Topic:   Basic Storyline Needed   (Read 9108 times)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Basic Storyline Needed
« on: October 11, 2009, 09:40:40 AM »
Sorry guys. I'm not going to go into detail about this, but I do need a storyline if I'm going to get it to the revealing point.

Restrictions of storyline:
- Will be using Silver's free tile set.
- Has a max of 5 maps.
- Max map size: 10 tiles width x 7 tiles height.
- Max of 5 talking NPCs per map.
- No max on enemies.
- Controls must be simple.
- Game should take no more than 20 minutes of gameplay to win.
- Special effects: Extremely Low.
- Will follow a QOM-like style.

Any ideas guys?

-Gandolf
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 12:21:00 PM by Gandolf »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
Re: Basic Storyline Needed
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 10:40:26 AM »
Sorry guys. I'm not going to go into detail about this, but I do need a storyline if I'm going to get it to the revealing point.

Restrictions of storyline:
- Will be using Silver's free tile set.
- Has a max of 5 maps.
- Map size: 10 tiles width x 7 tiles height.
- Max of 5 talking NPCs per map.
- No max on enemies.
- Controls must be simple.
- Game should take no more than 20 minutes of gameplay to win.
- Special effects: Extremely Low.
- Will follow a QOM-like style.

Any ideas guys?

-Gandolf
Brilliant! If you pull this off Gan, you'll be an instant GMG legend and you'll accomplish what I never have: a simple RPG. And simple = great in my opinion.

btw, through numerous failed games of experience I've found it's more efficient to design on an uneven grid dimension than an even one. (i.e. have 9 or 11 tiles wide) I'll come up with some food for thought storywise soon.

EDIT:

Just wondering, but do you mean 5 rooms in total? Also, what are you making this in?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 11:33:44 AM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 12:46:21 PM »
Brilliant! If you pull this off Gan, you'll be an instant GMG legend and you'll accomplish what I never have: a simple RPG. And simple = great in my opinion.
Hopefully it won't pose too much of a challenge.

btw, through numerous failed games of experience I've found it's more efficient to design on an uneven grid dimension than an even one. (i.e. have 9 or 11 tiles wide) I'll come up with some food for thought storywise soon.
I'll keep the tile advice in mind, I'm thinking of having black space to the left and right of the game screen to leave room for controls.
I hope you can think of some amazing yet simple storyline as I am having some pretty great difficulty. Though one game that comes across my mind is the first in the Yipe series.

Just wondering, but do you mean 5 rooms in total?
By 5 maps total, that means that the whole world that the player explores will be only 5 maps or less. I could bump this up to 10, but the less maps = more simplicity. Like how in Yipe 1, one map is the town map and the 4 others are caves that appear in the sides of the mountains.

Also, what are you making this in?
That's a secret, though I will make a mock-up in Sc with everything the real game will have.

-Gandolf

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 01:43:48 PM »
Here's a few zany ideas I had for Epicus II awhile back that I never got around to polishing:

The King (no wait, kings are overused… Squire? Baron? Duke? Yeah... Duke is good) the Duke's royal bathrobe has been stolen- nay, kidnapped, and only a handful of brave adventurers are worthy enough to retrieve it: Gramag the Strong, Neith the Beautiful and Sven the Righteous.

So where do you come into the story? You’re just a lowly peasant serving drinks to drunks in the local tavern. Figuring life isn’t all it’s hyped up to be you decide it’s time for a better one. And so begins your Quest for the Royal Bathrobe!

For glory, for reward, and for 100% cotton!

(throughout the game you'll encounter the three "worthy" heroes whilst exploring dungeons in search of the bathrobe, and naturally they'll try to kill you to prevent you from claiming the reward)

The Great Mustard Famine has left the entire realm hungry, and it’s time something was done about it.

For too long hot dog stand owners have been out of business. For too long people have settled with Marmite as a substitute. Well no more!

Scrapping together enough money for regents you set off in search of an answer to the question on everyone’s lips: “What’s causing The Great Mustard Famine?”

(turns out it’s a wizard who prefers ketchup)

Here's the original Epicus dialog too, might it be of any help:

In the land of Mirrah, the great King Brenith issued an order that all wizards were to be slain and fed to his pet the royal dragon! The wizards fought bravely for their lives, but only a few managed to escape the King's wrath.

Among the many that were captured was Azgar Moonbeard, one of the most powerful wizards in the land. Before he was fed to the royal dragon, he called out to the people of the town "My Staff of Cosmos is hidden in Castle Star Reach; I offer it to any who can claim it!"

Adventurers from all over the realm set off at once to find the staff, including you!

I hope you can think of some amazing yet simple storyline as I am having some pretty great difficulty. Though one game that comes across my mind is the first in the Yipe series.
Yeah, that's a great story. Yipe III's plot is the pinnacle of awesomeness in my opinion though. It was item centred (which works very well for short RPGs), had a sinister villain you could grow to oppose, and contained an on going side quest (the princesses). He really thought it through. :)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 01:56:49 PM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 02:54:54 PM »
Those are pretty great story ideas. The Duke's Cotton Robe adventure sounds great, especially with the restrictions placed.
Maybe we can have the main map as the castle court yard with some supply buildings,  and the King's court, then different dungeons can be accessed through parts that open on the main map. Like the well's water supply is gone and you recieve a rope to explore or a hole appears in the wall that leads to an older catacomb.

I'm not too good with storylines, can you guys help me fit this idea with a beginning, middle, and end to the restrictions?

-Gandolf

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 10:59:12 AM »