Topic:   Visualbasic 6/.net   (Read 10328 times)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Visualbasic 6/.net
« on: August 14, 2008, 10:06:41 AM »
Hey, I don't want to sound  like a traitor or anything, but has anyone here tried Vb6 or .net?

I'm taking 2 years of programming class for Vb, and I just wanted to see how you guys felt about it. So far I downloaded Vb6. You can't download it anywhere anymore because of the newer version taking over, but I was able to get it through the back door, if you know what I mean.

So far, Vb's interface is pretty nice. The coding is magnificient. It's exactly the same as SilverCreator's. It's almost as if Microsoft copied SilverCreator's coding language. I created a very simple program. A calculator.
So far I like it. What do you guys think about it? With this I will create multi-platform apps. Such as making a online game in Xcode, than rebuilding it in Vb.

-Gandolf

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
Re: Visualbasic 6/.net
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 10:57:39 PM »
So your moving up? Well If you make any cool games be sure to let us know.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 06:10:04 AM »
So your moving up?

Not exactly. It's more like I'm "stretching out." I will always be with Gm/Sc, but I will focus my developing efforts more on Xcode and Vb.

Well If you make any cool games be sure to let us know.
Will do. Though I like to create engines more than games. Like a Vb6 Mmo engine I'm building right now. So far you can chat, and I'm building the login system. It is reeeeaaaallly fast.

-Gandolf

Mystor

• GMG-er

• I am the myst that consumes us all.
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 10:22:09 AM »
Sounds cool, but I don't have a PC or an Intel mac to fiddle with (Just two PPCs) so even though I am interested I dunno...

Mist (BTW MMOS are a lot more complicated thain you may think and the MMOS that would be made with gm or sc are technically a different genre.)

EDIT: I like to create engines too... but somone has already created every engine for flash :/

That is why I sometimes work on GF2
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 10:23:23 AM by mistron »
"I'll lie to him."
"And if that doesn't work?"
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 11:16:18 AM »
Like a Vb6 Mmo engine I'm building right now.
Does Vb6 mmo engine mean Visual Basic 6 Movement (something) engine?
It is reeeeaaaallly fast.

-Gandolf
Of course it is GM is code running code, this is just code running.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Mystor

• GMG-er

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 12:25:04 PM »
However, I believe that .net is a bit like JAVA and is not as fast as languages like C++, but I might be wrong...

Anyways, Gm is more like what GF will be (GF may will probally be slower than GM because it runs off of Flash and is not the most efficient programming ever :/

Mist
"I'll lie to him."
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 03:09:18 PM »
Does Vb6 mmo engine mean Visual Basic 6 Movement (something) engine?

MMORPG, Massive Multiplayer Online Role Player Game.

Ex: World of Warcraft.

However, I believe that .net is a bit like JAVA and is not as fast as languages like C++, but I might be wrong...

I never really use .net but Gm is very similar to Sc, and vb6 is exactly like Sc, and .net is just a variation of vb6. So .net is somewhat related to Gm. It will remind you of it if you code in it.

Mist (BTW MMOS are a lot more complicated thain you may think and the MMOS that would be made with gm or sc are technically a different genre.)

The online chat works perfectly. I need to add a who's online list and then I will think of a making psp for it. Also, suprisingly it is very similar to the MMORPG engine I made in Sc. It's very easy, I could make a mmo from scratch and it wouldn't even be half bad.

Also, if anyone wants to learn vb6 or parts of it, I can randomly post certain vb6 syntax and commands.
Sorry if I seemed a bit unresponsive for most of the day. Classes just started today and will continue monday. On monday I have Computer Programming I, so I'm excited. Gonna show off all I know and be ahead of the curriculum for quite some time.

-Gandolf
P.S. ZOMG! Mistron, you're brilliant! You just solved my sending data problem!Thanks :D I've been thinking about it for the past 2 days, I couldn't figure it out...  until....  BAM! What I have to do is send a string array. The client checks the first word to figure out what kind of data it is, puts it in it's position and processes all it needs to process. Whew. That saves me a TON of work.
This is how I will do it: http://www.visualbasic.happycodings.com/Strings/code1.html
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 03:18:44 PM by Gandolf »

Mystor

• GMG-er

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 03:31:55 PM »
P.S. ZOMG! Mistron, you're brilliant! You just solved my sending data problem!Thanks :D I've been thinking about it for the past 2 days, I couldn't figure it out...  until....  BAM! What I have to do is send a string array. The client checks the first word to figure out what kind of data it is, puts it in it's position and processes all it needs to process. Whew. That saves me a TON of work.
This is how I will do it: http://www.visualbasic.happycodings.com/Strings/code1.html
What did I do?

Mist
"I'll lie to him."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 04:02:49 PM »
Helped me discover the data transfer problem.  ;)

-Gandolf

Mystor

• GMG-er

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 05:58:49 PM »
How did I do that?

II don't think I even mentioned data transfer or anything like that (Was it in a different thread?)

Mist
"I'll lie to him."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 06:10:45 PM »
Ah no, it was random words in your previous post which came together in my mind and triggered a memory which was calculated and a formulated answer was created out of that.

So, yourpost = myanswer .

-Gandolf

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 06:16:00 PM »
whats the diff between visualbasic and BASIC
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 06:39:15 PM »
Basic is sort of a language. Like Realbasic, that uses the basic language. Basic is only a language, it is not a compiler.

Visualbasic uses a seperate language, not basic, and it makes applications only for windows.

-Gandolf

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 08:31:20 PM »
Why would it be called visualbasic and not use basic.

alias

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 09:43:23 PM »
Why is a Porche called a porche and not a car?