Topic:   How did you find GM or silver creator?   (Read 9131 times)

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

Re: How did you find GM or silver creator?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 08:24:59 PM »
You make me look pathetic...

I found it when I was 8ish... and since then I have learned: AS2, AS3, PHP, HTML and... that... is... about... it...

OUCH :P

Mist

Keep in mind I'm a junior in college, so I've got some age advantage. =P I omitted web languages because I was trying to focus on compilable languages you can use to make standalone apps.

Web-wise, I know PHP, AJAX/Javascript, CSS, HTML/XHTML, SSI, Adobe Flex/Flash, XML, and Perl.

- Ghost

Mystor

• GMG-er

• I am the myst that consumes us all.
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 05:19:13 AM »
Yah...

I only know web technologies :P

one second...
I forgot about applescript ::)

Mist
"I'll lie to him."
"And if that doesn't work?"
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 07:50:35 AM »
i never wanted to learn programming cause im more of an artist, i just wanted to make the graphics, and someone contacted me about remaking rpg neo and we started working on it, i eventually made all the graphics for it but the kid never really produced much. i thought al could do it sinse he made GM so i sent him the stuff but nothing happened, after months of sitting on the graphics i actually started makeing character animations that i would eventually use in mystic legend. but i couldnt just leave neo unfinished so at some point i decided to give sc a chance, it took me months to make neo, i practically reprogrammed it 3 times over before releaseing the final version and later i rereleased it two more times with better features. i also made gandel at the same time but i spaced out their release dates

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 12:53:10 PM »
Wow, and you know more about SC than anyone. Shows you how you can learn what you need when you need to.
I survived the spammage of 2007

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 02:21:58 PM »
i never wanted to learn programming cause im more of an artist, i just wanted to make the graphics, and someone contacted me about remaking rpg neo and we started working on it, i eventually made all the graphics for it but the kid never really produced much. i thought al could do it sinse he made GM so i sent him the stuff but nothing happened, after months of sitting on the graphics i actually started makeing character animations that i would eventually use in mystic legend. but i couldnt just leave neo unfinished so at some point i decided to give sc a chance, it took me months to make neo, i practically reprogrammed it 3 times over before releaseing the final version and later i rereleased it two more times with better features. i also made gandel at the same time but i spaced out their release dates

How good are you with tiled graphics and animations? I'm working on a MMPORPG right now, and although I've only got the base engine down, I'll eventually need a graphics artist.

Ghost

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2008, 03:25:17 PM »
I've been obsessed with video games as long as I can remember... I always made up ideas and stories for games that I would make in the future. So one day I come home and decide that I am going to make a a game, and start searching for a free gamemaker. I found TNT Basic, and it was then that I realized that making a game actually involves effort and skill :P . So then I looked around for a easier tool and found gamemaker, but I read some review of gamemaker on a download site that said that there was a program that was basically the same as GM, but free. So now I use silver creator :D

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2008, 04:50:08 PM »

I'm working on a MMPORPG right now, and although I've only got the base engine down, I'll eventually need a graphics artist.

Ghost
Have you given any thought to stat balancing? I'd love to hear any formulas you're brewing, as I still find it immensely difficult.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 04:50:51 PM by Silverwind »

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2008, 06:14:00 PM »
Have you given any thought to stat balancing? I'd love to hear any formulas you're brewing, as I still find it immensely difficult.

I'm not familiar with what stat balancing is-- perhaps you could just explain it, because I don't know the term.

I'm not working on the MMPORPG in GameMaker, which means the system is completely different. It uses a Python server and a BlitzMax client, and creates a TCP socket connection to transfer data between the two. I can tell you how the game is structured, however.

There are 3 main arrays: one keeps track of what to draw on the screen (a text map), one keeps track of where the boundaries are, and one keeps track of where the other players are on the map.

There is a TCP server and a file server (just a basic web server). The TCP server sends/receives messages and player coordinates. The client downloads anything it needs (sprite sheets, map tiles, even maps), so that modifying maps is very easy, without downloading a whole new client.

Any other questions, just ask.

- Ghost

jeremymaharg

• GMG Newbie

• Jeremymaharg Software
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2008, 06:28:39 PM »

I'm not familiar with what stat balancing is-- perhaps you could just explain it, because I don't know the term.
I think he means balancing of status points (like max. HP, MP, etc.) for RPG playable characters and monsters to make sure the monsters aren't easily beaten or unbeatable.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 06:31:13 PM by jeremymaharg »
[url=http://

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2008, 03:25:37 AM »
Indeed. Balancing (or "stat balancing") is the real work behind games. From the simplest Flash RPGs to WoW, balance is the key to everything. Ensuring items are priced right, making monsters the correct strength, having the amount of treasure found in each area suit the players current level. It's all tedious work.