Topic:   New Sprites   (Read 9161 times)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
New Sprites
« on: January 28, 2010, 05:16:52 PM »
As soon as the Roguesoft RPG Engine is finished I'm gonna start work on my next RPG, so I'm preparing a few sprites in advance. Here's a few I did today:

From the left it's Treant and Shambling Mound (which look like scenery until approached), Pixies, Snakes, Vampire and Lich. I'm quite pleased with the Lich and the Treant. :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 09:58:01 AM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

Re: New Entity Sprites
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 05:23:02 PM »
I'm making my own sprites for an upcoming game as well :D
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 05:25:32 PM »
Gasp gosp gisp! You must post pics! :D

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 06:17:36 PM »
These are awesome. I am going to have to find a way to use them.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 06:37:26 PM »
Pretty much perfect for the style you're going for... but you really need to pick a single light source for all your sprites and stick with it.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 07:14:23 PM »
Those looks awesome! Reminds me of those vile brackens. Just a cleric minding his own business, picking some ginseng here and there when BAM! A BOLT OF LIGHTING FLASHES ACROSS THE SCREEN and the world turns grey...

-Gandolf
P.S. I'd bet only Silver would understand that bit of memory typed above.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 07:48:47 PM »
Pretty much perfect for the style you're going for... but you really need to pick a single light source for all your sprites and stick with it.
Hehehe... yeah, when I first started the sprite sheet I did everything inconsistently. I didn't even draw to a specified size, I just judged by eye and hoped each tile would fit within 44 pixels! ;D Still, bar the christmas tree and the rocks I think the light source is consistently 1 o'clock.

P.S. I'd bet only Silver would understand that bit of memory typed above.
Oh yes. Me and Sora took up professional Brack hunting for quite awhile. The Dragon Tooth's made it worthwhile alone, but the countless hours of running in terror and spending vast amounts of wealth and magic items to rectify mistakes and horrible luck made it priceless.

I'll have to log on one of these days...

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: New Sprites
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 10:13:26 AM »
Although I previously decided not to continue my old sprite set, I was gonna release an updated grass sheet with some actual texture and proper water, but having previewed it without the grid lines I've decided to resume work on the revamped tile set. I can still release the update if anyone thought they were gonna use it, but personally I find the extra texture hurts my eyes with the grid lines:

I'll just have to hurry up and revamp the objects.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 10:28:10 AM »
its way better without the grid, i really like the enemy sprites, the shambling is especially good, the lich's fingers and toes look pixelated though, like fuzz

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 11:43:20 AM »
Yeah, I copied the skeleton's legs but I reckon I'll have to redo them a bit. The biggest task will be resizing everything to 44 pixels instead of 43. *sigh* This set's gonna be a long time coming...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 11:43:42 AM by Silverwind »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 02:41:22 PM »
Your grass is pretty much two colors... I recommend using at least four shades so you get more depth. It does take a while to make but the result is worth it.

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 03:18:06 PM »
Looking Good. When your done with world tiles are you gonna move on to improving your sprites?
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 04:32:03 PM »
Your grass is pretty much two colors... I recommend using at least four shades so you get more depth. It does take a while to make but the result is worth it.
I've actually flattened it quite a bit from my original concept, as I want the background to sit pleasingly on the eye without distracting from the detail of objects. I'm quite pleased with the smooth look it has now, but if you think it's too flat I can increase the contrast a bit:

The leftmost is the original, the rightmost is the current and the middle is the experimental adjustment. What do you think?

Looking Good. When your done with world tiles are you gonna move on to improving your sprites?
As daunting a task as it is, I actually will. I'm working on a few "clothes shadow" templates in photoshop that'll make dressing and colouring humanoids more fun and efficient, but there's still allot of work involved. Thankfully most of the monster sprites are ok.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 04:34:45 PM by Silverwind »

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 08:00:51 PM »
They all look the same except for small change in color

Xiphos

• GMG-er

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 10:51:45 PM »
I prefer the middle. The left is way to unbalanced, and the right is too light in my opinion. The middle is perfect!