Topic:   Artillery game tutorial   (Read 13280 times)

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
Artillery game tutorial
« on: July 24, 2012, 10:54:58 PM »
Sup guys.  It's tutorial summer, and I've been working on one for the past several weeks.  I just uploaded a very rough early version of the first video to YouTube.  Please watch this and give me some honest criticism.  Tell me if there are logical gaps in my explanation, or if it just isn't clear.  (Don't be afraid to be honest, I know that my voice narration is really bad!)  I've been working on this by myself for such a long time that I don't know if it even makes sense.

http://youtu.be/UU4JVFt1qAc

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: Artillery game tutorial
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 11:42:32 PM »
That is epic sauce.  ;D

I love all the little puns you have. I didn't expect a full blown presentation either. When I make a tutorial, I don't plan really, I just talk. Probably why yours is 7 minutes and mine are 30+ minutes....
Way cool, the video demos in it were a really nice touch. And the hushed voice adds a sort of focus effect.

I feel smarter.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 08:36:04 AM »
I like the presentation, but throughout the time of this thread, I've been thinking of Worms, and worms breaks the "Dense Powder" rule. Collapses don't happen, so I imagine a worms-esque game with material that doesn't collapse would be significantly easier to program, giving you more time to add sheep.

Also, what about 3D terrain? That's gotta be a challenge.
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 02:31:38 PM »
That is epic sauce.  ;D

I love all the little puns you have. I didn't expect a full blown presentation either. When I make a tutorial, I don't plan really, I just talk. Probably why yours is 7 minutes and mine are 30+ minutes....
Way cool, the video demos in it were a really nice touch. And the hushed voice adds a sort of focus effect.

I feel smarter.
Thanks Gan!  :D  I spent a lot of time on the slideshow.  Do you think I should re-record the voice narration, or should I keep it the way it is?  I kind of like my mistakes, but I don't know if people might find them offensive ("I don't think you can even read", etc.).  I forgot to add an introduction message at the beginning, so I need to add that.

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 02:32:55 PM »
I like the presentation, but throughout the time of this thread, I've been thinking of Worms, and worms breaks the "Dense Powder" rule. Collapses don't happen, so I imagine a worms-esque game with material that doesn't collapse would be significantly easier to program, giving you more time to add sheep.
I think you're right.  Worms requires a 2D array, and that's the most natural way to program a 2D game.  What do you mean about adding sheep?

Haha.  Don't expect me to make a video about that.  I don't know anything about 3D.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 03:11:49 PM »
That is epic sauce.  ;D

I feel smarter.
Thanks Gan!  :D  I spent a lot of time on the slideshow.  Do you think I should re-record the voice narration, or should I keep it the way it is?  I kind of like my mistakes, but I don't know if people might find them offensive ("I don't think you can even read", etc.).  I forgot to add an introduction message at the beginning, so I need to add that.
That's not offensive, it made me laugh. I think the narration is awesome as-is.

I think you're right.  Worms requires a 2D array, and that's the most natural way to program a 2D game.  What do you mean about adding sheep?

Haha.  Don't expect me to make a video about that.  I don't know anything about 3D.
Zoo was referring to the chat box game... cause it took forever until I finally added sheep.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 04:18:13 PM »
Nope. Sheep. It's a worms thing. You can use sheep as a weapon in worms. Good guess though.
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 08:57:58 PM »
Hehe.  Now I remember.  The exploding sheep.  ;D

Well, I guess I'll keep the voice narration as-is, with the addition of a short introductory message at the beginning.  I'll upload it tomorrow and post the link.

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 06:34:35 PM »

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 11:33:30 PM »
You did fine Circuit, I'm looking forward to learning how you made your engine. All these curve equations are beyond me.

also lol
* Three bullet points make crap look professional.
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 10:02:05 PM »
Thanks Connors  :D  Part 2 should be done and uploaded sometime next week.

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 09:36:59 PM »
Well, next week came and went.  More than a year has passed, but the second video is nearly finished!  Man-oh-man, this was a hard one to make... took me a whole year!  Actually, to tell you the truth, I stopped after the first video because the internet didn't show any interest in my videos for several months.  But I got a couple of positive comments recently, so I decided to start up again.  I don't like to disappoint people.

Hey Gan, can you fix the HTML5 GM?  I really want to record a screencap for my third video, but I get database errors when I try to open my games...

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 08:40:47 AM »
Interesting, I'll have to take a look at it later today.

Edit: Looks like the SQL credentials have changed. I messaged Ghost.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 09:07:23 AM by Gan »

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 06:25:57 PM »
Part 2 is up, and part 1 has been remade.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 11:40:17 PM »
HTML5 GM is fixed.