Topic:   Roguesoft RPG Engine?   (Read 79846 times)

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

Re: Roguesoft RPG Engine?
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2010, 10:22:03 AM »
i dropped neo 2 but i continued to develop the engine here and there, ive been busy the past couple years, and now with sc2.0 ive really been able to bring it back to life.

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2010, 10:40:09 AM »
i forgot about neo 2, im surprised to you mentioned it, i havent worked on that in years,  but it was in production for a while, i dug it up, i figure i'll post it sinse i have to interest in finishing it, so here it is
I thought "to" was a typo that was intended to mean "no"
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2010, 10:47:14 AM »
Same here.

-Gan

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2010, 06:04:14 PM »
Here's a slight update:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ljuijroigdj

It's mainly just an example of a complete room with treasure chests, NPCs and whatnot. I've decided to package all of my entity sprites with the engine too, as well as a basic stat table and a few music tracks. Making RPG's will be easier than ever before! Yippee! :D
I survived the spammage of 2007

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2010, 06:21:13 PM »
Really laggy, but that might just be me.

The death sound was awesome :D

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2010, 06:29:48 PM »
Really laggy, but that might just be me.
Nah, unfortunately it's noticeably laggy for me too. I don't mind the slowed movement much myself, but it keeps track of key input two turns in advance, meaning if you double tap by mistake it'll cost you a turn.

The death sound was awesome :D
Yeah, it took ages to get that right. ;D You should check out the SFX library: http://www.gamemakersgarage.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=gametime;action=display;num=1265119690

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2010, 10:25:12 AM »
It is laggy but In GM 4 (which is gonna come out in 2013) it will run fine.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2010, 12:51:27 PM »
I've got "events" working now, so you can pause gameplay for dialogue cutscenes and whatnot. I'll post an update soon, I'm nearly ready to officially release it.

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2010, 01:08:50 PM »
What would you need pausing for? Isn't it turn based?

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2010, 04:27:09 PM »
Yeah, but it prevents the player from walking around with the arrow keys and whatnot while there's a cutscene. That's just one example mind you, you can do all sorts of things with an event. Events are a way to call completely custom routines, which normally wouldn't be possible with my global engine structure (not enough LoC space).

EDIT:

Here's a screencast example: http://screencast.com/t/Njg3ZmVkNmQ
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 07:14:30 PM by Silverwind »

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2010, 07:20:43 PM »
Err are you actually turning keydown off to do your events? If you are it isn't necessary. You just have to modify the keydown code to be off when event is in place for example

ON KEYDOWN
  IF event = 0 THEN
   do awesome engine
  ELSE
    IF keydown$ = " " THEN event = event + 1
  END IF
END KEYDOWN

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2010, 07:39:42 PM »
thats a great idea, (im not sure how gm works) could you also store the code of an event on a seperate card and just goto that card when you want to call on that code like a method.(do sprites stay on the screen when you change cards?) and store the card number in a variable like let stats=5  //card 5,  so you can just say "gotocard stats" then "gotocard recentcard" to go back? how do events work?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 07:47:28 PM by EqwanoX »

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2010, 08:02:58 PM »
Well Theoretically you could put the events on another card. The problem with that is sprites don't stay on the screen so you would have to make them reappear wouldn't be hard I think you can use

x = 0
REPEAT 20
x = x + 1
SPRITE x
END REPEAT

I haven't tried this so I am not sure that would work.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2010, 03:13:20 AM »
Err are you actually turning keydown off to do your events? If you are it isn't necessary. You just have to modify the keydown code to be off when event is in place
Certainly, but you'd quickly hit the LoC per routine limit. This method allows you to execute code from another card without interrupting the keydown and timer routines (in my example I actually do interrupt the keydown and timer routines, but that's because I didn't want them active during the dialogue).

thats a great idea, (im not sure how gm works) could you also store the code of an event on a seperate card and just goto that card when you want to call on that code like a method.(do sprites stay on the screen when you change cards?) and store the card number in a variable like let stats=5  //card 5,  so you can just say "gotocard stats" then "gotocard recentcard" to go back? how do events work?
Yup, that's how global events work, which can initiate from any card/room. A local/room event only initiates if you're in a specified room. The code for a local event is stored in the specified room's card script, and to call it you simply reload the card with the variable triggerRoomEvent set to x, x being the event you want to trigger.

It's a nifty workaround for want of methods. :)

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2010, 10:58:33 AM »
Looks great.