Topic:   New group project   (Read 14087 times)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
New group project
« on: October 22, 2008, 03:28:36 PM »
We're not interested in anyone who just wants to post a witty reminder on the lack of successful group projects. If you wanna spread your name around by taking part in a pretty nifty battle game however, get postin' boyo!

Here's the old topic, you know, for reference purposes: http://www.gamemakersgarage.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=looneybin;action=display;num=1224701716

Staff Wanted: People who want to see the game finished.

Game Description:
The entire game is 1 on 1 arena style combat. Each character is assigned a base set of attacks which vary depending on the character's class. (Fighter's focus on high damage, Archer's on range, Thieves on avoiding attacks and status ailments such as poisoning etc.) A character can learn up to 4 (maybe 3 instead?) attacks, after that they must delete a learned attack in order to learn a new one. New attacks can be bought in shops and possibly awarded after leveling up.

Since the whole game is really just a turn based battle engine, it should be easy to make. While it's probably best to keep the programming staff to a minimum, the more people willing to submit art the better. Once we draw up a rough damage table we can get rolling. I'll start on stat calibration right away.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 03:32:11 PM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
Re: New group project
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 05:33:12 PM »
I can do sprites, but no programing if this is made in GM. I'm not going to just start submitting stuff... someone needs to tell me what to make.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 07:22:15 PM »
I'm in. Tell me what to do, and expect it to be done pronto.

I program greatly in vb.net and sc, gm a little. I can make it in vb.net and convert to gm.

-Gandolf

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 03:29:30 AM »
I can do sprites, but no programing if this is made in GM. I'm not going to just start submitting stuff... someone needs to tell me what to make.
That's wise and appreciated. Basically we need pictures of fighters and monsters, and it doesn't matter if they don't match the art style of other artists participating. (if we even get more that is, hehe) The real point of this project is to let people express their creativity, so draw whatever comes into your head, be it werewolf paladins or possessed toilets. If we could get at least 15 combatants for the finished game it would be great, but realistically we should start with 3 or so.

A rough guide for character dimensions is 300 by 300, as that'll allow images to fit in the GM version.

I'm in. Tell me what to do, and expect it to be done pronto.

I program greatly in vb.net and sc, gm a little. I can make it in vb.net and convert to gm.

-Gandolf
Don't worry about rushing, you'll have plenty of time for that a few years down the line when you're working for Ubisoft trying to make the deadline for Elder Scrolls IX: Obliteration. ;D For now a few interface concepts would be useful. We need a canvas for the combatant pictures, a few buttons for attacks and a text field to display stats. I'm gonna attempt a multi client interface with GM. 1 window will display stats, the other for everything else.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 03:31:18 AM by Silverwind »

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 10:07:31 AM »
A rough guide for character dimensions is 300 by 300, as that'll allow images to fit in the GM version.
If you want more accurate character dimensions they are 311 Horizontally and 315 Vertically.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 02:53:41 PM »
If you want more accurate character dimensions they are 311 Horizontally and 315 Vertically.
hehehe, I know what you're thinking TD but I'm not actually trying to cut the picture box in half. ;) It'll look a bit nicer if the sprites don't cram up against the border of the GM window, so please ensure that 300 pixels is the maximum width or length of a character sprite. Most of my images are smaller, but I've got them centered in a 300x300 file.

By the way TD, thinking of drawing a combatant? You've got some pretty nifty art skills. :)

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 03:51:10 PM »
Should the sprites have any animation? Also, are we keeping within the boundaries of a swords and sorcery style?  

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 04:28:44 PM »
By the way TD, thinking of drawing a combatant? You've got some pretty nifty art skills. :)
Hmm... what picture have you been looking at? I didn't draw those monsters in labyrinth. I didn't draw 90% of the monsters in Dead man's cave. So what picture have you been looking at?
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 05:09:46 PM »
Should the sprites have any animation?
Static sprites would be easier to start with, but by all means add animations if you feel up to the task.

Also, are we keeping within the boundaries of a swords and sorcery style?
What do you guys think? Personally I'm happy to keep within that style, it's my favorite. We're not limited to humanoids though; monsters make great combatants.

Hmm... what picture have you been looking at? I didn't draw those monsters in labyrinth. I didn't draw 90% of the monsters in Dead man's cave. So what picture have you been looking at?
I think the old man in DMC was well drawn, as is the old man in Darksvile.

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 05:23:57 PM »
I think the old man in DMC was well drawn, as is the old man in Darksvile.
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL I didn't draw those. My sister did. LOL

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 05:32:09 PM »
Oh. They're pretty good drawings all the same.

Hey, would it be possible for someone to move this topic into the Group Projects forum?

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 09:25:39 AM »
no animations! keep it simple

alias

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 01:51:04 AM »
This project sounds cool, ill definitely be keeping an eye on it

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 04:44:43 PM »
Gotta type fast, iBook on 0 percent battery and I just realized that I left the charger in Sora's. Basically I haven't abandoned the project, just been busy with REALbasic. I'll post progress soon. (I've got 8 enemy designs finished. They're all Moon Fable enemies)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 04:45:32 PM by Silverwind »

Mystor

• GMG-er

• I am the myst that consumes us all.
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 05:21:49 PM »
Gotta type fast, iBook on 0 percent battery and I just realized that I left the charger in Sora's. Basically I haven't abandoned the project, just been busy with REALbasic. I'll post progress soon. (I've got 8 enemy designs finished. They're all Moon Fable enemies)
LOL
I am assuming you like realbasic then :P

the biggest problem with realbasic is how unwelcoming it's interface is.
Gamemaking apps need welcoming interfaces like flash and gamemekers'.
The thing I like about Flash and Gamemaker is that it gives you a clear canvas that you can change but it is welcoming and allows you to just spill out your ideas.

Mist
"I'll lie to him."
"And if that doesn't work?"
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&