Topic:   Forum RPG?   (Read 6199 times)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
Forum RPG?
« on: December 03, 2009, 06:10:09 PM »
It's been over a year since I've played Dungeons & Dragons now and I've really missed the roleplay, so I thought I'd throw together a short scenario for a forum game if anyone's interested. For those who've never played a D&D style RPG, you really should. D&D is the grandfather of all RPGs.

Anyways, I've been thinking up a quick scenario and will post the rules tomorrow so anyone who's interested can take part. It's not D&D, just a simplified forum game. :)
I survived the spammage of 2007

Xiphos

• GMG-er

Re: Forum RPG?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 06:19:04 PM »
Sounds great.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 07:05:28 AM »
Ok, without giving away too much of the scenario before I finish it, gameplay consists of infiltrating and exploring the tower of a mad sorcerer who's monstrous creations never cease harassing the inhabitants of a nearby town. Whilst you'll certainly have cause to raise arms in your venture, the game doesn't consist solely around combat. Indeed, far from it. Some situations will require cunning and quick thinking. Others may require you to make a choice.

The heroes are as follows: Two warriors, a thief and a mage. If lots of people want to play I'll certainly rework the adventure to allow it, but four players is a good number (if less than four want to play I'll gladly roleplay the remaining heroes myself).

I'll post the rules and a few examples of gameplay tonight. So if anyone would like to play, post away! I'll have the scenario finished soon. :)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 07:37:48 AM »
This sounds interesting, I'll play.

-Gandolf

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 11:50:29 AM »
Ok, I'm on break so I can only post a short example, but here we go:

Silverwind Posts:

The door creaks with age but swings gently open for you. Your first glance of the room beyond shows you a tall arched fireplace in the facing wall where a yew log burns steadily, casting a soft glow about the room. The leftmost wall is lined with bookcases, and there's a small writing desk nearby laden with parchment and quills. To the rightmost of the room you notice a doorway identical to the one you entered by.

Gan Posts:

I examine the parchment on the desk. Are any of them scrolls by chance?

Xiphos Posts:

I close the door behind us to make sure no one sneaks up on us (since it's creaky we'll hear it being opened, hehe!).

Then I go about checking the walls for secret passages.

Silverwind Posts:

- Gandolf
None of the parchments appear to be magical, although some of them are written in ancient languages. The few you can read seem to be checklists of book titles, possibly an inventory log of the bookshelves.

Running your fingers along the desk, you discover a cleverly concealed drawer with perfectly flush edges. A Human might use this desk 100 times and never notice it, but your sharp Elven eyes aren't deceived.

- Xiphos
Carefully securing the door you begin tapping, prodding and feeling your way along the stone walls. The stone seems thick and sturdy all around and after a minute or two you come full circle having found nothing out of the ordinary.

Gandolf Posts:

Oooh! Interesting. I look in the drawer.

Silverwind Posts:

TRAP!

You're gently sliding the drawer open when suddenly... "click!" The sound of a gear falling into place echoes throughout the room, and a sharp needle pierces your hand!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 04:40:09 PM by Silverwind »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 02:22:59 PM »
Why not, I'll play.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 05:51:52 PM »
I've finished writing the scenario and now I'm just sketching a few room maps.

During exploration mode, each player should post what they intend to do during that round and then wait until I post the result. Because it's unlikely that all players will be on the forum at the same time, I'll post the results of actions which don't interfere with other players as often as I can to keep gameplay moving, but sometimes I'll have to wait until everyone's had a chance to respond. Also, keep in mind that you can only do so much in a round. An example of an impossible round:

I close the door behind us, drink my healing potion, examine the bookshelves, examine the desk and search for secret passages in the walls.

You could aim to do all that if you like, but it'd take several rounds to accomplish and something might interrupt you in the process.

Certain actions don't impede on the time available in a round (unless you perform lots of them at once). Examples include drinking a potion, opening or closing a door and picking up or putting down an item.

When in combat mode, I'll generally give everyone a chance to post their actions before posting the results of a round, as lives will hang in the balance!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 05:57:47 PM by Silverwind »

Xiphos

• GMG-er

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 06:01:50 PM »
Will the RPG be in located in a new thread. Oh and will we be having no real life talk at all and separate thread (like this one) for all questions or can brackets indicate that you are speaking not your character?

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 06:12:39 PM »
Will the RPG be in located in a new thread.
Yup. You'll recognise it once it's posted. :)

Oh and will we be having no real life talk at all and separate thread (like this one) for all questions or can brackets indicate that you are speaking not your character?
You can speak as much as you like out of character, but please start your comments with "OOC:" like so:

OOC: This makes it easier to see at a glance what's an in game action and what's not. Also, wrap anything you actually say in game with quote tags:

"Hail and well met stranger! Have you heard news of Longdale?"

EDIT:

Actually, I think your suggestion of using brackets is more convenient:

I drink the potion. (hope it's not harmful! :-X)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 06:16:44 PM by Silverwind »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 06:22:36 PM »
Also, keep in mind that if you're discussing things out of character that your in-game characters can act upon, it's assumed that your in game characters are conversing. For example: "(where should we explore first? Should we go through the doorway or take the winding stairs? I think the stairs is booby-trapped, so if we do take the stairs the thief had better use Find and Remove Traps first)".

So if you're having a particularly long OOC discussion over who gets which piece of treasure, you mightn't hear the Kobald sneaking up behind you. ;)

EDIT:

Wow, 3 players already! Does anyone have any preference as to which character they'd like to play?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 07:02:12 PM by Silverwind »

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 07:52:35 PM »
gnome ;)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 07:52:44 PM by Gnome_Again »
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

Xiphos

• GMG-er

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 08:53:32 PM »
I think I will go with the thief.

Mystor

• GMG-er

• I am the myst that consumes us all.
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 10:13:52 PM »
I will totally play, I LOVE DnD, my fave game of all time.
well, thats not totally true, but its close.
I would enjoy playing a full DnD game with you guys if we ever figured out a good way.

I play a Druid currently in my DnD game, but I am switching to a bard :P our party's Warlord retired and we now have 5 Wizards...
BALANCED PARTY FTW!

Mist

PS My favorite game atm is probably GURPS. Look it up, its like a superflexible tabletop.
PPS We need to set a time when we all get on, because RPGs don't progress very fast without everyone on. I would be willing to keep a record on the forums if we did it over IRC.
"I'll lie to him."
"And if that doesn't work?"
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 02:09:26 AM »
Cool, 5 players. :) I'll rework the layout a bit.

I play a Druid currently in my DnD game, but I am switching to a bard :P our party's Warlord retired and we now have 5 Wizards...
BALANCED PARTY FTW!
lol! 5!? That's challenging indeed! ;D Let me guess... 2 general mages, an invoker, a conjurer and an illusionist?

PPS We need to set a time when we all get on, because RPGs don't progress very fast without everyone on. I would be willing to keep a record on the forums if we did it over IRC.
Yeah, I'd imagine it'd be very hard to play a full scenario over the forum. I know a few people who've done it, but it took them a long time.

Xiphos

• GMG-er

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 09:23:12 AM »
I agree we should have a certain time we are all on. Can we also have a certain day? Right now I'm not busy but basketball season starts soon and my school has ski/snowboarding trips coming up also, so a certain day and hour would be cool. Plus we are all in different time zones so it'll take some thinking to come up with one.