Topic:   Hello GameMakers!   (Read 8121 times)

airwalke

• GMG Newbie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Hello GameMakers!
« on: August 24, 2008, 07:58:06 PM »
I just ran across GameMaker on the MacGameFiles site, and suddenly got nostalgic. I don't know how many of you remember me, or if anyone changed user names from the AOL GM board/early GMG days. I recognize Eq and Ghost, but I didn't see any others. I'll have to check out some of these games I've missed. ;)

I've been really busy with college lately, going to switch to Graphic Design this semester. Maybe I can get back into creating games, maybe make that RPG I've always wanted to do, but never focused any attention on.

Anyway, I just wanted to say "hi", glad to see the homebrew community still chugging along. ;D

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

Re: Hello GameMakers!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 05:55:23 PM »
hey airwalke!

nice to see you around. this whole community was born out of my gamemaker nostalgia. =D

im studying computer science at ucd right now, so ive got my hands pretty full as well, but it's nice to keep a solid gamemaker userbase since it's where my computer science roots started.

ghost

Cujoo

• GMG Newbie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 03:41:05 AM »
I just had the same experience you did Airwalke...I don't know if you remember me either, but I just wanted to say hello and I hope you are doing well.

Telstar5

• GMG-er

• The sun is up, the sky is blue...
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 03:51:16 AM »
Holy crap. Suddenly everyone's getting nostalgic about Gamemaker.

Hello, strange old timers :)

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 04:57:31 AM »
This is smartkid88.

DarkL2030

• GMG Newbie

• no avatar

• buried by time and dust
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 07:23:08 PM »
Bumping and old post here, but the topic is ancient history anyway so why not? Its the time of year that nostalgia hits me I guess, how's it going Airwalke and Cujoo? Smartkid88, I think I still remember you as "TR Meowth Meowth" or something similiar  :P

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 07:25:44 PM »
Hehe, Mike was known as Meowth?

Hey Dark. Nice seeing a new face. Err, an old face from way back. You don't know me, I can much after you.
Glad you found this place though. :D

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

• Sorry for being such a noob
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 08:46:05 PM »
those names are foreign to me. It's like I'm looking at names in a graveyard.
Just your average Weekend Warrior.
Yes I know I have bad spelling, it's what makes me such a good programmer!

"Old art, weather magnificent or wretched, is always the raw material of new art. The artist's job, though, is to

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 08:55:27 PM »
Bumping and old post here, but the topic is ancient history anyway so why not? Its the time of year that nostalgia hits me I guess, how's it going Airwalke and Cujoo? Smartkid88, I think I still remember you as "TR Meowth Meowth" or something similiar  :P
Hey Dark!  This is Circuit11.  How are you doing?  I remember your game Brasseye 005.  I would always laugh when I shot that one bad guy in the groin, blowing up the grenade which he had concealed there, without remorse...

...of course.   ;D

(For everyone else: this is an inside joke.  DarkL2030 always put the words "of course" at the bottom of his signature on the AOL forums.)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:04:31 PM by Circuit »

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 09:02:16 PM »
those names are foreign to me. It's like I'm looking at names in a graveyard.
HEY!  Respect your elders, young man!  ::reaches for cane::

DarkL2030

• GMG Newbie

• no avatar

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 11:50:45 PM »
Circuit man, it's really great to know you still remember my game. You must have been the biggest fan that game ever had, I remembered when you IMed for the first time, a young noob to the GameMaker world, raving about my game and asking me to check out one of your first titles, I believe it was called Jeans Snatcher? Alas, the sequel to Brasseye was almost completed when it was lost forever to a hard drive crash.
My later masterpeice World War X may also be lost forever. It was rejected from the AOL files by an asinine AOL staff member named "AFL Rod," due to its using "copyrighted" sounds from movies and songs (sounds that not only would be considered fine to use under "fair use" in todays internet, but which had been ripped from earlier gamemaker games on aol! the bastard), So I had to upload it to a free user site that has long since disappeared, so it never got archived by Mike. If only I had used angelfire, like this GMer who has preserved a link to my old site and a number of others. I think all those links are long dead except for that of Mobuli, the creater of Space Can Suck. www.angelfire.com/mac/mtrodaba2468/powersoftware/links.html

I know its a long shot, but I believe World War X was included on a big GameMaker games CD that a GMer known as "Jazznalien" sold to a bunch of people. I believe these CDs also contained all 7 or so of his "Secret Agent Bob" games many of which also were not on the AOL files. If any true old schoolers somehow still have this CD, or my game on an ancient Mac somewhere, it would be a true miracle. Any other games that are somehow extant but aren't part of Mike's archive should also be uploaded and preserved for posterity.

