Topic:   The other GameMaker comes to the Mac   (Read 6374 times)

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
The other GameMaker comes to the Mac
« on: May 23, 2010, 08:05:42 PM »
http://glog.yoyogames.com/?p=817

Looks like we have some serious competition.

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

Re: The other GameMaker comes to the Mac
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 08:11:32 PM »
If Al has Copyrighted the Gamemaker Name, we can get rid of this quite easily.
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

GabrielCA

• GMG-er

• no avatar

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 11:26:12 AM »
Seems like old news...
http://glog.yoyogames.com/?p=445

Wikipedia :
Macintosh version

In 2008, Sandy Duncan announced a port of Game Maker for Mac OS X was being developed. The port had undergone many delays due to technical reasons. A version[24] was made available for private beta testing.

On December 4, 2009, YoYo Games' Mac Developer resigned,[25] however, work resumed on January 27, 2010. [26]

On April 14, 2010, A release candidate for the Mac version was released.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Maker#Macintosh_version

EDIT Mac GameMaker (Al's) has been on the Mac for more than 14 years. This new GameMaker is now struggling to make its way onto the Mac platform as a port... in that perspective, I don't think there's much competition.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 11:37:26 AM by GabrielCA »
Creator of the deprecated plugin KeyDetect (2005)

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 01:35:53 PM »
GameMaker for mac has been promised for years but they're only getting it finished now. And, um, there are so many popular PC games that were made in GM that will now work on macs, so I'd say that it's competition.  
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 01:36:29 PM by WarHampster »

Charlo

• GMG-er

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 06:06:56 PM »
Yeah, this is serious competition.  As I've said before, GameMaker for Windows is light-years ahead of our GameMaker.  They also have a gigantic userbase.  

I predict a lot of confused "other GM" users coming here.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 06:07:46 PM »
Is that why there are so many guests popping up?

-Gan

Mystor

• GMG-er

• I am the myst that consumes us all.
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 06:15:08 PM »
Think we should make another forum section for these confused newcomers? or just not...
"I'll lie to him."
"And if that doesn't work?"
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

GMG Hendo

• GMG-er

• [WITTY TEXT GOES HERE]
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 06:20:58 AM »
I'd say this is bigger competition. It's actually really fun to play around with
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/32391/gamesalad

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 01:08:45 PM »
I just downloaded WinGM4Mac to my eMac and it's an Intel-only program. Strike 1.

I had to jump through several hoops just to download the program. I would share the password I used, except it's quite vulgar as I was rather displeased in having to register. Strike 2.

The DMG was 36.8 MB. For Intel-only. SilverCreator's ZIP is only 8.4 MB and that gives you PPC & Intel Main app and PPC/Intel and Windows Runtimes! Strike 3.

Al Staffieri uses the GameMaker name to market his program on the Mac. These guys need to pick a different name. Strike 4.

Here is a mirror of WinGM4Mac so you don't have to register: http://www.silvercreator.net/downloads/WinGM4Mac.dmg

INTEL ONLY

GabrielCA

• GMG-er

• no avatar

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 06:26:57 PM »
I just downloaded WinGM4Mac to my eMac and it's an Intel-only program. Strike 1.

I had to jump through several hoops just to download the program. I would share the password I used, except it's quite vulgar as I was rather displeased in having to register. Strike 2.

The DMG was 36.8 MB. For Intel-only. SilverCreator's ZIP is only 8.4 MB and that gives you PPC & Intel Main app and PPC/Intel and Windows Runtimes! Strike 3.

Al Staffieri uses the GameMaker name to market his program on the Mac. These guys need to pick a different name. Strike 4.

Here is a mirror of WinGM4Mac so you don't have to register: http://www.silvercreator.net/downloads/WinGM4Mac.dmg

INTEL ONLY
These are the same radical system requirements as those of Google Chrome !
So this isn't exactly a high-quality port...

Strike 5 : it requires latest software+hardware
Mac GameMaker, of course, has run on 68k, PowerPC and Intel...
And it doesn't require OS X 10.5, but OS X 10.1 (a few years ago, it still ran on OS 8.6)

Strike 6 : Yoyo GameMaker was created circa 1999 (see Wikipedia)
Mac GameMaker was created 1995 (see the wiki !)
Creator of the deprecated plugin KeyDetect (2005)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 06:55:41 PM »
I made a little game where balls bounce around the screen in the mac GameMaker today. Not bad.

-Gan

Mystor

• GMG-er

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 07:46:17 PM »
The game engine is not bad. I used it a bit before I started using al's GM.
Then I left al's GM for flash...
So yea, its a good easy to use engine. Its powerful. But I would admit that it has higher system requirements than al's GM or SC.
I think that, TBH, al's GM and SC don't stand much of a chance with the younger population that have their parents buying them good macs (if they use macs) all of the time.
System requirements like requires intel mean nothing to them. Intel is about 5 years old now, and that is old enough that most parents have replaced their kids' computer.
I love GM and SC, but this is too big, too popular, and has too much money behind it for al's GM to hold up.

Mist
"I'll lie to him."
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 11:07:33 PM »
I don't think anyone is debating whether or not WinGM4Mac is any better than SilverCreator or GameMaker - what I am concerned about is their use of the name Game Maker on a Mac product.

I had no problem with a Windows product named Game Maker, but they're stepping on Al's toes now.

It's not surprising that a newly-developed product such as WinGM4Mac is Intel only, but it was disappointing to download the 37 MB disk image on my slow 768 kbps connection at the office, only to discover the product is Intel only.

Mystor

• GMG-er

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 12:47:06 AM »
I don't think anyone is debating whether or not WinGM4Mac is any better than SilverCreator or GameMaker - what I am concerned about is their use of the name Game Maker on a Mac product.

I had no problem with a Windows product named Game Maker, but they're stepping on Al's toes now.

It's not surprising that a newly-developed product such as WinGM4Mac is Intel only, but it was disappointing to download the 37 MB disk image on my slow 768 kbps connection at the office, only to discover the product is Intel only.

Ah, I agree with that then.

Mist
"I'll lie to him."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 03:52:31 PM »
I just downloaded this to my MacBook Pro.

An empty compiled game is over 40 MB - and it uses freaking BMP files as resources!

When you push Cmd-Q in the compiled game, instead of quitting, it dumps a BMP file on the Desktop. WTF?

Parts of the program still reference the "Alt" key. Cmd-W doesn't work in the IDE.