Poll

I'm not sure how to delete this pole.

Ok, cool.
0 (0%)
That's lame.
0 (0%)
Alright, you're kindof stupid.
2 (100%)
I don't care, I'm just here for the free cake.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Topic:   Retro games   (Read 309902 times)

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
SOUND
« Reply #375 on: March 03, 2012, 12:10:58 AM »
sound sound sound sound sound
This game is going to have sound and we ought to do some tests and make sure we can do it and without a lot of lag. Sounds were touchy and we should be sure to optimize them or find the format that works best.
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: Retro games
« Reply #376 on: March 03, 2012, 12:19:04 AM »
Sound should work fine as long is it runs through the flash sound manager. If flash doesn't work it'll fall back to laggy HTML5.

As for the GUI, having it above means the game height will have to be larger.

As for the AI, we can add some raytracing to see if the player is within the line of sight of a player before they start moving. Or perhaps we could do a mixture of that with position. So if the player is close, the zombie can follow the scent or sound.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #377 on: March 14, 2012, 03:38:06 PM »
Alright, I've procrastinated long enough. Today there's no terraria or LoZ or TF2 or anything else stopping me! I'M FINALLY GONNA WRITE IT. So prepare yourselves. Something big is going to happen. For me, anyway. This is the first time I've contributed to a game all year. I'm rusty. I need you guys to edit it, but I'm gonna let my brains leak all over the keyboard*. Man that's gonna be hard to clean up. I'm getting off topic here. The point is, I'm writing the script in the post reply box, without anything done to prepare me. Hence the "I'm gonna let my brain leak all over the keyboard" thing.

*No actual brain leaking has occurred in the process of writing the script.**
**Actually, I'm just writing this in the time it takes for me to get my creative juices*** flowing
***Creative juices is a trademark of "Tom's juice company" from 2006****
****Yet again, I'm just making stuff up
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #378 on: March 14, 2012, 04:04:14 PM »
Author's note: I want this to be presented in-game with the classic typewriter-esque letter after letting popping up with a little "tic" noise or a little "beep"

I retired from the "army", if you could call it that, years ago after the first encounter. I was aboard the fleet of ships when they first struck. It was not expected. Many of us didn't even believe there was life on other planets. We just thought of space as a big garbage disposal with our name on it. We were mistaken. After several problems concerning containment chambers designed to hold nuclear waste, the newly formed World Government decided to chuck it in to space. Brilliant idea, right? Wrong. That all happened when I was a kid.  When I grew up, I wanted to work for the Government that ended war forever, or so we thought. There were no soldiers. We didn't need them. With one government, why would we ever fight again. We maintained peace for a long time, but not forever. 23 years after we jettisoned our waste into space, we got an unfortunate message. The message was this: The almost total destruction of our main space station, which I was aboard 2 years ago. The waste we launched into space landed on a planet far away which was inhabited by reptilian beings of a far more advanced society than ours. They waged war on whoever forsook their beautiful planet and spent a few years tracking us down and preparing to blow up our planet. But first they wanted to warn us, and make us feel guilty for something we had no idea could ever happen. I quit working with the government to be with my family until the sure to come end of the earth as we knew it. But it didn't come. Interplanetary battle, as should be assumed, is almost impossible. Both side had diseases the others didn't have, and the other side had absolutely no immunity whatsoever to our diseases. They went to go find a solution to that problem, and what did we do? We build a massive space station to "Keep them away".
We're doomed.

July 9th, 20XX
[character name here],
Your services are required aboard the [Space station name here]. [space station] is a space station operated by the world's government to protect against [antagonistic forces here]. We are recruiting many trained soldiers such as yourself to go on the next flight to the station. You will be serving your planet by defending and operating this ship. We do not doubt your ability to succeed in your duties of protecting the planet we all call home. You will be shipped out on the 20th.
THIS IS NOT OPTIONAL

Signed
Lt. Beck

This is just a bit I wrote. Sorry if it's a bit long. It needs to be revised and edited, then I'll write more. So, tell me what you think, how bad it sucks, and what needs to be added, and I'll change it up.

