Topic:   My Webcomic: 'Completely Unnecessary'   (Read 9309 times)

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

• I come from the swamps.
My Webcomic: 'Completely Unnecessary'
« on: January 20, 2010, 02:04:34 AM »
In the past week, a few of my friends and I have decided to make a webcomic. We've got a site up, and I'd love to know what you guys think (both now, and later on).
Check it out!
http://www.completelyunnecessary.com/
:)

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

Re: My Webcomic: 'Completely Unnecessary'
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 05:46:45 AM »
Web comics are the rage now a days.
I liked them
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

Xiphos

• GMG-er

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 06:38:07 AM »
Those were really funny!

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 08:19:09 AM »
i dont even get these, "that dragon was" "yea"..... what?! this comic really is unnecessary..... for me to read, i make a funny Lollolololol

Charlo

• GMG-er

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 08:27:54 AM »
I'm going to break it to you as gently as I can: there are so many webcomics out there and so many people devising new ones that I highly doubt this one will be successful.  Especially since the two strips you have don't make much sense unless you're an absurdist.  Also, the art style is very obviously done in paint, which is pretty amateurish.  Super Mega might be able to pull it off, but there's only room enough for one webcomic in that style.

People see the success of xkcd and ctrl-alt-del and think "I can do that" when they have no formal writing or art background.  Sorry to say, but if you don't even have one of those things, there is almost no chance for your comic to succeed.  If you're really, REALLY serious about getting this project off the ground, try posting on some webcomic forums where people might help you.  I say "might" because it's more likely that they'll trash your comic and you as a person until you give up.

I'm really not trying to be harsh here, but I'm trying to be realistic.  This seems like a case where you and your friends find something hilariously funny but nobody else really gets the joke.  I certainly don't.

The one good thing about this is that you didn't fall into the "two guys playing video games" trap that webcomic artists tend to fall into.   ;D

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 10:22:44 AM »
The dragon broke his egg how sad. But what was up with the guy on the ceiling?
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 11:14:43 AM »
Those comics were pretty funny. :) The style kind of reminds me of Kigndom of Loathing.

-Gandolf

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 11:54:24 AM »
I'm going to break it to you as gently as I can: there are so many webcomics out there and so many people devising new ones that I highly doubt this one will be successful.  Especially since the two strips you have don't make much sense unless you're an absurdist.  Also, the art style is very obviously done in paint, which is pretty amateurish.  Super Mega might be able to pull it off, but there's only room enough for one webcomic in that style.

People see the success of xkcd and ctrl-alt-del and think "I can do that" when they have no formal writing or art background.  Sorry to say, but if you don't even have one of those things, there is almost no chance for your comic to succeed.  If you're really, REALLY serious about getting this project off the ground, try posting on some webcomic forums where people might help you.  I say "might" because it's more likely that they'll trash your comic and you as a person until you give up.

I'm really not trying to be harsh here, but I'm trying to be realistic.  This seems like a case where you and your friends find something hilariously funny but nobody else really gets the joke.  I certainly don't.

The one good thing about this is that you didn't fall into the "two guys playing video games" trap that webcomic artists tend to fall into.   ;D
Woh... sorry Swamp, looks like your hopes and dreams of making a commercially successful web comic just aren't "realistic". It's back to the salt mines for you and your mates.

Hehehe... lighten up there Charlo, I don't think Swamp's planning to make a living with the comic, he's just having fun. ;) And as for needing a "formal" art background to draw a web comic, that's silly. I taught cartoons for years and I used to start students on comics by week 3.

If you're really, REALLY serious about getting this project off the ground...
Yeah, I don't think they are though. ::)
I survived the spammage of 2007

Charlo

• GMG-er

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 01:04:10 PM »
Woh... sorry Swamp, looks like your hopes and dreams of making a commercially successful web comic just aren't "realistic". It's back to the salt mines for you and your mates.

Hehehe... lighten up there Charlo, I don't think Swamp's planning to make a living with the comic, he's just having fun. ;) And as for needing a "formal" art background to draw a web comic, that's silly. I taught cartoons for years and I used to start students on comics by week 3.

Yeah, I don't think they are though. ::)
I know he's not going for a commercial venture here, or even a supplementary income.  I'm just saying to be successful a comic needs readers, which this one probably isn't going to get.  From my (admittedly limited) experience, comics that don't get any readers rarely last more than 20 or so strips.  I don't think anybody wants to put their work out there on a regular basis and not have anybody but friends and acquaintances look at it.

If it's "just for fun" all of my previous stuff can be safely ignored.  If it's just being made so you and your friends can get a few laughs out of it, that's fine, but I probably won't ever read it.     :)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 01:19:58 PM »
I don't think anybody wants to put their work out there on a regular basis and not have anybody but friends and acquaintances look at it.
Yeah, I'd guess so too, although I myself spent my childhood making paper RPGs that were only ever played by 4 people. Loved it.

Seeing as how everyone's making comics, here's two I did awhile back:

« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 05:31:27 PM by Silverwind »

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 04:35:34 PM »
It really is just for fun, and if we happen to get a few more readers out of it, thats a good thing too. Really just think its great for me and my friends to see what we can get out of this.

EDIT: I've got a few writers and two great artists on board, if you stick around, you'll eventually see what we've got planned for these characters/the comic as a whole.

EDIT 2: I've got formal experience in script/screenplay writing, as well as prose. And my artists have natural talent in the area. We WANT to make the drawings simple so the occasional detailed frame just pops out. As for characters, did anyone actually read the cast page?

« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 04:38:54 PM by Swampthing »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 05:15:30 PM »
I read it. :) Funny stuff, though "The guy who" sounds more natural to me than the "The man who".

How big is the team btw? You, another writer and two artists?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 05:22:17 PM by Silverwind »

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 07:05:19 PM »
Me, an artist, a writer, and an on/off writer and artist. 5 people. :)

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 09:48:25 PM »
My crtique:

Some of the jokes also require you to read the cast page. And I sometimes feel robbed of the punchline. Its getting there.
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 12:03:57 AM »
This is exactly the kind of stuff that I think is funny!

I don't even.