Topic:   Trying to Learn Piano   (Read 4351 times)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
Trying to Learn Piano
« on: April 13, 2010, 04:13:29 PM »
I got back into Garageband awhile ago (after scrapping together enough mula to repurchase it) and recently I've been composing tracks for Epicus II. I'm really enjoying myself but some of the tunes are so catchy that I'm filled with a desire to play them. I'm out of practice with the guitar and I'd like to pick up a new instrument, so I'm trying to learn the piano. Does anyone else play or have any pointers for me on where to begin?
I survived the spammage of 2007

alias

Re: Trying to Learn Piano
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 10:35:21 PM »
I played piano. If you cant read sheet music LEARN TOO. From there on its just a matter of learning scales and practicing actually playing to get more dexterous.

Charlo

• GMG-er

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 07:05:30 AM »
I agree with Alias, learning to read musical notation is absolutely essential for both playing and composing.  You said you played guitar which isn't promising because many guitar players can't read sheet music.  :P

My dad is a professional piano/organ player but somehow I never got further than playing a few simple songs.  Good luck.  :)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 09:10:56 AM »
I agree with Alias, learning to read musical notation is absolutely essential for both playing and composing.  You said you played guitar which isn't promising because many guitar players can't read sheet music.  :P
*raises eyebrows in Dwayne Johnson fashion*

I've been playing, teaching and composing on guitar for years without every being able to read sheet music, so I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on that one. I'd love to learn it now that I'm moving onto piano though.

My dad is a professional piano/organ player but somehow I never got further than playing a few simple songs.  Good luck.  :)
Wow! :D Organs are the master of all instruments.

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 01:33:12 PM »

I disagree, I've been playing piano for 12 years now and I don't know how to read a single note. I think it's really a matter of whether the instrument is intuitive to you, or whether you need to follow steps to learn the instrument.

Charlo

• GMG-er

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 05:22:50 PM »

I disagree, I've been playing piano for 12 years now and I don't know how to read a single note. I think it's really a matter of whether the instrument is intuitive to you, or whether you need to follow steps to learn the instrument.
How do you learn a new piece?  Do you just listen to it and then play it by ear?  I'm not trying to be contrary, just curious.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 05:56:40 PM »
Yup, that's how I do it. Guitar tablature is a simplified form of musical notation which is also very useful.

GMG Hendo

• GMG-er

• [WITTY TEXT GOES HERE]
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 06:27:17 PM »
I agree with Alias, learning to read musical notation is absolutely essential for both playing and composing.

wrong wrong wrong wrong. I play piano and compose complex pieces without knowing how to read music.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 06:35:51 PM »
Funny enough we were just talking about you the other day whilst planning music for the iPhone project. I love the richness of your instruments in your Newgrounds songs, how do you arrange them so well?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 06:36:15 PM by Silverwind »

Charlo

• GMG-er

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 05:39:41 PM »

wrong wrong wrong wrong. I play piano and compose complex pieces without knowing how to read music.

Maybe you can, I don't doubt you, but you wouldn't be able to spread those pieces around for others to play unless you or someone else actually wrote them as sheet music.  I also think it's a lot more efficient to just sight-read music rather than try to play by ear, perhaps because I'm not good at it.  :P

I guess it's possible to have a solid grasp of music theory without knowing musical notation, but it really flies in the face of every single bit of musical education I've ever received.