Topic:   The last couple of years   (Read 5638 times)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

The last couple of years
« on: September 09, 2018, 10:33:22 AM »
I got married, finished college, got a full time software engineering job, then got an even better one.
I'm working for Indeed, my work involves rapidly prototyping new software feature and product ideas and testing them for success in the market.

In the past 2 years, I've done a lot of hobby software work. Web development, games, custom server software.
One of the big things is that I made many contributions to LeagueSandbox. I made a developer lobby client, wrote a CSharpScriptingEngine, made an auto-setup developer environment tool and more. This is actually the place where I can most easily be contacted. Here's the discord if you want to join me. You can also friend me on discord with my name being MatthewFrench#9537.

Here's my website:
http://matthewfrench.io/#News

Some of the things you will notice on the website is custom forum software, an art platformer game and how fast the website is. I like to use no dependencies when I build stuff.

This is what has been happening in the past couple of years. I'm not as active here as I was in the past. The GMG, SilverCreator, Al's GameMaker made this all possible. My success is all because of you guys.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 09:10:30 AM by Gan »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: The last couple of years
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 08:58:54 AM »
I love you guys. Memories of the GMG are some of my favorite. Memories of everything we accomplished and did together. All the cool stuff everyone was coming up with all the time. It was an amazing many years.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 01:17:09 PM »
I've gone to community college, dropped out and worked in a job saving money for about 2 years, quit that job and am now back in college! This year I should be able to complete my 2 year degree and then (probably) won't continue on to the 4 year degree, but I'd like to have one even if it's in Liberal Arts. I'd like to get a job in programming, but I'm seriously considering going all in on my game. Crowdfunding, or maybe finding a publisher.

I have continued to make slow, sporadic progress on "SlimeGame". Current working title is now "Jelly Ball" by the way. :D It's looking pretty good. There's a demo video around here somewhere...

Been playing Rust again recently. It's a chaotic game which is fun if you have friends to log in with, otherwise it's just scary and frustrating. Friend me on Discord so I can bug you when you when I need a teammate lul Connorses#0986
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 01:19:12 PM by Connors »
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 06:49:46 AM »
Gan: Sounds like you are doing really well. Congratulations on getting married.

Connors: I never finished my Associates degree either that I started years ago. Oh well  ::)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 09:21:42 AM »
I've gone to community college, dropped out and worked in a job saving money for about 2 years, quit that job and am now back in college! This year I should be able to complete my 2 year degree and then (probably) won't continue on to the 4 year degree, but I'd like to have one even if it's in Liberal Arts. I'd like to get a job in programming, but I'm seriously considering going all in on my game. Crowdfunding, or maybe finding a publisher.

I have continued to make slow, sporadic progress on "SlimeGame". Current working title is now "Jelly Ball" by the way. :D It's looking pretty good. There's a demo video around here somewhere...

Been playing Rust again recently. It's a chaotic game which is fun if you have friends to log in with, otherwise it's just scary and frustrating. Friend me on Discord so I can bug you when you when I need a teammate lul Connorses#0986
Holy cow that is amazing! Your game has come so far! I especially like all the cool mechanics you've added.

Gan: Sounds like you are doing really well. Congratulations on getting married.

Connors: I never finished my Associates degree either that I started years ago. Oh well  ::)
It's great to see you Al! You've been one of my heroes for over 15 years. You've made amazing stuff but I guess I'm realizing that I don't know much about you besides making Al's GameMaker.
Your about page is hilarious though.  ;D

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 03:46:23 PM »
Hey Gan something generated this code right?

http://matthewfrench.io/site-043a8904f744be1e6761.min.js

It looks like a lot of the other really convoluted JS I see on websites. Only a drunk crack head would name all their variables with single letters and mash all the functions together and stuff.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 08:56:55 PM »
I should mention some other stuff I've messed with. Has anybody tried Pico-8? I love it. This is my favorite of my own Pico-8 projects. https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=2813

I've also done occasional game jams, a lot of it is here. https://connorses.itch.io/

P.S. That code looks obfuscated Mike you're right.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 08:58:30 PM by Connors »
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 12:48:53 AM »
Hey Gan something generated this code right?

http://matthewfrench.io/site-043a8904f744be1e6761.min.js

It looks like a lot of the other really convoluted JS I see on websites. Only a drunk crack head would name all their variables with single letters and mash all the functions together and stuff.
Yup! I use a tool called webpack, it obfuscates and optimizes the code for me. Also has many other cool uses!

brontozavr

• GMG Newbie

• no avatar

• Gan is so awesome.
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 05:34:34 PM »
I am new here, but I am pleased to congratulate you on such wonderful changes. Glad to be part of the community.