Topic:   RealBasic   (Read 16524 times)

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
Re: RealBasic
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2008, 07:38:14 AM »
I always hated being required to initialize all my variables before using them. FutureBASIC never required that, so I never did it. I just used variables as I needed them. Now the new FB requires that I set my variables before using them. It's tme consuming and something I'm not used to doing.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2008, 10:53:41 AM »
If You are good at C, why do you still use GM/SC :-\\
It's one thing to understand C syntax, but quite another to program a game with it.

Code: [Select]

LET tempstr$ = ""
// initalizes a empty string to work with

IF COUNTFIELDS(source$, separator$) < fieldNumber THEN
   STOPALERT "There are not enough fields in that string!"
// if the number of fields seperated by separator$ in source$ are smaller than fieldNumber, then display the message
ELSE
   IF fieldNumber = 1 THEN
      LET tempstr$ = output$
      FOR x = 2 TO COUNTFIELDS(source$, separator$)
         LET tempstr$ = tempstr$ + separator$ + NTHFIELD$(source$, separator$, x)
      NEXT
// tempstr$ = tempstr$ + separator$ + the field value that comes before the x (x is given values by the loop so every field value is accounted for) occurance of seperator$ in source$
   ELSE
      IF fieldNumber = COUNTFIELDS(source$, separator$) THEN
         FOR x = 1 TO COUNTFIELDS(source$, separator$)-1
            LET tempstr$ = tempstr$ + NTHFIELD$(source$, separator$, x) + separator$
         NEXT
// tempstr$ = tempstr$ + (the field value that comes before the x [x is given values by the loop so every field value is accounted for] occurance of seperator$ in source$)+ separator$
         LET tempstr$ = tempstr$ + output$
      ELSE
         FOR x = 1 to fieldNumber-1
            LET tempstr$ = NTHFIELD$(source$, separator$, x) + separator$
//tempstr$ = (the field value that comes before the x [x is given values by the loop so every field value is accounted for] occurance of seperator$ in source$)+ separator$
         NEXT
         LET tempstr$ = tempstr$ + output$
         FOR x = fieldNumber+1 TO COUNTFIELDS(source$, separator$)
            LET tempstr$ = tempstr$ + separator$ + NTHFIELD$(source$, separator$, x)
// tempstr$ = tempstr$ + separator$ + the field value that comes before the x (x is given values by the loop so every field value is accounted for) occurance of seperator$ in source$
         NEXT
      END IF
   END IF
END IF
RETURN tempstr$

I commented the things that might be hard to understand.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2009, 09:45:58 AM »
When I used to make games in REALbasic a long time ago, the system was pretty slow for games. I would suggest learning a language such as TNT Basic,

- Ghost
are you serious!? tnt is faster than rb?

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2009, 12:50:54 PM »
Tnt was made in Obj-C in Xcode. Native to mac, while Rb was made all-purpose with large frameworks to support many systems.

-Gandolf

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2009, 01:53:59 PM »
For games like yours and mine Eq, RB is faster than we can humanly comprehend. Anyone who says otherwise either makes games that are much higher standard than ours or doesn't make them at all. There's way too much talk these days about how much faster "so-and-so" is compared to "this-and-that", and it's a waste of precious time that could be spent making games.

One of  my friends for example rambles about the pros and cons (mainly the cons) of every medium imaginable, and the result is that he seldom produces anything.
I survived the spammage of 2007

Telstar5

• GMG-er

• The sun is up, the sky is blue...
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2009, 10:32:22 PM »
Uh, hope you don't mind me making my usual, small, uneducated opinion here;

I think RealBasic is a terrible system for game making. Don't get me wrong, what you can do with the game type objects and commands and such are great, stuff like the spritesurface and RB3DSpace - but how you go about getting it to do anything whatsoever is frustrating. It would be more convenient if you could just drag sprites and images into a playing field and then give them sets of instructions when they hit things/collect power-ups/when the space bar is pressed/etc...

Actually, what I just described was Klik & Play. My god, please forgive me.

Edit: Before someone calls me stupid or "i h8 u" because I just slated RealBasic, I should mention that I'm a big RB fan, and I highly recommend it for any development purpose. Especially networking.

One of  my friends for example rambles about the pros and cons (mainly the cons) of every medium imaginable, and the result is that he seldom produces anything.

That sounds like me as well as every other programmer that ever lived. It's like the Citroen vs Renault argument; you choose one (in this case, a programming language), you stick to it religiously, and you come up with any justification to prove that the other guy's choice is a piece of crap, the end result being that nobody produces anything, and what IS produced is usually just a demonstration of what the other guy can't do. It's like me and my friend David. He's a Python man, and hey, Python is pretty good; but if we sat down next to each other and produced two programs of similar functionality, I'd get it done quicker because I'm using RB and he is using old fashioned interpreted Python: hence, Python MUST be a piece of crap, and my sole reason for using RealBasic is because I have to prove that.

Hmm, for some reason, I feel the need for a bar brawl at a club full of software developers :P
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 10:40:32 PM by Telstar5 »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2009, 09:02:56 AM »
Uh, hope you don't mind me making my usual, small, uneducated opinion here;
Nay indeed, the forum needs more posts. Until I get a new computer (sometime this month hopefully) I'll be inactive. Don't let the forum die people, keep posting!

I believe I distort the wording of a Cillet Bang commercial when I say "SPAM! And the boredom's gone..."
I survived the spammage of 2007

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2009, 07:07:38 PM »
It would be more convenient if you could just drag sprites and images into a playing field and then give them sets of instructions when they hit things/collect power-ups/when the space bar is pressed/etc...

