Topic:   GM Game Database   (Read 26891 times)

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
Re: GM Game Database
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 08:22:21 PM »
Looks like all the old GM games are still on AOL, but I can only get to the links from the Windows AOL because there's no Mac AOL anymore. It's just AOL Desktop which is basically just a web browser with an integrated AOL email client. I may try connecting with my old Mac, but other than that I'll have to download them all from my parents house over the next few weeks. The descriptions are all there which makes it interesting. ...
Wow, excellent!  Hey, would you mind posting the links?  (IIRC, if you go to your Favorite Places folder, you can click an "Edit..." button to view the actual aol:// protocol URLs.)  I recently installed OS 8 on my Intel Mac under SheepShaver, and I think I might be able to access the libraries with the old AOL 4.0 client.  I have a lot of free time right now, so I wouldn't mind downloading them all and saving the descriptions in TextEdit.  Whichever ones are missing from the GMG's archive, I'll send to Gan or Tim so that they can upload them.  (Hope they don't mind... lol).   BTW, some of the games are compressed with Compact Pro and as VISE installers, so they need to be downloaded on a Mac or else the resource forks will be lost and they won't work.

This is a very interesting idea. I am watching from afar (lurkin' as always).
Hey x.  I've always wondered how you became connected with the GMG, because as far as I know, you haven't made any GM or SC games.  Did you used to be on the AOL forums too?

x

• GMG-er

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 10:43:47 PM »
Looks like all the old GM games are still on AOL, but I can only get to the links from the Windows AOL because there's no Mac AOL anymore. It's just AOL Desktop which is basically just a web browser with an integrated AOL email client. I may try connecting with my old Mac, but other than that I'll have to download them all from my parents house over the next few weeks. The descriptions are all there which makes it interesting. ...
Wow, excellent!  Hey, would you mind posting the links?  (IIRC, if you go to your Favorite Places folder, you can click an "Edit..." button to view the actual aol:// protocol URLs.)  I recently installed OS 8 on my Intel Mac under SheepShaver, and I think I might be able to access the libraries with the old AOL 4.0 client.  I have a lot of free time right now, so I wouldn't mind downloading them all and saving the descriptions in TextEdit.  Whichever ones are missing from the GMG's archive, I'll send to Gan or Tim so that they can upload them.  (Hope they don't mind... lol).   BTW, some of the games are compressed with Compact Pro and as VISE installers, so they need to be downloaded on a Mac or else the resource forks will be lost and they won't work.

This is a very interesting idea. I am watching from afar (lurkin' as always).
Hey x.  I've always wondered how you became connected with the GMG, because as far as I know, you haven't made any GM or SC games.  Did you used to be on the AOL forums too?

Yeah I was a member of the old GM forums, as well as the old GMG forums. I've been lukin' for about a decade I think 0.0.

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 02:03:34 AM »
Yeah I was a member of the old GM forums, as well as the old GMG forums. I've been lukin' for about a decade I think 0.0.
That's what I thought, but I don't remember anybody named x.  What was your AOL username?

x

• GMG-er

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 11:57:32 PM »
That's what I thought, but I don't remember anybody named x.  What was your AOL username?

I can't remember, I think it was something stupid like 'infect' or some random assortment of letters and numbers like 'mw3489'.

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 02:53:45 AM »
Here are the links to the AOL GameMaker Games libraries. You need to sign onto AOL using the AOL software to access these.

GameMaker Games 1: aol://4400:12739/
GameMaker Games 2: aol://4400:29333/
Mac Game Design Tools: aol://4400:29621/

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2012, 07:09:52 PM »
Here are the links to the AOL GameMaker Games libraries. You need to sign onto AOL using the AOL software to access these.

GameMaker Games 1: aol://4400:12739/
GameMaker Games 2: aol://4400:29333/
Mac Game Design Tools: aol://4400:29621/
Awesome!  Thank you so much, Al.  Sorry to pester you, but do you have links to any of the other Mac game libraries too?  If you could post all of those that you have, that would be really great.  Thanks Al.   :)

EDIT: I just tried connecting to AOL with 4.0, over TCP/IP instead of dial-up, and... it... works!  Somehow it WORKS!  I was hesitant to try because I was afraid that my dad would get an unexpected bill from AOL (we switched to Comcast years ago).  But if a bill does come, I'll pay it.  Now it's time to download EVERYTHING!!!  It's going to be a long night...

EDIT AGAIN: The second time I launched AOL, it remembered everything from the old master account: usernames, my buddy list, etc..  When I got off, it said "the pricing plan for this billing cycle is for unlimited use."  Some kind of bill is definitely coming.   ::)

EDIT AGAIN AGAIN: Cola Quest is mine once more!  I will never delete you again, my love.
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd504/Circuit11/colaquest.png
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 09:20:21 PM by Circuit »

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2012, 10:06:52 PM »
It pains my heart to know that you younger folks have never seen this.  You must download this, it's pure gold.  If you don't, your life will never be complete.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2012, 10:36:13 PM »
I'm glad you're having so much success(and fun). I'll try out Skate or Die in Sheep Shaver...

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2012, 10:37:53 PM »
It should work in OS X, unless you have Lion.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2012, 10:50:23 PM »
I'm running Lion.

Crazy thing, I try to open it in Sheep Shaver and it alerts "Unknown Error". Then Sheep Shaver dies.

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2012, 12:30:52 AM »
That's odd.  Perhaps it's the added carbon code that's causing the problem?  Here, try the non-carbonized version.

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2012, 07:14:22 AM »
When I got off, it said "the pricing plan for this billing cycle is for unlimited use."  Some kind of bill is definitely coming

Go to keyword BILLING. There should be an option for a free account. That's what I have. AOL is free if you connect using another ISP. I have verizon.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2012, 01:40:43 PM »
Non-carbonized worked well!

Haha, couldn't figure out how to play though. Kept dying.

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2012, 08:26:05 PM »
Go to keyword BILLING. There should be an option for a free account. That's what I have. AOL is free if you connect using another ISP. I have verizon.
Thanks.  I tried keyword BILLING, but the page wouldn't load because the server couldn't be found.  No problem though, I just looked at my account info on aol.com with Safari, and it says I already have free AOL.  Woot!

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2012, 08:55:25 PM »
Non-carbonized worked well!

Haha, couldn't figure out how to play though. Kept dying.
Yeah, you have to click the invisible button and then enter the secret 50-digit code.  ;)  I just felt like sharing this because it's such a good example of the spirit of GM: cool, random, violent, and hilarious.