Topic:   Advancing technology   (Read 13296 times)

x

• GMG-er

Re: Advancing technology
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2011, 08:36:04 AM »
Eww coffee. I'd go with a cup o' milk or hot chocolate.

Both are good choices, I do love a cup of warm milk.

Telstar5

• GMG-er

• The sun is up, the sky is blue...
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2011, 01:32:59 PM »
Don't laugh at my life ambition :P

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2011, 05:10:53 PM »
Tea all the way, and awesome aspirations Tel. ;)
I survived the spammage of 2007

x

• GMG-er

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2011, 05:04:33 AM »
I wasn't laughing at the aspiration, but at this phrase: "It's just a question of getting around to it". Such a fantastic understatement.

I'm sure one day after taking countless courses in Operation Systems and low level programming you might get a band of programmers together to make the next big OS. But I don't see it happening any time soon, making an OS is just about the hardest task you could have set yourself. Sure think big, but start small. Perhaps by learning C if you don't already know it. Many modern OS's are based on C. And it gives a good insight into lower level considerations.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 05:07:41 AM by x »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2011, 08:37:35 AM »
Next year I'm taking a class based on this (http://www1.idc.ac.il/tecs/), in which I'll build an (emulated) computer from the ground up... all the way from logic gates to the operating system!

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2011, 08:38:32 AM »
oh yea, telstar cant even program yet hes talking about making an os

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2011, 10:04:54 AM »
Dude.  :-/

Telstar5

• GMG-er

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2011, 11:03:01 AM »
Sure I can, eq. I've learned some C basics in my spare time and I'm getting into C# at the moment. Just because I haven't released any applications or games since 2009 doesn't mean I can't program.

Next year I'm taking a class based on this (http://www1.idc.ac.il/tecs/), in which I'll build an (emulated) computer from the ground up... all the way from logic gates to the operating system!
That sounds like a pretty sweet class - that looks like a really good book, too :)

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2011, 11:15:43 AM »
Just because I haven't released any applications or games since 2009 doesn't mean I can't program.
uh, yar it does.

what fulfillment are you gonna get out of this? if your doing it "just for something to do" then you should focus on something more productive and realistic

if someone said "i made an os, want to see it?" ide be like "no.", however if they said they made a game or something interesting, that would be a different story

so, 1) why waste your time on something that will most likely never get done and 2) something that noone cares about?

Telstar5

• GMG-er

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2011, 01:38:41 PM »
Okay, I'm convinced, a changed man based on the barely legible ramblings of a Mac fanboy on the internet (which I used to think was the worst combination possible, but I'M TRANSFORMED NOW) make a suggestion to me; what can I do to contribute to the world of computing in a major way, so major that it'll be remembered in 20 years time?

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2011, 03:22:50 PM »
We've discussed this and decided Linux would not be the right way to go. There is another open-source OS we're looking into and thinking of building on top of that (it offers a lot of what we have in mind and what we think people need rather than want from an OS), but until we finish university, very little is going to happen (except for the usual writing down of ideas).

If we actually had the tools and knowledge to implement ALL the designs we have (and believe me, we've got a lot), *theoretically* it would be far superior to any other readily available operating system. It's just a question of getting around to it :P

That's good that you're innovating! You should also consider taking an HCI course since it sounds like you'll be doing CS. This will give you a feel for what the latest improvements are in human-computer interaction. You'll have to offer something better than what Apple is offering on either PCs or mobile platforms, as well as what Google is offering on the mobile side.

To give you an idea of what it takes to build an OS comparable to Linux, OS X, or Android, there are hundreds of the best engineers available (usually with a Masters+ degree) working for several years (OS X has been in development since the late 80s, Android since ~2004, etc) to get the job done.

x

• GMG-er

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2011, 07:46:10 PM »
Okay, I'm convinced, a changed man based on the barely legible ramblings of a Mac fanboy on the internet (which I used to think was the worst combination possible, but I'M TRANSFORMED NOW) make a suggestion to me; what can I do to contribute to the world of computing in a major way, so major that it'll be remembered in 20 years time?

Not an OS. Maybe a highly addictive game.. oh yeh, that'll never happen, indie game developers don't ever get anywhere...
*COUGH* Minecraft, Eschalon, Tetric *COUGH* Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Limbo, Pacman *COUGH*. Man I cannot shake this cough!

Also - barely legible as he may be - Eq is wise, and I have never known him to say something that was ill considered.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 07:49:12 PM by x »

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2011, 08:50:15 AM »
mac fanboy...? where did that come from.

(ive said this so many times) just cause you know what the commands do, doesnt mean you can program, when you can write a few hundred lines and get it to run without crashing, thats more along the lines of programming, and you havent done anything

someone on snet claimed they were gonna make an os and we all shot him down and after a while he came to his senses

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2011, 09:08:29 AM »
someone on snet claimed they were gonna make an os and we all shot him down and after a while he came to his senses
...and built the best damn social networking site for astronauts in the world: Spacebook!
I survived the spammage of 2007

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2011, 09:29:41 AM »
lol
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!