Topic:   We are revamping the entire GMG!   (Read 16074 times)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

We are revamping the entire GMG!
« on: December 11, 2011, 08:58:21 PM »
We already updated the forums(which still need updated more), we're gonna add more features to the chat box, we're thinking of making an online HTML5 GameMaker integrated directly into the GMG, so why not just revamp the entire GMG as well?

Here's the layout idea, brought to you by Silverwind from the past...

This development is going to start on Dec 17th.
If any of you have objections to any of this, please scream at me.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 11:05:47 PM by Gan »

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
Re: We are revamping the entire GMG!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 10:02:55 AM »
Hey he IS good at designing pages! We should consider that layout.

And what's Mystic Legend?
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 11:23:43 AM »
A game EQ made a very long time ago. Should be in the downloads section.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 03:30:34 PM »
Is this in Latin or Elvish or something? What's the deal? I used google translate, and entered 3 words from it and got "Click images to"
can someone explain this?
Also, on the topic of HTML5, we should make some playable in browser demos of some of the GMG's finest games, to show them off (and make P.C. users envy our macs)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 03:33:03 PM by zoo804 »
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 04:15:13 PM »
Laura Ipsum is latin. Filler text from the rosetta stone I believe(could be wrong).

That's certainly an excellent idea. I could probably make an HTML5 mini version of QoM using the HTML5 GameMaker. Would not only make pc users jealous but also be a great advertisement for the simplicity and power of the HTML5 GameMaker.

P.S. Is anyone skilled at putting a website together? I'm gonna start making the GMG according to the mockups posted above but I may need some help. I can do PHP and stuff to dynamically load content but I'm iffy on how to position content using HTML.
Should I use tables to position content or divs with relative/absolute positioning?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 04:17:31 PM by Gandolf »

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 04:20:16 PM »
That's the Lorem Ipsum text! It's just a standard filler that you can use in place of writing so you're not distracted reading it, and you use it to see how a page layout will look. It's based off some random Latin text but it's all gibberish.

And I think we'll decide what we want to make after the HTML5 project is finished.

- Tim Rogers

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 04:22:45 PM »
I forgot to hit post and someone beat me to it! XD Oh well.

@Gan: That's a big project, revamping  the whole site. Maybe you should just start with the forums.

- Tim Rogers

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

• Sorry for being such a noob
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 04:49:13 PM »
On the subject of changing our status quo, I've had the idea for expanding off my original GameHub idea. All GM, and SC games in one place. I can make GameHub in C (or C++) so it runs on all machines, and the user can directly download a game from there.

Idyllically it'll open up a window that would use the HTML content from the download page shown above. So it'd look the same as downloading from the website. You could also put an already downloaded game into it easily.

It'd be like our very own Steam just for our community, but better, not just a store, but one interface they'd all be under like the Atari Stella (except not an emulator)

Thoughts 8-)
Just your average Weekend Warrior.
Yes I know I have bad spelling, it's what makes me such a good programmer!

"Old art, weather magnificent or wretched, is always the raw material of new art. The artist's job, though, is to

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 04:50:51 PM »
Yeah, it's a big project but I'll take it a page at a time.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 05:45:10 PM by Gandolf »

Charlo

• GMG-er

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 04:56:14 PM »
P.S. Is anyone skilled at putting a website together? I'm gonna start making the GMG according to the mockups posted above but I may need some help. I can do PHP and stuff to dynamically load content but I'm iffy on how to position content using HTML.
Should I use tables to position content or divs with relative/absolute positioning?

I can give it a shot.  Positioned/floated divs would be the way to go; it's how I designed my site.  Most of the graphical elements of that mockup can actually be done with pure CSS, which would make my job even simpler since graphics aren't my strong suit.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 05:44:27 PM »
Excellent, I'll message you around the 17th when I start.

Edit: That's an interesting idea Kurt. I've had similar thoughts about such an application. The GMG will have a sort of GameHub section built in for HTML5 games(ya know, browse HTML5 games GMGers have mades and click on them to play them in the browser), but a GameHub for desktop games and applications could be quite useful.
I'd say continue to build on that idea. In the coming weeks watch how the GMG transforms and let your idea transform with it. Something really cool can be made.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 05:45:23 PM by Gandolf »

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 08:44:13 PM »
GameHub does sound cool, but why not make an improved game section that's on the site, that works the same way? Then people don't need to download it. It could still have some cool features and allow uploads...
Unless of course it seems more practical to make it a downloadable program.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 08:46:53 PM by Connors »

- Tim Rogers

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 09:01:52 PM »
At the moment an improved Game Section is what we're heading for with HTML5 games playable in the browser and desktop games downloadable.

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

• Sorry for being such a noob
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
GameHub does sound cool, but why not make an improved game section that's on the site, that works the same way? Then people don't need to download it. It could still have some cool features and allow uploads...
Unless of course it seems more practical to make it a downloadable program.

I don't know how the HTML5 GM will work, but if we can't convert the older games into HTML5 version, or if you want to play offline then it does make more sense to have GameHub as a download.

I loved the old way the GMG looked so much I took pictures of the front page in its last dya of glory   :'(

Farewell GMG as we know! to uncharted water we doth sojourn. Return we mustn't and cannot for the road of progress transcends the horizon.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 06:11:30 PM by KurtManion »
Just your average Weekend Warrior.
Yes I know I have bad spelling, it's what makes me such a good programmer!

"Old art, weather magnificent or wretched, is always the raw material of new art. The artist's job, though, is to

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 11:44:46 PM »
Glad to see another evolution of the Game Maker's Garage. Each iteration has been an improvement over the last, and it's exciting to see what you have in store for the future. It'd be really cool to have an "alumni" page as many of our previous users have gone on to start successful software companies, work at major tech firms, and create creative jewels (like Charlie the Unicorn).

I'll continue to provide hosting for the GMG as long as necessary, even though I don't frequent the boards anymore.