Topic:   iPhone Project: Storyline ~ Go Nuts   (Read 26128 times)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: iPhone Project: Storyline ~ Go Nuts
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 08:54:58 AM »
That'd make a good QOTM. I hope this game will fall into that category.

Any more votes? So far Idea #4 is in the lead. If anyone wants another idea to win, get more people to vote!
Voting ends tonight, then we will build off of the majority pick.

-Gandolf

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 05:53:41 PM »
Alright:
Tired of wandering, a group of travelling merchants settle down. With trades of all sorts New Town is sure to flourish, but only if the area can be made safe.  

You must venture forth into the surrounding hills and cleanse the area of monster lairs.
Our winner.

Now, let us form this the way you guys want. Just add more and start building.

-Gandolf

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 06:44:47 PM »
Ooo. OOOO.

The merchants didn't settle down because they wanted to, they were forced off of their old trade routes by a rival company. Now they're in a desolate, snowy place called the Frost Marsh, and need to make the best of the situation.

I think we could make this really interesting by playing off of the fact that our characters are merchants. They're not interested in fighting monsters for the heck of it, they just want to survive by trading with the area's locals. Quests could be based around finding other towns (you have no knowledge of the area in the beginning of the game, the world map gets filled in as you explore) which would then allow you to do business with them. For every town you discover your new town's wealth increases. The goal of the game is to get your town to a point where it is wealthy enough to exist stably in the Frost Marsh. Of course, when this happens your rival company is angry, and shows up to destroy you.

Gameplay is centered around exploration rather than combat, you can find resources (gold mines) to hasten the expansion of your town's economy, and obviously must search for other settlements to trade with. Exploration is dangerous, as if you stay out in the Frost Marsh to long you freeze to death (time can be measured in steps, maybe your heat decreases for every step you take, and is regained by sleeping at towns or using some items).

When combat does occur it's real time, you fight by tapping in a direction and then hitting a "swing sword" button. Maybe we can add stuff like attacking is one direction and defending in another later, but that would be the basis for the battle system.  

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 07:18:09 PM »
I think we could make this really interesting by playing off of the fact that our characters are merchants. They're not interested in fighting monsters for the heck of it, they just want to survive...
Yeah, that's a great driving force. :)

Quests could be based around finding other towns (you have no knowledge of the area in the beginning of the game, the world map gets filled in as you explore) which would then allow you to do business with them. For every town you discover your new town's wealth increases. The goal of the game is to get your town to a point where it is wealthy enough to exist stably in the Frost Marsh. Of course, when this happens your rival company is angry, and shows up to destroy you.

Gameplay is centered around exploration rather than combat, you can find resources (gold mines) to hasten the expansion of your town's economy, and obviously must search for other settlements to trade with. Exploration is dangerous, as if you stay out in the Frost Marsh to long you freeze to death (time can be measured in steps, maybe your heat decreases for every step you take, and is regained by sleeping at towns or using some items).

When combat does occur it's real time, you fight by tapping in a direction and then hitting a "swing sword" button. Maybe we can add stuff like attacking is one direction and defending in another later, but that would be the basis for the battle system.  
MMMNNNNNOOOOOOOO!!!

I mean... no, I don't think so. It was scope creep like this that killed the once mighty Lost Winds, and me, Swamp and Mist vowed never to let it happen again.

Well at least, I vowed.

Well, actually I just expressed mild concern, but I'm vowing now: We can't let scope creep kill this truly brilliant project! It's like a goldfish, if we feed it too much it'll die, and we've come so far this time. Look how much work you and Gan have put into those tiles and engines. We have to keep it simple fellas!

EDIT:

Oh and btw: That's a great story + game idea. I hope we can make that too.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 07:18:54 PM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 07:29:43 PM »
::)

That idea wouldn't even be complicated to implement... every time you find a town or gold mine your town gets wealthier. When it gets wealthy enough, you have to battle your rival company, and then you win. Game over. Actually I think this would be pretty easy to do, as there wouldn't be quests or anything.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 07:31:14 PM by WarHampster »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 07:32:35 PM »
I tell you I've seen oblivion, and that's the face of it! Fear the wrath of the sliding scope! *Hissss*
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 07:33:09 PM by Silverwind »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 07:37:48 PM »
-_-

At least explain how this is too complicated.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 09:45:18 PM »
It's more than just talking to NPCs, buying equipment and killing monsters. Until we've accomplished that in a compiled game we shouldn't attempt more.

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 09:53:32 PM »
OHMIGOSH!

I have an awesome idea for a gnome merchant camp, can't wait for that tomorrow!!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ??? ??? ??? 8) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

...im happy
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 10:12:32 PM »
Ooo. OOOO.

The merchants didn't settle down because they wanted to, they were forced off of their old trade routes by a rival company. Now they're in a desolate, snowy place called the Frost Marsh, and need to make the best of the situation.

I think we could make this really interesting by playing off of the fact that our characters are merchants. They're not interested in fighting monsters for the heck of it, they just want to survive by trading with the area's locals. Quests could be based around finding other towns (you have no knowledge of the area in the beginning of the game, the world map gets filled in as you explore) which would then allow you to do business with them. For every town you discover your new town's wealth increases. The goal of the game is to get your town to a point where it is wealthy enough to exist stably in the Frost Marsh. Of course, when this happens your rival company is angry, and shows up to destroy you.

So basically its Actrasier?

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2009, 07:34:52 AM »
It's more than just talking to NPCs, buying equipment and killing monsters. Until we've accomplished that in a compiled game we shouldn't attempt more.
Yeah, true. Talking, the item/inventory system, and the battle system are all on my todo. We should probably hold off on more complex features until the simple ones come through.

-Gandolf

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2009, 03:48:33 PM »
So basically its Actrasier?

Not really, but that is an awesome game.

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2009, 11:47:26 PM »
I just woke up because of a ...brainblast ::)

So you live in a small, not very well known town (the whole game takes place in the town) There are two clear fractions, the Silver Legion and the Maker Guild. There is some tension, but a "bot" is able to spark a fight and cause a huge war. You are a unaligned  newcomer, and it is up to you to uncover the truth and save the town!

Dungeons:
Forest (tutorial)
battlefield
Maker Guild HQ
Silver Legion HQ
BOT Hideout Lvl 1
BOT Hideout Lvl 2

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2009, 06:09:10 AM »
Woh, 5 identical posts? We need moderator power, now!

Go, go, Mod-er-ators!

Fixed, and I like the story Gnome. :)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 06:11:18 AM by Silverwind »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2009, 09:42:48 AM »
Ahaha. Looks good. :) By they way, I woke up to my dad listing off the specs of a super computer. It entered my dreams and I couldn't help but rise to the sound like one may rise to the smell of bacon.
Turns out that my sister in college is planning on getting the best mac. I have no idea why she would ever need it as I have a 2006 model with 2gb of ram and only a core 2 duo. I haven't maxed it out yet. She's planning on getting a core i7, 2TB hd, with 16GB of ram. You see, I know where I'm going over any school breaks... ;) Sorry for the bit of off-topicness.
What do you think of the idea of being a Ghost when dying? Mist posted it in a different thread, though would it work in the story lines you guys have posted?

-Gandolf