Topic:   They Found Noah's Ark   (Read 9440 times)

GabrielCA

• GMG-er

• no avatar

Re: They Found Noah's Ark
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2010, 08:08:20 PM »
I'm totally neutral on this, but, BTW, have you not all heard the funny quote about the iPad being the most importance-given tablet since the Ten Commandments ?
Creator of the deprecated plugin KeyDetect (2005)

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 11:25:53 AM »
You know what pisses me off about religion?

Imagine someone is brought up to be a Muslim. That's all he knows to be true, as far as religion is concerned. He knows of other religions, sure, but he's a Muslim. He's a good man, never murdered anyone, I mean, you know?

So he just goes to hell then? Screw him, right?

WTF?

What about the damn Hindus and Buddhists and the Jews?

Charlo

• GMG-er

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010, 04:33:13 PM »

Imagine someone is brought up to be a Muslim. That's all he knows to be true, as far as religion is concerned. He knows of other religions, sure, but he's a Muslim. He's a good man, never murdered anyone, I mean, you know?

WTF?

This has bothered me too.  Think of a theoretical man who is born and dies in total isolation.  Many religions would contend that this man would have no chance of going to heaven/whatever afterlife, since he never came to know the proper god.  This just seems totally wrong to me.

It's also kind of weird that many people of many different religions are 100% certain that they have found the true religion.  But most of these people are wrong, obviously.  So what does that say about so-called "100% certainty" if it's clearly not certain?

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2010, 05:17:47 PM »
This has bothered me too.  Think of a theoretical man who is born and dies in total isolation.  Many religions would contend that this man would have no chance of going to heaven/whatever afterlife, since he never came to know the proper god.  This just seems totally wrong to me.

It's also kind of weird that many people of many different religions are 100% certain that they have found the true religion.  But most of these people are wrong, obviously.  So what does that say about so-called "100% certainty" if it's clearly not certain?

It's certain because their profit told them so.
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 05:18:43 PM »

WTF?

Yeah, I often pondered that but I don't think it's something we'll ever know the answer to. What's important is that God doesn't charge us with the responsibility of it, He deals with it in His own way.

I think you guys should hear the good news of Christ first hand:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nfk5ebTRHs
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 05:23:00 PM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 05:28:30 PM »
I think that I'm being cool and mature by not posting here but I'm not mature enough to not want you all to know that I think that I'm being cool and mature which is why I'm posting here.

I have absolutely no problem with any religion, philosophy, or ideology as long it can peacefully coexist with all other religions, philosophies, and ideologies. The fundamentals of the three Semitic religions are wonderful and it would be great if more people followed them. Silver, I totally support your beliefs.

What I am strongly against is the exploitation of good people like Silver by humans claiming to represent those [Silver's] beliefs to further their own material aims.

Some people (like Silver) recognize that people do this and stick to their fundamentals. Others do not, so wonderful religions that encourage people to love and help each other are marred by conflict that has more to do with greed than theological differences.

So from my perspective religions are not fundamentally bad. Unfortunately, most people are.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 05:42:08 PM by WarHampster »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 06:19:10 PM »
Yeah, with power can come corruption...
Even in good things.
For example, imagine if the pope were corrupted(not that he isn't or is). So many listen to him and he could lead many astray. Though that's only for catholicism. In the Bible it states that all could have access to God, not just one person. Many of the prominent people in the Bible urge everyone to have a close connection, not just one because that one could become corrupted.

-Gan

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 08:55:04 PM »
I think you guys should hear the good news of Christ first hand:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nfk5ebTRHs

How do I know your good news is the right good news? What if I saw some other good news that said there were two gods with equal power and one's named Bob and the other one is named (chinese characters that the form can not properly display)?

I mean, seriously. Bob and (chinese characters that the form can not properly display)'s argument could be just as convincing but if I pick their stuff then I'm gonna burn in hell, or maybe Bob and (chinese characters that the form can not properly display)'s religion IS the right religion and if I pick Jesus then I'm gonna freeze in absolute zero land for all eternity?

The whole system is fixed. It's like voting for the president, except if you pick the loser, you get shot to death.

It's impossible to discount with 100% absolute certainty the existence or non-existence of God(s) - so I'm not an atheist, but the whole situation is maddening. I don't know if there's God or Gods or no god or maybe it's Morgan Freeman!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 08:56:26 PM by Mike_Richardson »

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 08:58:15 PM »

How do I know your good news is the right good news? What if I saw some other good news that said there were two gods with equal power and one's named Bob and the other one is named (chinese characters that the form can not properly display)?

