Topic:   iPhone Project: Storyline ~ Go Nuts   (Read 26148 times)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

iPhone Project: Storyline ~ Go Nuts
« on: October 28, 2009, 12:51:53 PM »
Here's the official thread for the storyline. This is where I'm going to change a few things up of how I had originally planned it.
I think I was probably a bit too restrictive on storyline, maps, and characters. So here's how we're going to do it:
 - The storyline doesn't have to be anything related to the Gmg, it can if you guys want.
 - The characters/monsters don't have to be related to the Gmg but if you guys want, you can be a character within the game.
 - Maps and layout have to be made with Silver's tiles which WarHampster revamped and the characters/monsters Silver created.
 - Try to have the storyline fit with the game style.
 - Whatever kind of ideas you guys come up with, try not to make it too big. I'd like to keep the game a simple RPG.

So, go nuts. I'm far enough along on programming that this won't halt or stop progress. When I get to the point where I want to add this in, I'll take whatever story is best liked by all of the Gmg members at that moment.

-Gandolf
P.S. This also means to hold off on character/monsters and map creation until we have a good storyline. When we find what we want, I'll fall back and try to remain in the confines of being the programmer. I'd like to let you guys handle the mapping and creating anything else story wise.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 12:54:48 PM by Gandolf »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
Re: iPhone Project: Storyline ~ Go Nuts
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 12:59:21 PM »
Me and Jinx are brainstorming. :) (no ideas yet, but the thunder is giving us a headache)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 12:59:30 PM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 04:48:18 PM »
Eheh... Brainstorming... headache by thunder...
Sounds great. :) Can't wait to see what you guys come up with.

-Gandolf

Teruri

• GMG-er

• This personal text couldn\'t be worse
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 12:32:49 PM »
Okay... this is my idea for a story:

A very long time ago a demon king terrorized the people of our land. We managed to defeat his demon army, but the king was to strong.
A mighty hero took the ancient sword of [name] and killed the demon king in one stab. After the battle the hero nor the sword were ever seen again.

A new evil threatens our land and our very existence. A new hero shall rise and use the ancient sword to free our land of all things evil... you!

So basically the player has to find the ancient sword of [name] and use it to defeat the boss. The quest to find to sword can be broken up into several parts each with their own boss.
I believe someone made up a demon (can't remember who made it) that could serve the purpose of the evil demon boss.
Yeah I know it's very basic and pretty cliché, but it's something that can be expanded upon.

The name of the sword... we could use excalibur or something gmg/gm/sc related.
And obviously the player won't be able to kill the demon with one stab. :P
Max 500; characters remaining: 466

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 02:55:50 PM »
Yeah, I could see that story working out. Sounds good, good idea, pretty solid, nice background info...
Can't wait to see the rest of you guy's stories.

-Gandolf

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 06:04:11 PM »
"Quickly young (insert class here)! The GMG iPhone project is in danger of going the way of WarHampster's Game!" You awake with this urgent message ringing in your ears, and immediately know what you have to do.

The royal house of the GMG is in disarray - Telstar is dying of lung cancer, Gandolf is under siege by evil Obj-C bugs, Mistron is lost in a secluded corner of the land, and Silverwind is fighting rampaging computer viruses. Only you can rescue these once great game designers from a horrible fate, restore the GMG to its former glory, and complete the GROUP PROJECT.

Perhaps you won't be alone in your quest - rumors of a powerful mage known only Al are sweeping across the land, pirate ships flying the Jolly EqwanoX have appeared on the shores, clockwork creatures bearing the signature WarHampster have been sighted in the mountains, and representatives of Hendo's merchant empire are showing up in the cities.  

So basically you need to save each GMG member. Save Telstar by making the cure for cancer (collect ingredients), save Gandolf by uncovering the great sword known only as DEBUGGER, save Mistron by finding him (he could be lost in some sort of maze), and save Silverwind by rescuing him from viruses. You can get help from Eq, me, and Hendo. Eq sells swords, I sell firearms, Hendo sells clothing. Once all the members are rescued, you must break the evil spell that is keeping Al from finishing GM 4. The group project gets made, happy end.

Sorry I didn't include everyone, I couldn't think of anything else... someone come up with a way to work Swamp, Xiphos, Guthan, Harry Carry, and Mike into it.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 06:07:57 PM by WarHampster »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 07:11:21 PM »
Ahaha. Now that was unique. Nice story idea, playing a game about finishing a game... :) These are getting better and better.

