Topic:   [WIP] Documentary on Creepers   (Read 3970 times)

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
[WIP] Documentary on Creepers
« on: July 02, 2013, 11:52:04 AM »
I recall seeing a video on Youtube that was like a nature film about the life of a Minecraft creeper and it was rather entertaining, however it was not great quality and I doubt the accuracy of this person's findings. I have done a lot of research on these creatures and their overall life cycle and learned much of their behaviors and decided there needs to be an updated film based on these discoveries. I even found proof that creepers may in fact be not animals, but fungi. Thus I recently began compiling my own findings into the following summary, which I believe could be easily adapted to a script for a video:

The creeper is a very strange creature found all across the land of Minecraftia. It does not seem to be absent from any biome, due in part to it’s tendency to wander aimlessly, sometimes crossing long distances before tiring.

The reasons for the creature’s upright posture and peculiar overall appearance are largely unknown. The popular theory is that  due to the creeper’s particularly effective natural defenses and unique reproductive habits, it’s overall shape and appearance and exact means of movement were not a major factor in natural selection and thus it gained some fairly random traits resulting in the haunting visage it has today. Incidentally the eyes of the creeper are in fact quite small and are found in the center of these black circles on it’s head.

The creeper will generally ignore most other creatures of the land, and others tend to leave the creeper alone out of respect for it’s quick temper. However, if the creeper feels threatened, it does not run away but instead moves toward it’s target and upon getting close enough it explodes, violently, usually killing both itself and the target and with enough force to leave a large crater in the ground. The explosion is known to be caused by igniting a kind of gunpowder which forms in the creeper’s insides; the spark seems to be created by reflexively clicking together two bones at the back of the throat with a special muscle. However, the creeper’s explosion does more than eliminate perceived threats.

Perhaps the strangest trait of these creatures is their reproductive cycle. The overall life cycle of the creeper is unlike that of any other known animal. It is asexual and has in fact been likened to that of many types of fungi. You see, the creepers tendency to explode is not only a defense mechanism; when the explosion is triggered it releases a cloud of tiny spores at high velocity - spores which have the chance to become creepers themselves. These spores can float on wind currents or be carried by water possibly for many miles before settling on the ground at which time they will attempt to take root. However, in order to actually grow a spore must chance upon an area which is fairly dark and provides sufficient moisture and nutrients, not unlike the places in which one may find the two common types of mushrooms. The spore then enters a kind of larval stage, where it will be rooted to the spot and even looks much like a mushroom with it’s head being wider than the body. In this stage the mouth and eyes appear to be closed as if asleep and are barely noticeable. The creeper stays in this state until it is nearly fully grown, at which time it will open it’s eyes and mouth and use it’s newly developed legs to uproot itself and begin wandering the land.

The adult creeper has a fairly thick skin and is fully capable of surviving any biome, from frozen tundras to barren deserts, although it seems to prefer darkened areas such as caves, and thus is seen above ground far more often during the night time. Of course, since the spores tend to grow only in certain conditions, creepers found in very cold or dry places are mostly there due to their nomadic nature.
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: [WIP] Documentary on Creepers
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 12:07:42 PM »
Creepers are fungi.

Keep your feet clean mem, don't want creepers growing between your toes.

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

• Sorry for being such a noob
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 11:46:09 PM »
what if it has a frown cause it just wants a hug, but can't hug anyone without exploding
Just your average Weekend Warrior.
Yes I know I have bad spelling, it's what makes me such a good programmer!

"Old art, weather magnificent or wretched, is always the raw material of new art. The artist's job, though, is to

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 01:10:59 AM »
what if it has a frown cause it just wants a hug, but can't hug anyone without exploding
I like that reasoning.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 12:27:57 PM »
I wonder what the inspiration for the creeper was. It's become such an icon on the internet that I don't even give it a second thought, but it's a really strange concept for a monster.
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 12:41:09 PM »
I wonder what the inspiration for the creeper was. It's become such an icon on the internet that I don't even give it a second thought, but it's a really strange concept for a monster.
I recall Notch saying that he wanted some monsters that were as unique as possible and hadn't really been done, such as Creepers and Ghasts and Blazes. I also know that the inspiration for the shape came from accidentally making a pig model wrong.
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 10:04:40 PM »
Minecraft pig with the body parts in the wrong places = creeper...

cannot unsee....

Because it is....
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!