Topic:   The "old" GMG   (Read 11646 times)

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
Re: The "old" GMG
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2010, 09:37:38 PM »
I found this banner for the new gmg on jeremymaharg's site. It seems reminiscent of the old gmg logo.

New banner :

That's because it's based on the old logo - and I am almost 99% sure I made that animated banner.

alias

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2010, 01:56:42 AM »
Im alias.

I've always been around, I just rarely post.

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2010, 03:29:30 AM »
The GMG was originally called "Homebrew Haven" - referencing "homebrewn" games, but it was changed because the word "homebrew" was too-far aligned with the home production of alcoholic beverages.

Another tidbit - why do the moderators call themselves "GMG Mike", "GMG Tim", etc? It dates back to the 1990s on AOL, where forum leaders would have specal screennames such as "AFL Rod", which stood for (AOL, or maybe Apple) Forum Leader. Al was one such volunteer, I believe his name was either "AFC Alb" or "AFL Alb" - it had to be Alb, because Al was already taken. "AFC" was often used for non-leaders, the C stood for Consultant.

The naming convention changed sometime in the 2000's when AOL began to decline. I remember Al's other screen names were "HOST MGM Al" (MGM stood for Mac GaMes) and "LDRS GAME Al", LDRS standing for leaders. The Mac Games forum was gone, so Al was just a general leader in the games forum. As a leader, Al could moderate the GameMaker message boards.

Rod Whitten was the leader of Mac Games on AOL for a very long time - as early as 1993 and probably earlier. He helped to create the GameMaker SIG on AOL - it was something special. There was even a SilverCreator message board for a time - until they decided that any inactive message board should be deleted by the system, and slowly, attrition guaranteed the demise of almost the whole of AOL's message boards, save but for rare exceptions of mostly rubbish topics.

Due to a compensation lawsuit, all remaining Community Leaders were fired several years ago and any remaining community oriented forums/message boards were removed, effectively destroying the remaining vestiges of the old AOL community.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 03:45:25 AM by Mike_Richardson »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2010, 07:47:08 AM »
Wait, so the Mac GameMaker board I first started posting on was part of a much larger community?
I survived the spammage of 2007

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2010, 11:32:56 AM »
Wow Mike! How do you remember all my screen names? I had AFC Alb, HOST MGM Al, and LDRS Game Al. The lawsuit is just getting settled. I got a letter last month saying the settlement per person will be between $1000 and $3125. It's supposed to be finalized in May I think.

We had our own GameMaker message boards and downloading section to upload and download GameMaker (and later SilverCreator) games. Anyone who made a game could upload it and then I had to check it for viruses and play the game to make sure it was OK to release (no nudity, no excessive profanity, etc), and then I would edit the uploaders description of the game for spelling errors and a few other things like file size and stuff. I also uploaded some GameMaker games that people emailed to me who weren't on AOL and that I found on the web. I think we had around 700 or so GM games uploaded there. There was also a folder for uploading GM Tools and utilities like Mike's GM Online and GM Toolkit plus a few made by other people.

There was a Mac Games chat room that had a scheduled chat every week.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2010, 03:44:57 PM »
Woh... what a history! I thought you just wrote the app, set up the forum and waited for interest to gather, but that's absolutely incredible.

What's the lawsuit over? AOL shutting down their services?
I survived the spammage of 2007