Topic:   iPhone RPG Programmer Progress Log   (Read 11925 times)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

iPhone RPG Programmer Progress Log
« on: April 14, 2010, 07:41:42 AM »
Here's a progress log I'll post at times to keep you guys up to date and to organize my thoughts:
iPhone Programmer Progress Log

April 14th, Wednesday, 2010
Little bit sleep deprived today, had a track meet yesterday. Busy week, I'm afraid I won't find time to work on it today. The World Editor looks good, handles things well but lacks an NPC AI. That's not very important at the moment. So I'm going to focus my attention on the iPhone RPG. It's partially recoded but still not playable. I'm going to change that. When I find time I want to get the moving system finished first then after that I will work from the main page up. That means I'll get saving running, create a loading screen so the app won't take too long to open, and I've been thinking of this... I'm going to leave room for classes such as on the class screen but not have classes. So I'll be able to insert classes later if wanted. So the class screen will just have a insert player name box for now. I'm going to hold off progress on the World Editor until I can catch the iPhone RPG up to it.
This log was a good idea. Organized my thoughts.

-Gan
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 01:00:00 PM by Gandolf »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
Re: iPhone RPG Programmer Progress Log
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 02:52:38 PM »
Cool, I try to do logs for my projects as well but they rarely get far.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 11:28:39 AM »
April 15th, Thursday 2010

I'm kinda pumped. Looks like today is the first day of this week I'll have some free time. :) I'm thinking of making the loading screen first. Ā Have a special looking loading bar which I'll have to show off eventually. You guys'll like it. Need to get moving done... Somethings nagging at the back of my mind, though I'm not sure what it is.

-Gan
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 11:30:55 AM by Gandolf »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 01:52:20 PM »
Somethings nagging at the back of my mind, though I'm not sure what it is.
Probably your Parietal Lobe. Mine used to nag all the time, but it's become very subdued ever since we had the row over Sensory Cortex's grades...
I survived the spammage of 2007

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 04:55:07 PM »
Today I have finally succeeded in converting the game to OpenGl. It's incredibly fast. Loading menu is pretty much finished so now I'll just program more into the movement system and such. I need to make the buttons bigger so it's easier to move and interact. Besides that I'm thinking of allowing the player to hold their finger on the arrow pad to move instead of constantly tapping.

-Gan

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 11:01:33 PM »
It's late.
Still have more to do on the battle system. The player can't attack the npc yet. Also need spawning code and death code... Gotta make npcs smarter so they can get around blocks. Gonna make the lightning on the loading screen animate faster. Want to make map drawing code tons more efficient so there's absolutely no lag whatsoever. Yeah... BBQ tomorrow. Should have plenty of time. Plan on finishing chores fast.

-Gan

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 04:15:23 PM »
Note to self, move up the arrow pad for easier reach.

-Gan

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 07:11:04 PM »
Note to self: Make damage save the image instead of constantly recreating the text image. Should decrease lag immensely.

-Gan
P.S. If need be do the same for the toggle bar.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 07:16:09 PM by Gandolf »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 07:01:51 AM »
I took out the text drawing code and tested it's performance on my iPhone. Ran perfectly at full speed. It's definitely the text drawing code that's slowing it down. Shouldn't be too hard to fix it. Though once done it'll run so much better.

-Gan

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 08:00:54 PM »
Hp bars now only pop up when hp is less than max. I also made them a bit thinner so they won't get in the way.

I still have to fix the text and add in the event system so I can add in the death screen.

-Gan

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 08:58:07 PM »
Text is fixed! OpenGl now draws text incredibly fast with no lag. Game runs at high speed constantly with text drawing.