Topic:   Steam Machines   (Read 3567 times)

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
Steam Machines
« on: October 04, 2013, 04:23:47 PM »
OK, so Valve is making a console with Steam OS and their awesome controller.

All I can say is that I've found the best Next Gen console. THESE THINGS ARE AWESOME.

Some of them have i7s and GTX Titans. Plus the OS is free to use: you can make your own Steambox OR partition a Mac so that you can play all the Steam games, including Windows ones. Or build yourself a console.

Valve is even making the CAD files for the case available for free. And the controllers will work on PCs with regular Steam.

All I can say is that if Half Life 3 is announced (they've patented it in Europe already, I think) then Valve has won the awesome company of the century award. Oh wait. They already have that award.

edit:
If Valve can do marketing right, I think it's safe to say that they will, hands down, make one of the most successful consoles ever. I like the idea of making a completely open system, and I think a lot of people will too. This will mean a bigger audience for indie games, everyone playing on the same servers, console or PC, and INFINITE BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY.

Oh, and every game is supported with Valve's controller. And they're going to have to stop porting their games to other consoles, because the one thing that makes a console appealing to the average consumer is big budget exclusives.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 04:29:10 PM by Zoo »
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
Re: Steam Machines
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 06:37:24 PM »
When I become a billionaire I'm gonna make one that's literally powered from a steam powered generator.
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Charlo

• GMG-er

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 06:37:21 PM »
Anything to convince the unwashed console gaming peasantry that PCs are simply a superior gaming experience.  First, give them a PC with a controller for input and a TV for display...then take away the TV...then the controller...and domination is finally ours!

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 08:52:59 PM »
Controllers are very good for platformers. Despite being a PC gamer, I still own a PC gamepad, for the occasional indie game.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 11:23:43 AM »
I beat Super Meat Boy and got a lot of the unlockables with a keyboard. I'm a little nervous posting this message though. Edmund McMillen is not someone I'd want to be out to get me.

- Tim Rogers

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 04:50:36 PM »
Nothing wrong with using a keyboard, but I think using a controller helps a bit with platformers. I replayed Cave Story+ on hard mode with a controller. Well, I got to the sand zone anyway. Then I realized that hard mode is nearly impossible.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 11:53:42 AM »
I'm just joking about the big warning they put in the intro to Super Meat Boy...

I've never tried to use a joystick for aiming much. A mouse just makes sense.

- Tim Rogers