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

• Sorry for being such a noob
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 11:38:32 AM »
Seret agent bob  :o
I know that name, he created Charlie the Unicorn. I've been dying to play his games.
Dark you may even want to ask Al, if he ever comes on again. I know he has an external hard drive with a lot of old games on it. He brought it up when I asked him for one of the SecretAgentBob games. But he never got back to me, if he had found it.
Just your average Weekend Warrior.
Yes I know I have bad spelling, it's what makes me such a good programmer!

"Old art, weather magnificent or wretched, is always the raw material of new art. The artist's job, though, is to

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 05:32:51 PM »
Circuit man, it's really great to know you still remember my game. You must have been the biggest fan that game ever had, I remembered when you IMed for the first time, a young noob to the GameMaker world, raving about my game and asking me to check out one of your first titles, I believe it was called Jeans Snatcher? Alas, the sequel to Brasseye was almost completed when it was lost forever to a hard drive crash.
LOL, Jeans Snatcher.  I wish you didn't remember that one!  Most of my games can be explained as being a product of violent impulses and intellectual immaturity, very typical for kids that age, and completely harmless.  But that game... a child psychologist would probably interpret it as a sign of something worse...!   I don't know why or how I ever made such a creepy game.  Let's not talk about that ever again.   :o
It's a shame that Brasseye 2 was lost.  I remember you talking about it on the forums.  I was looking forward to playing it.

My later masterpeice World War X may also be lost forever. It was rejected from the AOL files by an asinine AOL staff member named "AFL Rod," due to its using "copyrighted" sounds from movies and songs (sounds that not only would be considered fine to use under "fair use" in todays internet, but which had been ripped from earlier gamemaker games on aol! the bastard), So I had to upload it to a free user site that has long since disappeared, so it never got archived by Mike. If only I had used angelfire, like this GMer who has preserved a link to my old site and a number of others. I think all those links are long dead except for that of Mobuli, the creater of Space Can Suck. www.angelfire.com/mac/mtrodaba2468/powersoftware/links.html
I remember AFL Rod.  He put up my game "Alien Slaughter" but later took it down after he found out that it contained copyrighted sounds.  He told me that I should request permission from Bungie to use the sounds (I borrowed 2 effects from Marathon) and that the licensing fees were very reasonable.  He didn't understand that I was 12 years old, and that I wasn't hurting anybody.  He enjoyed his job way too much.   >:(
I remember Power Software and the Journey of Milo demo.  That was a cool game too.  It's amazing that their site is still up.
Mobuli made a TV movie based on Space Can Suck, and another movie called Hitman's Handbook.  He was really talented.  I wonder what he's doing these days.

I know its a long shot, but I believe World War X was included on a big GameMaker games CD that a GMer known as "Jazznalien" sold to a bunch of people. I believe these CDs also contained all 7 or so of his "Secret Agent Bob" games many of which also were not on the AOL files. If any true old schoolers somehow still have this CD, or my game on an ancient Mac somewhere, it would be a true miracle. Any other games that are somehow extant but aren't part of Mike's archive should also be uploaded and preserved for posterity.
I'd like to play it.  I vaguely remember hearing about that CD, although I never got one.  I think I'll e-mail Jason and ask him if he still has a copy.  In this age of high-speed internet, I bet he'd be willing to upload the games to rapidshare or someplace.
Is this the archive that you're referring to, or is there another one that I don't know about?  This one says "Created by the Game Maker's Garage", which I think means it was made by Ghost, not Mike: http://www.box.com/shared/ijvs45xf2v
I know what you mean about wanting to preserve the games for posterity.  For the past couple of years I've been trying to collect as many of the old GM games as I can.  I downloaded all of the games from that archive, and a handful of others from Al's site and from the Games section of this site.  I'm still looking for 2nd Terror Protocol, Alien in the Land o' Spam, Cola Quest, FAWG, FBI, Joe's Lost, the Luke Nukem series, at least 1 of the Mining Camp games, Skate or Die, and Twister Snowboarding.  It seems that most if not all of the JFK Arts games are missing.  Some of Patkicks' games may be missing, but it's hard to know, because he began several series and never finished any of them.  I think that FSWTaylor's games are gone too.

EDIT: By the way Kurt, most of the SAB games are in that archive.   Look for Secret Agent Bob, S.A. Bob, and RPG Bob.  :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 05:38:49 PM by Circuit »

DarkL2030

• GMG Newbie

• no avatar

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 06:02:26 PM »
MAN, Cola Quest was one of the greatest games ever, and that was before GM had any scripting at all. That's a real shame that some of those games from AOL somehow never got archived.

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 09:11:46 AM »
Wow. Great to see some old names from way back on the AOL forums. Circuit, I have a few of those games you mentioned. I should put a bunch of them on a web site for GameMaker nostalgia.