-Gandolf

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 04:56:39 PM »
Guys, we need to get the storyline out of the way. Current ideas:

Idea (1) Teruri:
A very long time ago a demon king terrorized the people of our land. We managed to defeat his demon army, but the king was to strong.
A mighty hero took the ancient sword of [name] and killed the demon king in one stab. After the battle the hero nor the sword were ever seen again.

A new evil threatens our land and our very existence. A new hero shall rise and use the ancient sword to free our land of all things evil... you!

So basically the player has to find the ancient sword of [name] and use it to defeat the boss. The quest to find to sword can be broken up into several parts each with their own boss.  
I believe someone made up a demon (can't remember who made it) that could serve the purpose of the evil demon boss.
Yeah I know it's very basic and pretty cliché, but it's something that can be expanded upon.

The name of the sword... we could use excalibur or something gmg/gm/sc related.
And obviously the player won't be able to kill the demon with one stab.
Idea (2) WarHampster:
"Quickly young (insert class here)! The GMG iPhone project is in danger of going the way of WarHampster's Game!" You awake with this urgent message ringing in your ears, and immediately know what you have to do.

The royal house of the GMG is in disarray - Telstar is dying of lung cancer, Gandolf is under siege by evil Obj-C bugs, Mistron is lost in a secluded corner of the land, and Silverwind is fighting rampaging computer viruses. Only you can rescue these once great game designers from a horrible fate, restore the GMG to its former glory, and complete the GROUP PROJECT.  

Perhaps you won't be alone in your quest - rumors of a powerful mage known only Al are sweeping across the land, pirate ships flying the Jolly EqwanoX have appeared on the shores, clockwork creatures bearing the signature WarHampster have been sighted in the mountains, and representatives of Hendo's merchant empire are showing up in the cities.    

So basically you need to save each GMG member. Save Telstar by making the cure for cancer (collect ingredients), save Gandolf by uncovering the great sword known only as DEBUGGER, save Mistron by finding him (he could be lost in some sort of maze), and save Silverwind by rescuing him from viruses. You can get help from Eq, me, and Hendo. Eq sells swords, I sell firearms, Hendo sells clothing. Once all the members are rescued, you must break the evil spell that is keeping Al from finishing GM 4. The group project gets made, happy end.  

Sorry I didn't include everyone, I couldn't think of anything else... someone come up with a way to work Swamp, Xiphos, Guthan, Harry Carry, and Mike into it.
Idea (3) Silverwind:
It's been a whole year since the realm was plagued by natural catastrophes. Earthquakes destroyed the old roads, floods swallowed up valleys and fields and storms ruined cities and towns.  

Now the realm is recovering and mercenaries are needed to open new trade routes, raid dungeons for resources and defend settlements from invading brigand patrols.  

But were the catastrophes natural after all... or was there a more sinister cause?
Idea (4)  Silverwind:
Tired of wandering, a group of travelling merchants settle down. With trades of all sorts New Town is sure to flourish, but only if the area can be made safe.

You must venture forth into the surrounding hills and cleanse the area of monster lairs.

Vote for which one you like best or quickly post an idea you still have.
Deadline: November 9th, 12:00p.m. Once it hits that time, I'll select what you guys have chosen and we can get started.

-Gandolf

SamBaylus

• GMG Newbie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 05:09:11 PM »
Idea 4.

For sure.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 06:14:23 PM »
Hey, welcome to the GMG!

Idea 2. For sure :)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 06:28:13 PM »
Personally I vote for anything that's as streamlined as idea 4.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 06:29:06 PM »
Idea 4.

For sure.
Welcome to the GMG btw. :) Are you passing through from the Silver Creator forums?

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 06:31:12 PM »
Alright...
Idea 1: 0
Idea 2: 1
Idea 3: 0
Idea 4: 2?

I'm not sure any ideas up there are quite as streamlined as idea 4, so I guess your vote goes to idea 4. (Unless you say otherwise.)

-Gandolf
P.S. Sam's the iPhone developer I posted about. He's joining the project, though like the rest of us, he has a busy schedule.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 06:32:33 PM by Gandolf »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 06:57:59 PM »
Ah yes, I remember.

A warm welcome to you Sam. What's your slant on game design?  

SamBaylus

• GMG Newbie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 07:15:44 PM »
To me, games are about immersing yourself into an environment when reality would otherwise be impossible. It's about beating the odds and making the fantastic happen.

Any game that envelops the player into the world is created is fine by me. Heavily inspired by Nintendo.