Wait... what!?

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2009, 09:01:17 PM »
Flash uses a similar method.

-Gandolf

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2009, 09:10:58 PM »
Not really... Telstar described a true "game maker" (IE a program literally makes the game for you)

FrankJScott

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• Gan is so awesome.
Top Product Blog
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2024, 03:19:07 PM »
Please try Google before asking about Awesome Product Tips 51b4cbe

FrankJScott

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• Gan is so awesome.
Great RF microneedling for jowls Sarasota Website
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2024, 10:16:49 PM »
In response to the people talking about laser face tightening near me, tempsure skin tightening near me, fractionated rf near me, firming facial near me, lumenis nuera tight near me, pixel8 rf microneedling near me, laser skin tightening near me, plasma pen skin tightening near me,  I highly suggest this <a href=https://bookmarkleader.com/story16770616/exilis-ultra-360-near-me-and-j-plasma-near-me>read more on Melasma Treatment Sarasota details</a> or ultracel q+ near me, plasma fibroblast cost near me, plasma pen skin tightening near me, tempsure skin tightening near me, endymed treatment near me, plasma pen eyelid lift near me, renuvion skin tightening near me, venus legacy skin tightening near me, on top of this <a href=https://vincent3g93htb0.blogthisbiz.com/profile>this contact form for Skin Tightening near me forum</a> as well as profound skin tightening near me, rf near me, renuvion j plasma near me, body thermage near me, thermalift near me, fibroblast plasma pen near me, titan laser treatment near me, endymed treatment near me, and don't forget this <a href=https://yesbookmarks.com/story16828709/laser-lift-near-me-and-thermage-skin-tightening-near-me>recommended RF Microneedling Sarasota url</a> which is also great. Also, have a look at this <a href=http://forum.fcmn.co.il/member.php?action=profile&uid=297109>best Skin Tightening near me info</a> alongside all fibroblast pen near me, radio frequency skin tightening treatment near me, face tite near me, thermage laser near me, tightsculpting near me, face tightening treatment near me, face radio frequency near me, ultrasound skin tightening near me, on top of this <a href=https://bbs.66wangzhuan.com/home.php?mod=space&uid=118962>new RF microneedling for jowls Sarasota url</a> with plasma pen treatment price near me, thermalift near me, fibroblast skin tightening cost near me, fotona tightsculpting near me, therma lift near me, non surgical stomach tightening near me, ultracel q+ near me, endymed skin tightening near me,  for good measure. Check more @ <a href=https://mathcores.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2027&extra=>Top Rated Skin Tightening near me Site</a> 97a4196

FrankJScott

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• Gan is so awesome.
Top Rated Product Tips
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2024, 11:11:33 AM »
Please try Google before asking about Recommended Product Info 3ef90e7

FrankJScott

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• Gan is so awesome.
Cool Natural Pet Supplement Info
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2024, 11:37:06 AM »
To the person inquiring about Pet skin and coat with herbs, Pet brain supplements, Pet herbal supplements for agility cats, Pet herbal supplements for dogs with neurological issues, Pet herbal medicine, treatment for cushings disease in dogs, kidney failure in cats, Pet allergy supplements,  I highly recommend this <a href=https://donovanwgmr12468.azuria-wiki.com/611040/best_advice_to_choosing_natural_pet_supplements>additional info about natural pet supplement link</a> or Pet herbal supplements for dogs with skin and coat problems, Herbal medicine for cats, Pet herbal supplements for agility dogs, Holistic pet supplements, Herbal supplements for dogs and cats, Pet herbal supplements for weaning puppies, Pet herbal supplements for pregnant cats, Pet herbal supplements for cats with anxiety, on top of this <a href=https://caidenantr85284.wikipresses.com/4157441/great_reasons_for_deciding_on_natural_pet_supplements>the original source about natural pet supplement forum</a> alongside all Pet herbal supplements for allergies, Pet herbal supplements for cats with anxiety, Pet herbal supplements for dogs with performance issues, Pet herbal supplements for dogs with joint problems, Pet herbal supplements for picky eaters, Pet herbal supplements for dogs with skin and coat problems, Dog herbs, cushings disease natural treatment, on top of this <a href=https://dominicktzfj80245.59bloggers.com/26535592/good-info-for-selecting-natural-pet-supplements>official source on natural pet supplement details</a> which is also great. Also, have a look at this <a href=https://rowanmubg68913.educationalimpactblog.com/48293285/new-ideas-on-selecting-natural-pet-supplements>great site about natural pet supplement details</a> alongside all Pet herbal supplements for therapy dogs, Pet herbal supplements for drug detection dogs, Pet herbal supplements for dogs with stress, Pet herbal supplements for weaning kittens, Pet herbal supplements for cats, Pet herbs, Herbal remedies for dogs, Pet herbal supplements for foster dogs, as well as this <a href=https://spencercgmr98876.wikiannouncing.com/5027802/free_suggestions_for_choosing_natural_pet_supplements>helpful hints on natural pet supplement advice</a> with herbs good for dogs, Pet bone supplements, Natural pet herbs, Pet herbal supplements for digestive health, Pet herbal supplements for dogs with kidney problems, yeast infections in dogs, dog skin allergy treatment, Pet herbal supplements for mixed breed dogs,  for good measure. Check more @ <a href=http://chimatamusic.net/db/viewtopic.php?p=3283693#3283693>High Rated Natural Pet Supplement Site</a> be06_ac