Topic:   (in)Complete Zombie Survival Guide   (Read 5897 times)

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
(in)Complete Zombie Survival Guide
« on: January 14, 2013, 04:29:38 PM »
I've always thought about the possibility of a zombie outbreak. In the event of something like this happening, what would I do? I'm not a crazy person, I do not think this is gonna happen, but it's a fun thing to imagine. I've decided to post my plan here, in case anyone's interested.

Keep in mind, this guide is meant to use easily accessible items that are found in almost every house, which means NO GUNS. Also, because civilization will be/have falling/fallen apart, these are meant to be items that last and don't need fuel. You won't be finding outlets on your journey.

Transportation:
Bicycle, obviously enough. Cars require fuel, and unless you plan on digging for and refining oil on your journey, I doubt you'll find any. Bicycles are fast, don't require much energy, and you can attach things to them. If you're some kinda genius, you can even use it to generate power as you go along.

What to pack:
1-2 person tent
Backpack - A blanket which is both light and warm, a crank flashlight radio, a hatchet (one of the best zombie killing and firewood chopping devices), as many matches as you can possibly find (for burning bodies and cooking), a variety of nonperishable foods, marshmallows (who doesn't love marshmallows? Quick energy, and a nighttime activity to keep you alert), harmonica (music helps keep you from going insane, you know), rope (for strangling zombies, setting a tripwire alarm system by tying cans or other noisy objects on rope, when the rope is pulled on, the cans move and make noise, a pulley for elevating food to keep it away from bears), and a pocket knife (for cutting out infected wounds)

Ok, that's a big backpack, but who cares.
Your bike should have a water bottle holder. Take a water bottle. Clean water will be scarce, but you might find other things to keep in it.
If you can, use bungie cords to attach a bag containing a coat, an extra pair of clothes, more food, and a sleeping bag.
Try to attach a fishing pole.

Where to go? Somewhere forested. It'll be harder for the zombies to get you there, there'll be wood to make a fire. Try to find a place near an area with fruit trees and a forest that contains wild berries. Also, be near a body of water.

Who to bring? Not a dog. They can be noisy and they eat a lot and really don't help. Bring close friends who you know will pull their weight and not kill you in your sleep. Friends will help you stay sane and can be eaten if there's no other option (kidding, don't eat your friends. Starve together or die alone). It's also important to note that you can get more accomplished with multiple people. You can have a night watch, and have someone chopping firewood and someone hunting or gathering fruits and berries. I'd suggest a 2-4 person group. If you have too many people in one spot, you're easier to find.

Killing zombies? Kill a zombie with a quick hatchet stroke to the neck. Cutting their heads off is the traditional way to kill a zombie. Procede to burn the bodies of zombies. Zombies MIGHT reanimate, like in resident evil, but either way, it's best not to have bodies laying around because of disease. And the stench of the dead might attract other zombies. Realistically, if you're camping in the woods as I suggested, there won't be many zombies, but if you take trips to cities to gather resources, then you'll need to be experienced in killing zombies.

Have more to add? Feel free to add information in the thread.
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: (in)Complete Zombie Survival Guide
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 04:46:32 PM »
Sounds like Minecraft in the 7th paragraph.

Get shoes or boots that'll last. Nothing worse than going barefoot or tearing the soles of your fancy loafers.
A place with a fresh water source like a spring is best, sitting water attracts insects like mosquitoes which carry diseases. Possibly the zombie virus.

Don't bring household pets, if you do have a hunting dog that is loyal and quiet, that would be very useful for getting food and having constant protection against zombies.

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 03:51:46 PM »
All good ideas, but I recommend sleeping in the trees instead of on the ground.  I don't know if zombies can climb trees, but I'm sure that you can set some tin-can alarms to wake you up when the zombies and critters walk through.  This will give you a huge advantage, because you'll know where they are, but they won't even know that you're there (although humans will be smart enough to suspect it).

Face it, you're going to want to have a gun.  Chopping off zombies' heads with a hatchet is good, but killing them from a safe distance is even better.  And guns are more common than you think, especially in secluded areas such as the woods.  Get a bolt-action .22 LR rifle with a red dot sight and carry a large quantity of ammo in your backpack.  (.22 LR is mostly sold in 300+ or even 500+ round bulk packs, so it's easy to find in quantity... find just one box of it, and you're all set.)  Build an improvised silencer to mask where the shots are coming from.  When the zombie alarm goes off at night, just look down from your tree, put some earplugs in, pop the zombies in the dome, remove the earplugs, and go back to sleep.  If you have a couple of friends with you and they do the same thing, then nighttime will be the safest time to be in the woods.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 04:55:52 PM »
Just gotta hope there's plenty of bullets in the world to find.

I can't agree more on the tree thing. Except watch for insects, bee hives, and nests of birds that can get very territorial.
Surviving in the wild can be very hard. Surviving while being hunted is even harder.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 06:05:03 PM »
You could make a cool tree house society if zombies can't climb. And if they can, you have someone stand at the ladder with an axe.

