Topic:   One person makes full retail game...   (Read 9062 times)

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

One person makes full retail game...
« on: February 04, 2009, 07:31:59 PM »
All by himself! Its coming soon for DS, a huge SIM RPG like game make by one person who locked himself in a room for 5 years with minimal contact with the outside world. The game looks good, but I think the guy is a psyco, half his site talks about how he found aliens and made contact or something.

Here are some sites.

http://wamblinggamer.com/2008/12/21/bob-needs-help/

http://www.bobsgame.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrAYDSTkXgQ&annotation_id=annotation_346066&feature=iv

« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 07:41:38 PM by Gnome_Again »
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
Re: One person makes full retail game...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 08:25:58 PM »
I wish I was that guy.

Seriously... if I didn't have... you know... school and friends and a life, then I would lock myself in my room and program stuff. I wish I had that ability to concentrate on a project for a long time too.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 08:44:59 PM »
Whoa.

-Gandolf

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 08:46:25 PM »
It turns out he is still waiting for nintendo to approve it, he is pissed that he spent 5 years on a game he wanted on the DS that will never happen until Nintendo gives him the title of developer. He is protesting in strange ways I'm sorta confused now, but I'll give you guys updates as it happens. IF ITS GONNA HAPPEN IT WILL IN FEBRUARY

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 08:48:32 PM »
He should just release it as a homebrew game... stuff like that has worked pretty well before. Then again, I guess the point is to get Nintendo to officially recognize the game.

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 05:20:42 PM »
Wow I wish I could be that dedicated to making a game if I could just lock myself up in my room for a day imagine the work I could get done.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 09:52:35 AM »
thats amazing, i wish i could do that too, i would be totally content just working on my art and concepts.

he should stop harrasing nintendo, but he seems to be getting good publicity. nintendo should have a contest and publish a homebrew game every year
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 09:53:02 AM by EqwanoX »

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 10:31:17 AM »
this is his whole point on why he only wants nintendo:

I'm a core gamer. I've played thousands of games and spent thousands on games. I can name hundreds of titles for nearly any system off of the top of my head.
I've beaten almost every significant game for every Nintendo platform. I even beat Virtual Boy Wario Land! (And I'm not blind!)
I've played practically every demoscene game released in 10 years. I've played old-school adventure games, text games, DOS games, Flash games, Amiga games, you name it.
I've played imports in Japanese without being able to read them. I'm still patiently "waiting" for Super Mario 64 2, Mario 128, and Earthbound 64. (Not Mother 3 for GBA, it's not the same.)
I've never played Final Fantasy 7 because I'm still waiting for its release on Ultra 64. Yes, I know- it won't.
I know "bob's game" is great.
I even know that true fans don't want to be spoiled. They want to be surprised.
I'm not showing it until it's out. It matters. End of story.

I grew up with a Game Boy, a childhood spent buried in a magical box with ugly green graphics.
"At last, I am this wizard- this sorcery is mine now."
It means a lot to me, more than I can express. I tortured myself for half a decade for it.
I've made a DS title for this reason, and I'm trying to port it to other platforms, but it's MADE FOR THE DS.

I'm 25 years old and I have spent the last five years writing a game- not going to seminars or conventions.
I didn't learn how to make games. I just made one by figuring out how. How do you make games? Step one: make a game.
Think about it from my side of things-
I have no "industry connections," and I can't possibly understand how the process is supposed to work because all the information is locked up!
You've presented me with a form to fill out, with a few specific requirements and no further information.
I've met your requirements and filled out your form! What else am I supposed to do?
How am I supposed to know if you don't allow anyone to know?
All I know is that I'm supposed to receive a decision in 6-8 weeks, and my emails are not being returned!

And:

I don't need a publisher, that's not the issue. I must become a licensed developer to have a licensed game with licensed tools.
I'm not asking Nintendo to publish my game- they aren't a publisher for third party titles. Many publishers are interested in "bob's game."
All I'm asking from them is that they allow me to purchase a DVD with the software I need to get my game into retail shrinkwrap.

There is no cost to them whatsoever- in fact, they would be profiting from the SDK costs, and from every retail cartridge sold!
I'm a bit frustrated with the process- Why is my development studio (Robert Pelloni LC) with a full, complete, polished, high-quality
title being treated any differently than the hundreds of studios putting out "Fluffy Bunny's Movie Franchise Platformer 16?"

The issue is something else entirely. Someone at Nintendo doesn't like this project, because it blurs the line between homebrew and commercial.
In the past, if you wanted to make games you got a job for EA- and worked on drawing a part of a shoe.
I wanted to make the whole thing, so I did. What's wrong with that?

Nobody has ever single-handedly created a retail length RPG type console game this size. How do I know that? They told me!
It's a special case- an industry first- and it's going to take someone in the company taking extra initiative and making a move.
In other words, they're going to need some convincing. Can I fly there and negotiate? I asked that already. They don't know.

There have been petitions from fans towards Nintendo in the past that have fallen on deaf ears, such as the Mother 3 campaign.
The only tools I have on my side are dedication and determination. I had to do something different. How can I show Nintendo I'm serious?
A nonviolent passive sit-down protest to a Japanese company- live on webcam 24/7, by a high-profile independent developer.

I plan on staying in here 100 days or more, so we'll see where it goes. The lease on my office might have to be extended.
Solitary confinement isn't exactly pleasant. I'm working 16 hour days with no human contact.
If I'm not mad yet, I will be! Of course, that'll only make the sequel better.. ;}

In the meantime, I'm working on the Android, iPhone, and OpenPandora ports for 100 days straight.
These platforms are awesome! Yuu doesn't even need a publisher! What a great idea!
I'm also looking into XBLA and Steam, thanks to everyone who suggested it!
My site gets several thousand viewers a day, including many prominent gaming news outlets, magazines, blogs, and even Nintendo employees.
They're definitely aware of what I'm doing, and they're probably hoping that it'll blow over or that I'll give up. I won't, of course.
The longer this goes on, the more interesting it becomes.
I'm not wrong, and it will work.

He is trying to say that he loves nintendo, and he always wanted to make a game for them. He says that nintendo has lost touch from the fans, not putting out core games but games like "Crossword Puzzle" and "Sudoku" i mean really, if you spent 5 years of your like producing your childhood dream, wouldn't you do everything in your means to complete it.

P.S. Nintendo Rejected him. So in about 45 days he WILL port it to other devices.

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 02:21:05 PM »
P.S. Nintendo Rejected him. So in about 45 days he WILL port it to other devices.
That is sad, they rejected his life's work.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 04:53:57 PM »
He should go to college, become a professional game designer. Create his own software company or join another.

-Gandolf

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 05:12:56 PM »
He's trying to prove that you don't need a company to make a game...

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 06:55:18 PM »
No you don't, but he is proving that sometimes it isn't worth it to do it alone.

-Gandolf

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 09:52:03 PM »
... because the video game companies (well, nintendo at least) won't publish a game made by one person.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 09:52:23 PM by WarHampster »

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 08:47:34 AM »
he is proving that sometimes it isn't worth it to do it alone.

-Gandolf

... Because he spent five years making a game, that he always wanted to have published
::)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 08:49:35 AM by Gnome_Again »

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 08:57:24 AM »
he's not asking nintendo to publish it cause they dont publish 3rd party titles. he wants a dev kit and they dont give those out to people, only well established companies. it'll be interesting to see what happens, i wonder if its good? cause it sounds like a lot of walking and talking, theres no battle system