whatever folder you store them in. I don't mind people using my sprites, but being able to hide my dungeon map images would be handy. ;D

Mystor

• GMG-er

• I am the myst that consumes us all.
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 09:02:29 PM »
I am certain that one could, very easily, create a cocoa wrapper application that will conceal the application and it's data. When it is launched it could launch the game. This would also allow for other interactivity, such as other windows along with the main application.
I would make it but I don't have a mac to do so.
"I'll lie to him."
"And if that doesn't work?"
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

GabrielCA

• GMG-er

• no avatar

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 06:33:19 PM »
Actually, to make harder to steal sprites, you should just give them arbitrary names like 265064097.gif. This is what SilverCreator does.
I know, I know !
Create your own bitmap format, with totally atypical specs !
That's probably the best strategy; many big games use proprietary bitmap formats.

(Or, if you can't do that : save your bitmap files without typical bitmap file extensions, e.g. : 265064097.txt)

[EDIT] Example of proprietary image format : SLP files in Age of Empires
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 06:42:51 PM by GabrielCA »
Creator of the deprecated plugin KeyDetect (2005)

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 10:59:39 PM »
I know, I know !
Create your own bitmap format, with totally atypical specs !
That's probably the best strategy; many big games use proprietary bitmap formats.

(Or, if you can't do that : save your bitmap files without typical bitmap file extensions, e.g. : 265064097.txt)

[EDIT] Example of proprietary image format : SLP files in Age of Empires

Or use SilverCreator, which compiles the sprites as regular-but-scrambled PNG files if you so choose.

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

• Sorry for being such a noob
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 09:54:05 PM »
GM doesn't bundle external resources at all though, they're openly accessible from whatever folder you store them in. I don't mind people using my sprites, but being able to hide my dungeon map images would be handy. ;D
I found a way to do that! it's actually really easy, but kinda hard to explain. Open up Terminal in your applications folder (it should be in the Utilities sub-folder)
now type in 'man chflags' skim through this, especially the section about hidden, and nohidden.
without the quotations. put the folder in your desktop, and type this:
chflags hidden ~/Desktop/Gamefolder/*

okay here's the tricky part.
type in: cd ~/Desktop/Gamefolder/
then: ls
okay so you should see a list of all the files in your folder, just so you have a spelling reference.
alright, now type in: chflags nohidded ~/Desktop/Gamefolder/"name of what ever thing you want to un hide"

If there is something with a name that is more than one word or contains the & sign you'll have to surround them with parenthesis.
If you messed something up, and want to start again, no sweat. This code is the best Unix code to start with, it can't screw up your computer, but is a gateway to letting you screw it up.

okay to reset anything you've done type in:
chflags nohidden ~/Desktop/Gamefolder/*

capitals aren't needed
If you want to learn more type in 'man man' or 'man less'
but the manual expects you already know the commands, so just google Unix Executable codes, or just Unix (most people just cal it Unix.)
Hope I could help, sorry I wrote so much  :-/
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 09:54:44 PM by KurtManion »
Just your average Weekend Warrior.
Yes I know I have bad spelling, it's what makes me such a good programmer!

"Old art, weather magnificent or wretched, is always the raw material of new art. The artist's job, though, is to