Oh, and gan, what's the character limit for this thing? Seems fairly high to me, but I don't want to go over the limit.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 04:07:50 PM by zoo804 »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #379 on: March 14, 2012, 04:13:28 PM »
Wow! I like it! :D

The character limit is infinite. Or however much the computer can handle before blowing up.
When I add layers into HTML5 GM, it'll allow a lot more characters cause the whole game will be faster/smoother.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #380 on: March 14, 2012, 04:15:46 PM »
... I meant the "Post reply" Box. not the game. Probably should have mentioned that.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #381 on: March 14, 2012, 04:21:27 PM »
This is great, Zoo! It's interesting and fits well with the game.
They went to go find a solution to that problem, and what did we do? We build a massive space station to "Keep them away".
We're doomed.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 04:23:01 PM by Connors »

- Tim Rogers

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #382 on: March 14, 2012, 04:47:10 PM »
Should I change it to say DOOMed because EQ kept relating it to DOOM? I like to have weird little things like that in a game.
Also, (Warning, inside joke ahead)
Lt. Beck's full name is Josh Steven Beck. Before he joined the "army" he was a seventh grade technology teacher in san antonio texas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28ZyXCHi2uo

Feel free to change the name. I found this when looking for blender tutorials, and they're really helpful. I'll let you guess at the Steven thing, because I'd only make the GMG laggier by telling you how that name came about. Steven is not my name by the way. It's a name I sometimes use when signing up for things on the internet, but it has a LOOONG story behind it.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #383 on: July 25, 2012, 09:49:30 PM »
3  WORDS.
BRING. THIS. BACK.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #384 on: July 27, 2012, 11:45:01 PM »
Oh man it's so true this needs to become a proper game. I totally forgot about Space Marines if you can believe that. :o

I'm gonna cut to the chase -
The next step I had in mind was adding more variants of zombies and AI. With changes as simple as the distance they will chase you from or whether they will follow a complex path we can make more interesting battles.
Example? Since they all use melee zombies that lie waiting for the player can be a real problem, but in a large maze zombies that can path-find to you can ambush you.

- Tim Rogers

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #385 on: July 28, 2012, 04:07:12 PM »
Zombie soldiers with guns? Exploding zombies? Zombies that become 2 little zombies when you kill them? Zombie bosses? More weapons/powerups? Upgrades shop?

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #386 on: July 28, 2012, 04:38:59 PM »
Easy

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #387 on: July 29, 2012, 02:10:38 PM »
Go ahead, then. I challenge you. Update the current version of HTML5GM to have as much content as the SC one, and I'll make some levels and write more story.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #388 on: August 20, 2012, 10:04:10 AM »
Alternative gamemode maps! Go!

This is sort of like a CTF. The portal teleports you back to base and adds 1 point to your team's total. You'd play as a team of 2-3 maybe. and the ammo in the upper corner rooms respawns. You play until you get 5 points, as the zombie spawn rate increases. doors and keys respawn after every point. basicly, it's 5 maps in a row, that are identical, except more enemies spawn faster each time you advance. maybe add a boss battle at the end. It'd be designed for the online capabilities (We're adding that, right?) and co op gameplay.

LET spawntimer = 5    //time between enemy spawning
LET enemylimit = 30    //enemies per level
LET maxenemy = 10    //maximum amount of enemies on-screen
LET line$(1)  =  "11111111111111111111111"
LET line$(2)  =  "1aaaaaaa100a001aaaaaaa1"
LET line$(3)  =  "1Fdhaaaa1010101gdhaaaa1"
LET line$(4)  =  "1L0000b100101001b0000L1"
LET line$(5)  =  "111T1111U11R11U1111T111"
LET line$(6)  =  "0000000001K0p1000000000"
LET line$(7)  =  "0000000001haa1000000000"
LET line$(8)  =  "00000000011111000000000"
LET line$(9)  =  "0000000000zzz0000000000"
LET line$(10) = "00000000000000000000000"
LET line$(11) = "00000000000000000000000"
LET line$(12) = "000000yyy00000yyy00U000"
LET line$(13) = "001R10yyy00000yyy01T100"
LET line$(14) = "011h1100000000001110110"
LET line$(15) = "0109010000000000100K010"
LET line$(16) = "01111100000600001111110"
LET line$(17) = "00000000000000000000000"

So, we should focus on not only the story mode, but also on having vs. and co op online modes. I have some ideas. Another idea is called "Hold the fort mode" where zombies keep coming and if they get to your wall they deal damage, so you have to keep them back.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #389 on: August 20, 2012, 04:10:43 PM »
I think it's a cool prospect, being able to play online. But we ought to work on getting singleplayer playable first!

- Tim Rogers