Topic:   Favorite Science Fiction?   (Read 3318 times)

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
Favorite Science Fiction?
« on: May 25, 2014, 12:44:40 AM »
Based on what I write, one might assume I'm a fan of the stereotypical spaceships and big ugly aliens science fiction, like Star Wars or Star Trek, but I have a confession to make: I don't really like either of the sci-fi giants that much. In fact, some of my favorite works are what I classify as pseudo-scientific. These are the ones that try to have as much realism as possible. The ones that use actual science to explain things. I've always been a fan of Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park books (the first movie is a classic as well, but when you get right down to it, the books are better, in my opinion) and Jules Verne. I love Jules Verne's work because of the historical aspect of them: they use legitimate scientific theories of the late 1800s. So while Journey to the Centre of the Earth may seem silly by today's standards, it's always interesting to read science fiction written before we fully understood the things they were written about. From the Earth to the Moon is also quite good. 20,000 leagues under the Sea is... Well, honestly not that great. I really loved the beginning, but it didn't hold my interest.

As for more modern science fiction, the original two Alien films are great. They have all the necessary elements for a great, tense horror movie, with the added bonus of wonderfully designed aliens. Just never watch the third or fourth ones. I also quite liked The Matrix.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is and forever will be my favorite thing. As with many a good book (see Journey to the Centre of the Earth) they failed to make a good movie out of it, but the original radio series and trilogy in five parts are some of the best comedy ever written. They're great from a pure comedic standpoint, but the science fiction writing is quite good as well. Douglas Adams is my hero.

And of course, there is Doctor Who. Which I love dearly, but not as much as some people. David Tennant was awesome, and Matt Smith was great in season five of the reboot, BUT: season six was a poorly thought out mess and River Song was a bad idea. Season seven, on the other hand, was quite good. Clara is a good companion. I can't say much about the new doctor, as he is quite new, and I'm not caught up yet. I still have to see the Christmas special.

Firefly. Just... Just... Wow. Firefly. It's... Something else entirely. I can't begin to describe the wonderfully varied and well-developed characters of Firefly. Joss Whedon knows how to make a good space western. All the characters in firefly have such memorable personalities. Wash, of course, is the best out of all of them, with Jayne coming in at a close second.

Futurama. I'm a fan of science fiction comedy. It's just that one quirky genre that isn't abundantly produced, but manages to mix two of my favorite things: comedy, and space.

Anyway, that was a rather extensive list of some of the greatest works of science fiction in the last two hundred years. And that barely scratches the surface of what's out there. I just love it as a genre because of how loosely defined it is. Any category that can contain both Journey to the Centre of the Earth, a book about a German scientist discovering a passageway to the core of the globe in Iceland, and Futurama, a cartoon about an alcoholic robot, a delivery boy, and a one-eyed mutant with purple hair, is a category that you can appreciate.
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
Re: Favorite Science Fiction?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 10:45:59 AM »
Read Ender's game if you haven't. Read it now.

I still need to finish watching Firefly but yeah, it's a lot of fun.
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 02:28:04 PM »
Ender's Game... Well, on one hand, I like the concept, but on the other, I've heard it's not as good if you know about the plot twist. And the author was a jerk. But still, I'll get around to it eventually.
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 03:07:36 PM »
This is kinda off-topic since it's not science fiction, but I greatly enjoy Terry Pratchett's books. He has this series called "Diskworld"... I like the way he explains how things work in his fantasy worlds and it's very funny and intelligent work.
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Igor

• GMG Newbie

• no avatar

• Gan is so awesome.
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2022, 12:28:08 AM »
It's tough to answer this one.. I think my favorite Sci-fi lies in Farenheight 451 . I like the book because it is set in a future where the government tries to get rid of knowledge of books, just because they can. I like the way that a man in a seemingly helpless situation brings about a revolution to protect a precious resource. It really gets your mind going about things that we take for granted today, like how dependent we are on books. (For example, I just pulled out my cell phone to double check the spelling of "resource.") Also, the book shows how one person can do a lot to start a revolution or change the world. It shows how a society can be changed with the help of just a little information.  https://www.eastsidebookshop.com

zign

• GMG Newbie

• no avatar

• Gan is so awesome.
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2022, 08:37:05 PM »
So it is interesting and very good written and see what they think about other people. zlibrary is free try now

alexachris

• GMG Newbie

• no avatar

• Gan is so awesome.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2023, 01:11:24 AM »
Dude dont say that to star wars  :'( The only animated series of star wars the clone wars was good this new version and the movies were not good at all. I heard from ebook writing near me that they are working on a new science fiction book that will launch all around the world. But they didn't tell me the name still curious to know the name lol. ;D

Robertjohn

• GMG Newbie

• Gan is so awesome.
    • https://www.ascendviral.com/dominate/ig/7633
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2023, 04:40:02 AM »
Are you prepared to extend the scope of your Instagram marketing plan?

The comprehensive digital book from Rise Viral is a great place to start!  By providing substantial experiences, major considerations, and solid useful strategies, this computerised book will assist you in reaching Instagram's highest limit with regard to your photo  ;). Master hashtag usage, create engaging content, improve your profile, regularly grow your following, and that's just the beginning! Stop waiting and start downloading right away to support your Instagram displaying and obtain remarkable success.

With the aid of Rise Viral's digital book, you can enhance your Instagram game!  8)
Join now for a half-off discount and an advantage.

Dasik22

• GMG Newbie

• no avatar

• Gan is so awesome.
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2023, 09:07:53 AM »
Toller Beitrag, ich habe viel gelernt!

beton b-20