Topic:   GM SFX Library   (Read 9066 times)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
GM SFX Library
« on: February 02, 2010, 08:08:10 AM »
I had a fun idea for a new GM resource: A SFX library for any developer to use and/or contribute to.

Due to the lack of .snd files these days, the SOUND command is generally underused in GM games, so I thought it would be neat to have a library of .snd sounds stored in game maker files (which can be easily swapped around using GM Toolkit) I've created two libraries to start things off.

General SFX: http://www.mediafire.com/?qijjydymzil
NPC Voices: use above link and see edit below

I did all of the voices bar Human Greeting 2 and Human Mumble 2 (Jinx did those), and I even did all the SFX (yes, even the creaky door and the spell effects. That's honestly just me doing odd things with my voice box)

Anyways, I hope this kicks off 'cause I think it'd be great! :)

EDIT:

To cut out needless swapping things around in GM Toolkit, I've saved each sound as a .snd file. Now all you have to do is open the sounds panel in GM and click Import to add the sounds to your game. I've also packaged them into a "Roguesoft" folder to keep things organised by author. I've updated the links too.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 07:16:21 PM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
Re: GM SFX Library
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 09:58:01 AM »
These could be quite useful.
EDIT: It would have been useful to include a GM file with the sounds in it so you don't have to upload them all into one to know what they sound like.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 10:15:46 AM by Tireas_Dragon »
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 04:35:25 PM »
I used to use http://sounds.beachware.com/
but they are .mp3 and the only .mp3 to .snd converters I could find were... shady (like sam shady) to say the least.

But won't this be obsolete when GM4 comes along in 2015?
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 05:35:13 PM »
Well that is still five years away so we can use these until then.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 07:15:45 PM »
It would have been useful to include a GM file with the sounds in it so you don't have to upload them all into one to know what they sound like.
That's what I did at first, but I thought having to export them via GM Toolkit was more hassle than having separate files and being able to importing directly from GM, but including the GM files for sampling purposes is a good idea.

Link updated.

EDIT:

But won't this be obsolete when GM4 comes along in 2015?
I'm not entirely sure, but Al once said GM 4.0 will be able to open 3.9 games, so assumably 4.0 will be able to read .snd files as well.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 07:19:00 PM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007