Topic:   First GMG Game Making Contest   (Read 27087 times)

Mystor

• GMG-er

• I am the myst that consumes us all.
Re: First GMG Game Making Contest
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2008, 05:55:19 AM »
Yah... Mase II is amazing in the amount of cards that it has!
I don't understand EQ's game but it seems like it was well done!
But I think that my current winner is Silver because the storyline immediately gets you into the game.

Mist (PS I haven't beat QoM yet... Is there anything funny like in moon fable?)

PPS Until I beat QoM or get explained what EQ's game is, I will not vote.
"I'll lie to him."
"And if that doesn't work?"
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2008, 07:39:44 AM »
Mist (PS I haven't beat QoM yet... Is there anything funny like in moon fable?)
Nah, this is my first game that doesn't contain random lunaty. (lunaty should be a word) It's got a much more serious and detailed story line, and weapons, armors and enemies all have proper names. I'm gonna get back to MF right after this though, as I love the random stuff as well.
I survived the spammage of 2007

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2008, 02:38:47 PM »
Im Voting for QoM for it's awesome battle system.

And it's nice use of grid code.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 02:48:00 PM by Gnome_Again »
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

Mystor

• GMG-er

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2008, 02:42:22 PM »
Okay...

So I got bored and hacked QOM.

I changed: My Gender, My Sprite, My HP, My MP, and My Gold!

Mistt (EDIT: I made a screencast: http://screencast.com/t/7tPeDO7l)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 02:42:57 PM by mistron »
"I'll lie to him."
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Mystor

• GMG-er

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2008, 02:47:20 PM »
I am looking into how much I can hack QoM now :P

Mist
"I'll lie to him."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2008, 02:50:59 PM »
hahaha mine is only one not voted for :P . Any suggestions to make it better ? ???

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2008, 03:16:19 PM »
Ow...after a while the maze hurt my eyes.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2008, 03:17:07 PM »
lol! Top notch hacking Mist. ;) I experimented with sprites as well, exploring the dungeons as a sleeping beholder or a gold dragon whelp. ;D btw, incase you want to change the reagent vars directly they're "playerweapon", "playerarmor" and "playertrinket".

There must be a glitch with the Magic Sword, as you dealt "None" equivalent damage. I once dealt stupidly high damage to a Goblin Shamen as well, and I can't understand how these glitches exist as the battle engine is really simple. I'll do a cleanup job on the code and hopefully that will fix it.

Out of interest, what are you using to hack the game if it's not GMTK?

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2008, 04:31:44 PM »
and I can't understand how these glitches exist as the battle engine is really simple.
SIMPLE!!!! HOW IS IT SIMPLE?!

Mystor

• GMG-er

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2008, 04:56:43 PM »
lol! Top notch hacking Mist. ;) I experimented with sprites as well, exploring the dungeons as a sleeping beholder or a gold dragon whelp. ;D btw, incase you want to change the reagent vars directly they're "playerweapon", "playerarmor" and "playertrinket".

There must be a glitch with the Magic Sword, as you dealt "None" equivalent damage. I once dealt stupidly high damage to a Goblin Shamen as well, and I can't understand how these glitches exist as the battle engine is really simple. I'll do a cleanup job on the code and hopefully that will fix it.

Out of interest, what are you using to hack the game if it's not GMTK?
Text Wrangler...

Open the saved file, it is a text file.
Just change the values

Mist (EDIT: I will make a screencast sometime :P)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 04:57:26 PM by mistron »
"I'll lie to him."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2008, 05:34:58 PM »
SIMPLE!!!! HOW IS IT SIMPLE?!
All that's happening when you declare an attack is that an attack strength variable receives a value based on what weapon the player has, and the attack strength is reduced by a defense strength variable based on what armor the enemy has. The value of the attack strength is then dealt as damage to the enemy. A similar system determines wether or not your attack successfully hits the enemy.

As you can see, the logic behind the code is simple, even if the code itself contains a few hundred lines.

I should release a guide on building battle engines some time, as it's my favorite part of game design. :) I'll have to finish the V6 Grid Nav tutorial first though, hehe...

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2008, 09:06:03 AM »
nobody understands my game? the object is to get as much money as possable in the amount of days you select (30,60,90) and your score is saved. you make money by selling drugs, the dealer north has the highest prices so generally you want to buy drugs for cheap price from the dealers south and sell them to the dealer north, but while your drug trafficing youll run into police, addicts, and rival dealers, and thats why you can buy weapons and armor. sinse you dont start out with much money you can take out a loan, but pay your loan back as soon as you can or interest will accumulate and it will be subtracted from your final score. the amount of drugs you can carry is limited by your coat limit, randomly youll be asked to buy a bigger coat so you can carry more. a day passes every time you go to a dealer or the hospital (there are no days in multiplayer) when a day passes you collect interest on your money in the bank, so idealy you would want to deposit most of your money in the bank before moveing to a new dealer but keep some in case you get asked to buy a bigger coat. (you dont get interest in multiplayer). you can also buy hotpockets from shaws to heal yourself instead of wasting a day at the hospital or you can heal yourself in battle (also available in multiplayer).

the two player game is somewhat different, its online so you need two computers but i think you can test it buy duplicating the game and running both at the same time. so instead of clicking on your destination both players have to walk there and if they run into each other a battle is engaged the person who wins gets to take something from the opponent that lost, like : money, drugs, weapon, armor, or they can disarm them by throwing away their weapon if they already have a better one. also you can only take money that the player has on them, so you cant take money they have in the ATM. if you have no money you have to goto the welfare building. to get welfare you cant have any drugs and the money you have on you and in the bank must be less than $100. you can also use the subway system to travel faster, theres a subway in each corner

randomly a dealer will have really low or high prices for a certain drug, in single player when you goto a dealer he'll tell you if hes got something cheap or really needs something. in two player it will happen randomly anytime and both player will be notified and who ever gets there first will get the deal. in two player you can select what game mode you want, deathmatch or moneymatch, and you can set the goal kills or money and whoever reaches the goal wins
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 09:19:30 AM by EqwanoX »

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2008, 01:46:43 PM »
It's basically like the classic "DopeWars."

Ghost

Charlo

• GMG-er

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2008, 03:45:51 PM »
Well, after playing each game my vote goes to the Maze II. I'm stunned at the amount of cards it must have taken to program each space in the maze, considering that each space has 4 directions. I really liked the music as well. Did you compose the title theme on the virtual piano Char? 'Cause I don't recognize it as a loop.

Awesome game, I hope you do a full sized adventure game like this. :)
Yes, the music is composed using the virtual keyboard.  I've taken a music theory class so I was able to make something that actually sounded decent without loops.  :D

The Maze II used 237 cards I believe.  It was a lot of work, but easy once I did it a few times.  Also, the code was essentially the same on each card.

I'm surprised my game is winning, QoM was way better.  I also get the feeling that if dealer wars were easier to figure out, it would be doing better.  I voted for QoM.  Trench Warfare was nice too, I just liked QoM better.  The enemy AI for following you was excellent.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2008, 04:02:43 PM »
It's basically like the classic "DopeWars."

Ghost
yea except for the two player game and graphics