I mean, seriously. Bob and (chinese characters that the form can not properly display)'s argument could be just as convincing but if I pick their stuff then I'm gonna burn in hell, or maybe Bob and (chinese characters that the form can not properly display)'s religion IS the right religion and if I pick Jesus then I'm gonna freeze in absolute zero land for all eternity?

The whole system is fixed. It's like voting for the president, except if you pick the loser, you get shot to death.

It's impossible to discount with 100% absolute certainty the existence or non-existence of God(s) - so I'm not an atheist, but the whole situation is maddening. I don't know if there's God or Gods or no god or maybe it's Morgan Freeman!

The best part about being a religion is using the answer: It's a question of faith.

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 09:04:58 PM »
The best part about being a religion is using the answer: It's a question of faith.

See, that's bullshit. You have several major religions on Earth and they're pretty much all recruiting or at least open to new members and they all want you to take their word on the strength of faith alone.

I remember once I slept over at a friend's house. This was back a long time ago, I was in elementary school. Anyway it was a Saturday-Sunday sleepover and I went with church to them on Sunday morning. They were Baptists, anyway I didn't go to the main church thing but went with my friend to the sunday school, I guess you would call it. Anyway the subject eventually came up and someone asked me if I was saved and I said "no", so my friend and this minister/pastor/whatever dude and I went into a back room and the religious guy "saved" me.

I remember being confused as hell later on in life and even soon after that because my grandma was Jewish (so is my father) and she would take me to the temple a few times. My mom is not Jewish (so I guess according to the rules I am not Jewish officially) - although there was discussion of raising me Jewish, but that did not happen. The only thing I was raised with was a general kind of generic belief of God but not specifically this idea that "Jesus died for our sins" or whatever.

The different minor differentiations of Christianity, and the two (or is it three) sects of Islam are also bullshit. The only difference between Sunni and Shi'ite is some kind of minor thing no one should really care about anyway. For example, Christianity seems to have this one basic tenet about Jesus dying for you, so I think as long as you all believe in that then you need to get over all the other bullshit that man has made up along the way in creating these little differentiations.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 09:09:31 PM by Mike_Richardson »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2010, 09:16:17 PM »
The only difference between Sunni and Shi'ite is some kind of minor thing no one should really care about anyway.

If I remember from ancient history it was about a disagreement over who would succeed Muhammad as Caliph.  

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2010, 09:50:59 PM »
People do find a bit of confusion surrounding religion.
Imagine 3 scientists:
One claims the Earth is round, the other that the Earth is a cube, and the third that the Earth is just a vast flat plain. (This is an analogy so ignore the obvious knowledge you already have)
It's your choice.

The answer isn't just in faith. Look at the evidence provided.

-Gan
P.S. I often question to find answers, such as what's in my sig at the moment.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 10:04:25 PM by Gandolf »

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2010, 10:20:03 PM »

The different minor differentiations of Christianity, and the two (or is it three) sects of Islam are also bullshit. The only difference between Sunni and Shi'ite is some kind of minor thing no one should really care about anyway. For example, Christianity seems to have this one basic tenet about Jesus dying for you, so I think as long as you all believe in that then you need to get over all the other bullshit that man has made up along the way in creating these little differentiations.

Coincidentally, both started with the question "Who should be our leader?"

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2010, 11:26:59 PM »
People do find a bit of confusion surrounding religion.
Imagine 3 scientists:
One claims the Earth is round, the other that the Earth is a cube, and the third that the Earth is just a vast flat plain. (This is an analogy so ignore the obvious knowledge you already have)
It's your choice.

The answer isn't just in faith. Look at the evidence provided.

-Gan
P.S. I often question to find answers, such as what's in my sig at the moment.

Eventually, we went out in space and had proof that the Earth was round.

We can't prove that religion "x" is correct. For example, you can't really take any holy book at face value. How do we know 100% for sure that it just wasn't made up a few hundred years ago to put some people in line?

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2010, 09:35:38 AM »
We don't need to go into space to find out the earth is round, we can just look at a crescent moon and see the earth's round shadow on it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 09:35:58 AM by Tireas_Dragon »
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.