Topic:   Advancing technology   (Read 13206 times)

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
Re: Advancing technology
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 08:21:17 PM »
I love all old (and new) macs. I want an apple lisa:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Lisa
I read about this in a biography of Steve Jobs, it was a failure because of it's 10,000$ price tag. Man, a good computer was expensive back then.
It's too bad apple gave 2700 of them to a junkyard.
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 10:34:54 AM »
or a nextstep computer, they cost 10 grand back in the day too, and came with a collosal 400 meg hard drive and 16 megs of ram expandable to 64!!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 10:35:52 AM by EqwanoX »

Telstar5

• GMG-er

• The sun is up, the sky is blue...
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 01:09:30 PM »
I've been working on an Atom based all-in-one stainless steel Mac Classic-esque computer for quite some time. Eventually I'll get a prototype built, make the OS I've designed and hopefully release it after me and my friends form the company we've been talking about since 2007...

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 01:54:54 PM »
Making an OS is a big deal. Lotsa code.
My guess is it'd take forever to get a working prototype.

What sort of designs are you looking for in your future OS? Anything unique?

Telstar5

• GMG-er

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 02:50:33 PM »
What sort of designs are you looking for in your future OS? Anything unique?
All in good time ;)

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 04:02:07 PM »
I read about that one too. It was built much later though so I don't think it's a fair comparison.

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 06:50:45 PM »
I've been working on an Atom based all-in-one stainless steel Mac Classic-esque computer for quite some time. Eventually I'll get a prototype built, make the OS I've designed and hopefully release it after me and my friends form the company we've been talking about since 2007...

Take a few classes in OS design and you might re-think writing your own OS. An alternative is to customize a Linux OS to have the features you want and distribute that. This would take significantly less time and be built on top of a tried and tested OS.

x

• GMG-er

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 07:19:59 PM »
The only thing more complicated than writing a 3D engine without using an API, is writing an Operating System.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2011, 10:36:00 AM »
i think telstar is joking, if not, thats the most moronic thing ever said on the forums. making an os would be unfulfilling and pointless. thats something that would never even get started
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 10:38:06 AM by EqwanoX »

Telstar5

• GMG-er

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2011, 10:41:57 AM »
Take a few classes in OS design and you might re-think writing your own OS. An alternative is to customize a Linux OS to have the features you want and distribute that. This would take significantly less time and be built on top of a tried and tested OS.
We've discussed this and decided Linux would not be the right way to go. There is another open-source OS we're looking into and thinking of building on top of that (it offers a lot of what we have in mind and what we think people need rather than want from an OS), but until we finish university, very little is going to happen (except for the usual writing down of ideas).

If we actually had the tools and knowledge to implement ALL the designs we have (and believe me, we've got a lot), *theoretically* it would be far superior to any other readily available operating system. It's just a question of getting around to it :P

GabrielCA

• GMG-er

• no avatar

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 04:02:57 PM »
Unless tech companies start making properly engineered products, I will refuse to buy them. It's less about advancing technology now; it's more about letting some marketing types chuck some components into a branded plastic box and selling it at a premium to the gadget hungry public with no consideration for a) how it will be used b) how long it will last and c) what purpose it serves.

Case in point, my IBM Model M keyboard; mechanical keyswitch, curved typing angle, built in the UK 1989 and it still works flawlessly. That's nearly 22 years - which you might just call 'retro', but it's a feat of engineering and good product design for an input peripheral to be still working years past obsolescence. Compare this to the flimsy offerings from Apple, Microsoft, Kensington, Logitech etc. which have silly 'multimedia' keys, no tactile response, about half a millimetre of key travel to activation point and peel apart in 3 years. Same thing with Apple. Third gen iPod still working from 2003 with firewire support (which is *faster* than USB 2.0!), compared to the iPod Touch/iPhone which has poor battery life, breaks if you drop it out of your pocket more than twice and most importantly no firewire support which is a step backwards! Intel iMac '06 still working (sort of, optical drive totally shot), compared to newer iMac models that overheat if you try and play HD footage.

I am playing devil's advocate here, but you cannot deny that well-engineered products just do not exist anymore. No matter how far technology goes, it won't make a difference if cutting edge products break down every few weeks and are purposely made obsolete every few months. There's my $0.02.

I guess advanced technology doesn't imply good, durable engineering, which depends on the will of the manufacturer. Making durable products isn't necessarily everyone's first goal.

Also: there appears to be a lot a of hype, and "technology" can easily become a loosely defined word.

My favorite "durable gadget": TV's from circa 1970 that still work. I like the old, "analog" TVs: the volume doesn't change at an annoying fixed predetermined rate as you simply turn a knob.

Also, I saw a real running NextStep machine recently. Quite fancy, especially for something made in the 1990's and with only four colors.
Creator of the deprecated plugin KeyDetect (2005)

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 05:01:41 PM »
Woah. I wish my computer had four whole colors.

GabrielCA

• GMG-er

• no avatar

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2011, 06:47:27 PM »
Well, it's not that bad, the original Mac only had two
Creator of the deprecated plugin KeyDetect (2005)

x

• GMG-er

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2011, 05:03:29 AM »
We've discussed this and decided Linux would not be the right way to go. There is another open-source OS we're looking into and thinking of building on top of that (it offers a lot of what we have in mind and what we think people need rather than want from an OS), but until we finish university, very little is going to happen (except for the usual writing down of ideas).

If we actually had the tools and knowledge to implement ALL the designs we have (and believe me, we've got a lot), *theoretically* it would be far superior to any other readily available operating system. It's just a question of getting around to it :P

I just laughed into my cup of coffee burnt my face.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2011, 06:34:17 AM »
Eww coffee. I'd go with a cup o' milk or hot chocolate.