Topic:   How did you find GM or silver creator?   (Read 9139 times)

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

How did you find GM or silver creator?
« on: March 11, 2008, 07:29:01 PM »
I found mine like this.

After getting fed up with my friend constantly bragging about how he makes games I decided to try to make some on my own. So I went on the site
http://www.yoyogames.com and found that it was not mac compatible. so I googled "mac gamemaker" and found Al's site. I liked the demo and learned the language fast. my parents were so impressed they let me get the full version. Now I Ā impress my friend with my awesome games. ( well maybe not so awesome, but still)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 07:30:20 PM by Gnome_Again »
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
Re: How did you find GM or silver creator?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 03:34:17 AM »
That's excellent Gnome. :) What I really like about the story is how you thought yourself the language, and didn't need someone else to teach you. And more importantly that you decided to put in the hard work of learning the language out of your own free will. The story shows the positive side to education, where people want to learn. It also shows that you don't need to sit in school 7 hours a day in order to learn. ;)

I found GM after months of MMORPG engine searching. It's funny, because back then I was looking for an engine that would allow me to make a game without any knowledge of programming, but now nearly a year later I find programming the most enjoyable part of game making.
I survived the spammage of 2007

jeremymaharg

• GMG Newbie

• Jeremymaharg Software
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 02:31:35 PM »
I was interested in making some games of my own, so over time I downloaded and experimented with a large number of game creator apps, and even repeatedly rented and eventually bought a PlayStation "game" called RPG Maker. I eventually found GameMaker, and decided it was the easiest to use out of all of the things I tried out (plus it was able to make standalone game apps, which was a particularly nice feature that few of the other apps could do).
[url=http://

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 03:35:33 PM »
I was interested in making some games of my own, so over time I downloaded and experimented with a large number of game creator apps, and even repeatedly rented and eventually bought a PlayStation "game" called RPG Maker.
Wow! I've heard of RPG Maker but never seen it running. Was it the PS2 version?

jeremymaharg

• GMG Newbie

• Jeremymaharg Software
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 04:34:49 PM »
Wow! I've heard of RPG Maker but never seen it running. Was it the PS2 version?
It's the PSone version. Its graphics look like a 2D RPG made for an NES console. It's a decent game creator, but it has many limitations. It (sort of) has a limited "scripting" capability, but it is very tedious to use, since it all has to be done with a PlayStation controller. I still have it and I could post some screenshots if you like...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 05:47:54 PM by jeremymaharg »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 05:52:24 PM »
That'd be cool if you were able to. :) Yeah, I'd imagine a PS controller to be a difficult workspace for game design. :P I still find it time consuming typing with them. ::)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 05:52:50 PM by Silverwind »

jeremymaharg

• GMG Newbie

• Jeremymaharg Software
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »
That'd be cool if you were able to. :) Yeah, I'd imagine a PS controller to be a difficult workspace for game design. :P I still find it time consuming typing with them. ::)
Here are a few of the screenshots i did. This isn't all of them, but these are a few of the better ones (I don't want to flood this post with pics). The game content featured in these screenshots are from the included sample game, Gobli.
Events (scripting):

Items:

The remainder of the screenshots I captured will temporarily be available here as a .sit archive.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 10:34:13 PM by jeremymaharg »

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 09:51:08 PM »
Typing on a Playstation controller :o that's hard!

The way I learned the code was by looking at the example and adding it to a game and such. I would then see how I could modify it as you can see in my battle engine, it's a hybrid between Al's example and some of my own, most these experiments are on Gnome quest.

Then I downloaded Epicus. I loved so much the leveling up system worked to perfection as well as everything else, so I tried to make an engine like that. It blew up in my face. I still working on a leveling up system and a weapon system, but it still needs work, and I won't be worked on until Trench warfare is done.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 09:53:02 PM by Gnome_Again »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 04:04:01 AM »
I can make you a really easy to understand weapon and armor system. :) And an exp system too. I'll post on the MGM forums when I finish the engine.

Also, thanks for the pics Jeremy. :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 05:45:31 AM by Silverwind »

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 03:01:20 PM »
thx Silverwind!

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 03:56:34 PM »
Ok, It's finished and downloadable from www.roguesoft.co.uk

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 04:54:11 PM »
Wow, it's nearly exactly a whole year since I discovered GM and started programming. I'm amazed with what I've learned in such a short space of time, but I can only wonder what more I'll know another year down the line...

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 05:43:45 PM »
I discovered GameMaker when I was 11 or 12, learned the language, and made a few games. Since then I've learned Python, C, BlitzMax, REALbasic, TNT Basic, C++, Ruby, Cocoa, Lua, and Java. Now I'm a computer science major, and I enjoy all the stuff I do, thanks in part due to GameMaker!

Ghost

Mystor

• GMG-er

• I am the myst that consumes us all.
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 07:14:57 PM »
I discovered GameMaker when I was 11 or 12, learned the language, and made a few games. Since then I've learned Python, C, BlitzMax, REALbasic, TNT Basic, C++, Ruby, Cocoa, Lua, and Java. Now I'm a computer science major, and I enjoy all the stuff I do, thanks in part due to GameMaker!

Ghost
You make me look pathetic...

I found it when I was 8ish... and since then I have learned: AS2, AS3, PHP, HTML and... that... is... about... it...

OUCH :P

Mist
"I'll lie to him."
"And if that doesn't work?"
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

• I come from the swamps.
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 07:33:19 PM »
Well....

One day I was strolling down the street after just having completed an epic mac game (forget the name). I wanted to try and express my creativity in this medium, so I started looking for mac game creation programs. After a week of toiling, I found and purchased GM. The more I used it, the more I learned, and the more I liked it in turn. From that moment on, GM was my favourite game creation program. (That is, until I buy Torque 3d :P)

Nah, GM will still be up there for its simplicity in code and flexible engine. Great stuff Al, great stuff.

P.S I know some actionscript, and also some html. Not massive compared to you both. :D
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 07:34:15 PM by Swampthing »