Topic:   Need Ideas   (Read 3715 times)

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
Need Ideas
« on: February 11, 2014, 01:53:27 PM »
Hey guys, I need some help coming up with an idea.

I plan to participate in a 24-hour "Make-a-thon".  It's an opportunity for me to network with other programmers and develop something that I can put on my résumé. Unfortunately, I don't have any good ideas about what to make.

It can be anything: some highlights from the previous Make-a-thon include a restaurant management app, a zombie detection system, and a dating website for people with undesirable traits.  Anything.

Any ideas? If I was going to make something for you, what would you want me to make?

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: Need Ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 03:07:56 PM »
Something that allows you to interact with others.
Preferably I like the idea of an arena that you join to fight people in.
More people, more fun. And if you got extra time, upgrades you can buy from the arena shop with gold you get from killing. And if you got even more time, you can add doors in the arena that at intervals will release different varieties of creatures that fight each other and the players.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 07:30:30 PM »
Door Simulator 2015

You make different doors out of... door parts.... and then like, there's some sort of advanced door physics simulation... and you have to... manage a... door store?

Hey, there's more ridiculous simulator games on Steam *cough cough*Euro Truck Simulator*hack* *wheeze* Surgeon Simulator *cough*

Some sort of simulation would be neat, though, really. I dunno.
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 10:41:15 AM »
Do something physics related, that's real popular. An angry birds clone or a 2d dirtbike racing game like the old mac game. Just don't do another coin flipper game, we have enough of those  :D

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 10:43:42 AM »
Or a lawn mowing game, where the grass keeps growing back and random weeds spawn that you have to mow twice to eliminate

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 02:05:17 PM »
Thank you all for your suggestions.  I like all of these ideas (maybe not the door simulator, LOL), and I also have some ideas of my own, but I haven't settled on one yet.  I'll probably just go to the Make-a-thon and offer to help somebody who already has a plan.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 02:43:55 PM »
Make a program where you can easily enter what you've been doing at what times and it tells you about how much time you spend on each thing. The user could enter the things they're tracking, like Homework, video games, drawing, sleep, exercise, etc.
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 10:53:03 PM »
I worked with a team of guys to make a light-emitting alarm clock.  We used a Raspberry Pi, an Arduino, a small screen, a string of LEDs, and a round sphere made of laser-cut wood and a plastic shell from a street light.  My job was to make the LEDs change color.  Lots of hilarious problems ensued: the pulse width modulation software for the Pi didn't work, the Pi got fried, the power supply died, the green LEDs wouldn't turn on, the parts didn't fit into the sphere... and then, at the end, when we were about to present our creation to the other teams, all of the green LEDs turned on, and then the second power supply died.  We ended up just talking about the concept, and that was OK because it's a really cool idea and it would've worked if we had had more time.  Despite the challenges, it was 100% fun, and I'm really glad I went.