Topic:   D_a_m_n should not be censored   (Read 44285 times)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: D_a_m_n should not be censored
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2009, 06:23:03 PM »
It's only funny because the listener doesn't expect it. Though that than depends on the listener. You could also think of some other cunningly hillarious word that could produce the same effect without the chance of offending someone.

-Gandolf

Xiphos

• GMG-er

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2009, 07:36:11 PM »
No one is going to be offended by a sentence that isn't aimed at them or effect them in anyway.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2009, 09:24:22 PM »
Too late. *Sad smile* Every time I read a post where someone curses/cussed freely, it pains me. As if a wave of depression washes across me. If they were having an extremely tragic day and they just broke up with a girl who they were suppose to be married to, I could understand. Though when people curse/cuss without really any reason... It makes me wonder what's this generation coming to these days?

-Gandolf

Telstar5

• GMG-er

• The sun is up, the sky is blue...
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2009, 10:18:56 PM »
It has a lot to do with location too. What might be highly offensive and politically incorrect in the states would be hilarious in Britain. (I won't mention the word, it's too risky!) Allow me to give my tuppence from a British point of view.

I don't know about the states, but every generation from 1950 and onward has swore for some reason. It could be the breakdown of morals, corruption of family values, heroin addicts and other you-heard-this-from-Fox-news-first excuses. I don't think there's anyone to blame except media outlets. You couldn't say 'bum' on television in 1974, and 'bottom' was also a big deal. Can you imagine the absolute outrage when a member of the Sex Pistols sat down for a television interview and told the presenter "You fucking rotter"? Nowadays, there's swearing in music on the radio, on TV, on the internet, often in newspapers - it goes on and on and on, all because of changes in culture, and nobody gives a toss. Eventually, we might find using the english language strange. We might all be using SMS lingo in ten years time.

It's difficult to remember where you are on the internet. Sometimes you're the only British guy in an American forum, sometimes it's the other way around. We have different customs, swearing - amongst other things - is one of them, and for whatever reason, American peoples find these customs very curious indeed.

Still, I can respect the fact some people don't like swearing, and I can live with censors - it's just 'd**n' isn't really that much of a huge swear word thesedays, like in the same way 'bum' was naughty back in the seventies, but doesn't even register now. At least, not on my radar.

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2009, 10:34:18 PM »
Too late. *Sad smile* Every time I read a post where someone curses/cussed freely, it pains me. As if a wave of depression washes across me. If they were having an extremely tragic day and they just broke up with a girl who they were suppose to be married to, I could understand. Though when people curse/cuss without really any reason... It makes me wonder what's this generation coming to these days?

You are really over-reacting to cuss words.

If I said something denouncing Jesus Christ, then that should upset you. I wouldn't say such things, because I have no reason to denounce Jesus, and because even if I did I know that phrase would be extremely hurtful and rightfully so.

The same goes for the N-word. Older black people are extremely offended by that word. (It pisses me off to see younger black people using that word and other forms of it). I would not use that word. It has specific connotations.

However, the word "damn" does not apply to any religion or ethnic group. The word "s**t" is merely a noun or adjective describing something of poor or undesirable quality.

"This PC is s**tty."
"Pick up all of that s**t in your room."

The F word has possible sexual connotations. Even the FCC (governing body for broadcast TV standards in USA) has permitted this word when used in a non-sexual manner (by U2 star Bono at a televised awards show, albeit accidentally), and numerous times in a 9/11 documentary aired by CBS.

HarryCaray

• GMG-er

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2009, 10:55:45 PM »
cuss
Ahh yes, sweet sweet victory.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2009, 11:27:31 PM »
D*** means D***ation. Which is a word to curse misforune on something. "I d*** you to H***!!!!" is a prime example of cursing/cussing with it. When you say that word under your breath to yourself, you are cursing your existance. The word itself is actually used a frequently in religious texts refering to those who will be enduring eternal punishment.

-Gandolf

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2009, 11:27:48 PM »
Ahh yes, sweet sweet victory.

I'm from Texas, so I normally do use the word cuss.