Trust me, guns are gonna be really hard to find once the zombies come. No more people means no more manufacturing of bullets and no more selling bullets. Anyone who has a gun is going to keep it for them for themselves, and I'm assuming none of you have hundreds of bullets in your basements. Not to mention the fact that you'll be finding hunting shotguns and rifles which are hardly undead killing machines. Rifles are slow to reload, and zombies attack in hordes. Bam, click click, bam, click AUGH. You're dead. Shotguns have a big spread and are pretty much useless on Zombies from a distance. You have to kill the brain to kill the zombie. A shotgun would only be useful on a zombie from within an axe stroke, because of the way they work. You need to penetrate the skull in order to kill a zombie, and that wouldn't be easy from a distance. And even if you do have an assault rifle and an infinite bullets cheat code for life, chances are the zombies will still overwhelm you. You need to be away from the large packs. If you hide yourself, you'll only need to kill a stray zombie every once and a while.

Guns are loud. Loud noises attract zombies. You're MUCH safer with a good axe. Gimli approves.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 06:14:12 PM »
Zoo does got a point. Perhaps a rifle for hunting in the wild. Like for deer.

Wild animals like bears and lions probably will attack zombies thinking they are food cause they smell flesh. Plus vultures and other road kill eating birds will go after the slow and easy source of food.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 06:21:05 PM »
Well, nobody said that before. For hunting, a hunting rifle is obviously fine, but killing zombies with one would be less effective than an axe.

On my old apple iBook. Calender is glitching. Hello from New Years Eve 1963.

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 11:12:50 PM »
Hmm, ok.  I didn't realize that most of the zombies would be away from the woods.  In that case we might be able to survive without guns.

By the way, machetes are also a good choice for melee.  Lightweight, easier to swing than an axe, with a long sharp edge.  Some types are specially designed for combat.  You can also use them for some light chopping tasks, and even for skinning animals (though a knife is much better for that).

If we want to hunt small animals, then we can use airguns.  I have a couple.  Much quieter than firearms, virtually silent in a dense forest.  Powered by pneumatic pumping handles which use air as a free source of energy, and they shoot tiny lead pellets which can be recovered, melted down and re-cast.  I literally have hundreds of pellets already.

On my old apple iBook. Calender is glitching. Hello from New Years Eve 1963.
Try zapping the PRAM.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 03:41:13 PM »
It just wasn't connected to the internet.

As for machetes, they're great, if you have one. But I'll guess that a hatchet is the most lightweight and useful thing to have with you, for killing and other activities. As for melting down and recasting pellets, you could also melt them into nails to use for construction of more permanent shelter in the trees.

Zombies are slow, and they're also just human bodies. Not many people live in the woods, not many zombies are there. Also, zombies are dumb. They wouldn't notice a few zombies missing and they wouldn't notice a small group of tree shelters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyeXm3VanI4

You'd need an axe anyway, for chopping wood. Wood is an absolute necessity when surviving zombies. You HAVE to burn the corpses, because they might reanimate.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 03:48:13 PM »
Eh, creepy.

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 03:39:14 PM »
Oh wow.  Making a joke about the OJ Simpson murders is messed up enough, but mentioning the JFK assassination as casually as he did is downright disturbing.  Way over the top.  That guy is either a budding psychopath or a very talented actor.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 03:51:13 PM »
I thought you meant me, and I was really confused for like 5 minutes... You mean the Game Theory guy... Watch some other episodes... like the one about Star Fox. I don't think he's a budding psychopath...

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 04:55:55 PM »
It's surprising, not a single one of you mentioned first aid OR a way to purify water. I guess Gan touched on water but if you can find one get a filter, or get some of those purifier tablets. And clothes that cover most of your body.

It's fun to talk about how you would kill zombies but if I would probably avoid situations where I might have to kill zombies or even get anywhere near them. Know why? Not because I'm a coward. Disease. Any virus that was able to spread to that many people is not something you want to take your chances with. It could be spread through contact with blood, open wounds or might even be in the water. If it's blood, all it takes is one small open scratch to get infected. And if a virus wasn't enough, rotting bodies could also harbor any number of nasty things. That said, if you were trying to avoid contact with blood...
 Melee would be a very. Bad. Idea.
In fact, staying clean and sanitary might be the most serious concern, which lends support to the idea of running off to the woods with some supplies. And a space suit.

(kidding about the space suit)

On the topic of guns:
We're talking about a scenario where most of the people who would have used guns and bullets are dead. Where there was once a massive population, there is now a surplus of all kinds of products - including food, tools and bullets! It might depend where you are and whether you already own a gun but there's a fair chance you could find bullets if you wanted to. As for whether a gun is a good idea or what kind, I say keep one with you if you can use it, but don't use it all the time.

If you had to stay in the city for some reason:
Fortifying a building isn't easy. So don't do too much of that. Live on the roof! Find a building with nothing nearby to climb up, and a ladder that you can climb and then pull onto the roof with you. You could fend off attackers with less risk. The downside to a rooftop or any fortified position, however, is the need of an escape route... Which is the main reason for avoiding the city. You don't want to be surrounded.

I sort of like the idea of a convenience store with stairs leading up since you could barricade them and the zombies would be too dumb to find the stairs. And you're sitting right on top of a food store (pun intended).
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 03:49:06 PM »
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

alexnew3334

• GMG Newbie

• no avatar

• Gan is so awesome.
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2023, 05:06:45 AM »
It's fascinating how your well-thought-out survival plan emphasizes resourcefulness and sustainability in a post-apocalyptic scenario. Just as your guide focuses on using easily accessible items, the importance of strategic resource utilization is also evident in economics case study writing. Like your choice of essentials for survival, crafting a comprehensive economics case study requires careful data, tools, and methods selection. Both scenarios emphasize effective planning and execution for optimal outcomes. Great post and I appreciate the connection between your survival strategy and the world of economics case study writing.