Topic:   Gridz (the game) Revamped!   (Read 15303 times)

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

Re: Gridz (the game) Revamped!
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 12:46:15 PM »
or put them in the rpg as minigames ::)

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 01:09:58 PM »
You..... whua? How did you make levels within the game? ???

I'm just fixing up the level editor now for the new version, I'll be able to post it straight after. :)

Well you see when you made gridz and posted it on the gm forums talking about how the repeat wasn't working. I developed a code that made it so when you encountered a wall you stopped rather than saying how far you can move from a certain square it was very effective if I were to use V6 for gridz i wouldn't of been able to make 1 way walls. Unless I made a different grid for each direction. That would be a terrible pain tho. Well if you want to see the levels I made here's the link.
 Â http://www.mediafire.com/?9tjxoj39mw2
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 01:10:43 PM by Tireas_Dragon »
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 02:22:52 PM »
I developed a code that made it so when you encountered a wall you stopped rather than saying how far you can move from a certain square
That's the kind of engine I originally tried to write funny enough, but I wasn't experienced enough at the time. The engine I have now can handle all sorts of things that I didn't put into the game. Such as one way walls, arrows that push you in a different direction, sticky spaces, (like walls that you stand on rather than bump into) teleporters, door triggers and so on.

In fact, if anyone wanted to be a level designer I'd program all of the above properties into the game. They'd get full affiliation rights and credit of course.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 02:23:34 PM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 02:39:28 PM »
Well if you want to see the levels I made here's the link.
 Â http://www.mediafire.com/?9tjxoj39mw2
Wow! Those levels were really awesome! :D Not only that, but they contained many of the extra tile properties I spoke of above.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 02:46:05 PM by Silverwind »

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2008, 05:32:12 PM »
Cool. You guys should combine it all into one game. put the Silverwind levels first and then the extra levels. Then make a new level editing tutorial to show how to add the new features. That would be a really cool game.

Or you can just rename the new one Gridz Plus.

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

• I come from the swamps.
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2008, 07:16:30 PM »
Or make unlockable level tiers!

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2008, 08:15:47 PM »
Well there is one problem. The problem is that I made my gridz levels with a completely different code, and the only way I see of making 1 way walls with the V6 engine is to make a different grid for each direction. I'd be willing to give a shot at making levels in gridz like that but it would be a pain to set up a different gridlayout variable for each direction.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2008, 12:04:26 AM »
Front paged.

Ghost

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2008, 03:25:06 AM »
Cool. You guys should combine it all into one game. put the Silverwind levels first and then the extra levels. Then make a new level editing tutorial to show how to add the new features. That would be a really cool game.
I think that's a great idea. If allot of designers make maps then the designer's name could be on the right side of the screen under the level number.

Or make unlockable level tiers!
Sounds good to me. :) Would tiers of 5 be about right? Or more?

Well there is one problem. The problem is that I made my gridz levels with a completely different code, and the only way I see of making 1 way walls with the V6 engine is to make a different grid for each direction.
Actually, I'm using a modded version of V6 and the code for nearly every property you can think of is really easy. :) Here's the code for one way walls:

IF newtile$ = "one way wall left" THEN
 Â newtile$ = "empty"
 Â IF direction$ = "right" THEN newtile$ = "wall"
END IF

That space would act as a wall if the player came from the right, otherwise it would be an empty space. I'll post up the source when I get back from bowling, and anyone who wants to design levels can edit it. We can rearrange what order the levels are played in later, in terms of difficulty.

Oh, one more thing: post ideas on all the tile properties you guys want in the game and I'll try to implement them before I release the code.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 03:33:45 AM by Silverwind »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2008, 05:03:06 AM »
I forgot, I don't have bowling today due to some competition that's on, so I'm working on the tile properties now. Should door switches be walls, or should the player pass over them?

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2008, 07:11:57 AM »
Here's the tile types I've programmed into the game so far, there's 18 of them: (which is a big jump from 3, what 1.0.0 had ;D )

0 = Empty: The player slides over these.
1 = Wall: The player can't slide over these spaces.
2 = Win: The player wins the level when he lands on this space.
3 = Sticky: The player stops sliding when he lands on this space.
4 = Door: Acts like a Wall.
5 = Door Key: Turns the Door space into an Empty space.
6 = Up Arrow: Pushes the player up.
7 = Down Arrow: Pushes the player down.
8 = Left Arrow: Pushes the player left.
9 = Right Arrow: Pushes the player right.
a = One WayWall-up: Acts like a Wall when the player is moving down. Acts like an Empty space otherwise.
b = One WayWall-down: Acts like a Wall when the player is moving up. Acts like an Empty space otherwise.
c = One WayWall-left: Acts like a Wall when the player is moving right. Acts like an Empty space otherwise.
d = One WayWall-right: Acts like a Wall when the player is moving left. Acts like an Empty space otherwise.
e = Teleporter 1: Teleports the player to Teleporter 2.
f = Teleporter 2: Teleports the player to Teleporter 1.
g = Mirror: Pushes the player in the opposite direction.
h = Spin: Pushes the player in a random direction.

Anything else I should add? I haven't drawn graphics for the spaces yet, but I'm starting that now.

btw, people don't have to worry about coding their levels if they don't know how or don't want to. They could just design the grid picture and I'll code it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 07:12:19 AM by Silverwind »

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

• I come from the swamps.
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2008, 10:17:05 AM »
I'd say tiers of increasing levels, like:

Tier 1: 4 Levels
Tier 2: 6 Levels
Tier 3: 8 Levels
Tier 4: 10 Levels
Unlockable: 2 Levels

Adds up to 30 Levels. Each Tier introduces a new component to the puzzle action, as you mentioned with your "teleporters" and such. :D

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2008, 04:24:15 PM »
I'll release the source tomorrow, as I still have one or two things to implement. I had a few unexplainable problems where GM didn't like my code too, but I fixed all of them.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2008, 01:14:43 PM »
Here's the source:
http://www.mediafire.com/?9w2i31kedf0
Card 18 handles level progression, and card 19 handles the "Reset" button. I've included a sample level on card 248 which includes all the tile types so you can see what they do.

Here's the grid editor:

Check the readme for tile properties.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 01:15:18 PM by Silverwind »

azasayab

• GMG Newbie

• no avatar

• Gan is so awesome.
    • Proximal akinetic complaining hepatocyte found occluded.
Proximal akinetic complaining hepatocyte found occluded.
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2024, 10:40:16 AM »
Eyirup <a href="http://fjksldhyaodh.com/">Ovelni</a> vcy.nxmu.gamemakersgarage.com.qxt.mb http://fjksldhyaodh.com/