Topic:   All Engine Contest?   (Read 37635 times)

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
Re: All Engine Contest?
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2008, 12:38:47 PM »
*sigh*

(i know sc or gm arent "advanced  ::) enough for you
... I never said that.

I will make a quick GBA game and post it soon.

As for my game, I'd like to see you make a completely new battle engine with advanced AI in a short amount of time...

« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 12:40:12 PM by WarHampster »

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2008, 01:56:20 PM »
what would advanced ai be? my programming skills arent in question here. what have you done so far on the game your supposedly working on right now? i want pics or screencast

i liked the arcade theme contest, i think we should stay with the genre thing and go with platform or racing games for the next contest
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 02:00:42 PM by EqwanoX »

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2008, 04:50:31 PM »
Ugghh... don't use Silverlight. Stick to Flash or Flex-- they're much more widely distributed, and much more widely supported (because they've been around for so long).

Just to give you some insight into the game development world-- if you work for a company like EA or Blizzard, you'll be coding almost exclusively in C++ for the game engine. For online framework, it'll be a combination of Python, PHP, and MySQL.

Right now what I'm studying is information interfaces and data visualization. It ties in very nicely to game development. =D

Ghost

Mystor

• GMG-er

• I am the myst that consumes us all.
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2008, 04:52:36 PM »
Ugghh... don't use Silverlight. Stick to Flash or Flex-- they're much more widely distributed, and much more widely supported (because they've been around for so long).

Just to give you some insight into the game development world-- if you work for a company like EA or Blizzard, you'll be coding almost exclusively in C++ for the game engine. For online framework, it'll be a combination of Python, PHP, and MySQL.

Right now what I'm studying is information interfaces and data visualization. It ties in very nicely to game development. =D

Ghost
The problem is that silverlight is free and flash/flex costs $300+

Mist
"I'll lie to him."
"And if that doesn't work?"
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Mystor

• GMG-er

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2008, 04:57:18 PM »
This looks like I could learn C# and participate in these contests at the same time :)

http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

I am looking into it more now..

Mist
"I'll lie to him."
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2008, 05:53:01 PM »
what have you done so far on the game your supposedly working on right now? i want pics or screencast
Why do you doubt me... like I said in my game's topic, I finished making a new tile engine, and have finished the character's movement during the movement phase on that new tile engine. I'm currently working on the AI's movement during the movement phase. What would be the point of posting screens or a movie of me highlighting tiles on a map and then the the character following that path... that is nothing that hasn't been done before in SC. When I finish the AI and the battle phase, then I'll feel like I've made something new and worthy of taking a movie of.

I'm also in the middle of making a GBA game to prove that I can program... it's a side scrolling shooter.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 05:53:27 PM by WarHampster »

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2008, 11:58:37 PM »
Equinox doesn't want words he wants proof he wants a screen shot. He wants a screencast. You can't make him believe you until you provide him with one of these things.

P.S. It is very easy to take a screenshot on a mac just press  SHIFT+COMMAND+4. Then select what you want to take a picture of.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2008, 05:06:30 AM »
The problem is that silverlight is free and flash/flex costs $300+

Mist

Flex is actually free for students, and I believe they recently open-sourced their SDK. Getting Flex if you're a student is just a matter of scanning and uploading your student ID, and they email you a code.

Ghost

Mystor

• GMG-er

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2008, 08:07:59 AM »
Flex is actually free for students, and I believe they recently open-sourced their SDK. Getting Flex if you're a student is just a matter of scanning and uploading your student ID, and they email you a code.

Ghost
Yes, but I am not a university/college student...

Mist
"I'll lie to him."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2008, 10:48:30 AM »

highlighted tiles

character sprite moved along highlighted path

I clearly haven't bothered to make the battles very graphically shiny yet... this is just for testing.

BELIEVE IT.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2008, 01:01:06 PM »
 well... its something.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2008, 01:06:19 PM »
What would be the point of posting screens or a movie of me highlighting tiles on a map and then the the character following that path... that is nothing that hasn't been done before in SC. When I finish the AI and the battle phase, then I'll feel like I've made something new and worthy of taking a movie of.
They're not very exciting... which is why I didn't want to post them.

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2008, 01:01:21 PM »
Well even my bad guys would move along the highlighted path the fun part is when you try to make your bad guys move out of a ditch by going away from you then going around it to get you.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2008, 02:23:47 PM »
That isn't a baddie, it's the player's character...

My AI will hopefully be able to do that (figure out the best way to get to it's destination), and more.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2008, 12:15:52 PM »
if we do an engine contest, we should attemp making battle engines that support multiple enemies, or a sprite based inventory, those would be some nice features to have ina game
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 12:17:10 PM by EqwanoX »