Telstar5

• GMG-er

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2009, 11:28:32 PM »
cuss

Southern America reminds me of this scene from Silence of the Lambs.

http://www.youtube.com/v/G4qblq0uahw&hl=en&fs=1

[/offtopic]

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2009, 11:28:42 PM »
D*** means D***ation. Which is a word to curse misforune on something. "I d*** you to H***!!!!" is a prime example of cursing/cussing with it. When you say that word under your breath to yourself, you are cursing your existance. The word itself is actually used a frequently in religious texts refering to those who will be enduring eternal punishment.

-Gandolf

So you are in fact saying that s**t is better than d**n, at least in a religious context?

Unfortunately, this forum is not operated within the confines of a religious context.

Telstar5

• GMG-er

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2009, 11:32:28 PM »
That all depends on ghost's views to religion. He's the person that owns the forum.

Agreed, the subject of the forum is making Mac games and discussing them, but it could be on the same server as, say, one of Wordweaver's websites, and the TOS states that the word damn must be banned, lest we all go to hell and burn for eternity.

I wonder if the morbidly obese take longer to burn?

On an unrelated note.. good lord, Wordweaver. He was strange as buggery.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 11:35:07 PM by Telstar5 »

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2009, 11:39:41 PM »
That all depends on ghost's views to religion. He's the person that owns the forum.

Ghost does not appear to have imposed any kind of religious beliefs onto the GMG. That is how it should be.

Agreed, the subject of the forum is making Mac games and discussing them, but it could be on the same server as, say, one of Wordweaver's websites, and the TOS states that the word damn must be banned, lest we all go to hell and burn for eternity.

On an unrelated note.. good lord, Wordweaver. He was strange as buggery.

The TOS would only apply to people accessing the WordWeaver portion of the server.

Whatever happened to WordWeaver anyway? It looks like his Hotline server is gone. He did have one of the longest running servers. It looks like Hotline is down to about 50 servers or less on the biggest tracker.

He also ran Chatline for a few months, and Spy for a number of years (perhaps as recent as 2008 ). That would make him the longest known Spy user as well.

Telstar you asked if I would be working on any other Mac software - I may in fact create a Universal version of Spy. The current old versions are located at http://macintoshspy.com/
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 11:39:56 PM by Mike_Richardson »

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2009, 11:56:40 PM »
Words to me are just sounds invented by humans to convey some meaning to other humans. We have tied offensive meanings to certain words, but cussing is not the end of the world. I think a lot of swear words have shifted away from their original "religious" meanings, and are used differently in the context of a modern society.

I don't think you should get upset if someone says "damn." You have your own personal beliefs, and when I used the word "damn," I'm not intentionally cursing anyone in particular-- I'm just using an expression (the equivalent of "darn").

Ghost

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2009, 12:08:00 AM »
This is a very touchy topic so my input is that I don't think members of the GMG should purposely go around trying to offend one another. As to whether certain words should be censored is an entirely different matter. I would hope that everyone would do their best not to offend anyone. but even if a word is censored if the word is only partially censored and someone can decipher what the person was trying to say the censor has failed. So pretty much nothing is censored.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 12:08:41 AM by Tireas_Dragon »
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Telstar5

• GMG-er

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2009, 01:13:48 AM »
The TOS would only apply to people accessing the WordWeaver portion of the server.

Whatever happened to WordWeaver anyway? It looks like his Hotline server is gone. He did have one of the longest running servers. It looks like Hotline is down to about 50 servers or less on the biggest tracker.

He also ran Chatline for a few months, and Spy for a number of years (perhaps as recent as 2008 ). That would make him the longest known Spy user as well.

Telstar you asked if I would be working on any other Mac software - I may in fact create a Universal version of Spy. The current old versions are located at http://macintoshspy.com/

Wordweaver is still around in his strange, apocolyptic ridden hole. He's still running his Telnet BBS from what I can see.

http://www.endtimeprophecy.org/ArmageddonBBS/

I have one question; why do you always use Team Rocket on your pages? I mean, they're awesome and all, but I'm just intrigued. Perhaps a screenshot or a photo of you sitting next to your trophy Mac would be more appropriate?