Topic:   Al's Text Adventure Template V2.0   (Read 22115 times)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
Al's Text Adventure Template V2.0
« on: April 02, 2009, 09:49:47 AM »
I've updated it again: http://www.mediafire.com/?ljwmjnmbniv

Version 2.0 contains Global commands as well as Local commands. Speak up if you don't understand it. Happy texting ya'll!

EDIT:

Oh btw, I discovered another glitch in GM whilst working on this. If you bring up the inventory window with the WINDOW INVENTORY command, it will be blank regardless to your actual inventory. (meaning you can't select any of your items) Items collected are added as normal, but if you close the window and call it up again with the WINDOW INVENTORY command it will be blank again.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 10:11:26 AM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
Re: Al's Text Adventure Template V2.0
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 01:44:38 PM »
I discovered another glitch in GM whilst working on this. If you bring up the inventory window with the WINDOW INVENTORY command, it will be blank regardless to your actual inventory. (meaning you can't select any of your items) Items collected are added as normal, but if you close the window and call it up again with the WINDOW INVENTORY command it will be blank again.

I added an inventory button on the door card to try it. Using WINDOW INVENTORY worked fine for me. I also tried the inventory sample code that comes with GM. That worked too.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 03:03:55 PM »
That's strange, it seems that the glitch only occurs when a GOTOCARD command is executed in the same routine as the WINDOW INVENTORY command. Also, once an INVENTORY ADD command is activated the inventory window will display all of the correct items. Furthermore, none of the buttons on the card loaded with the GOTOCARD command will be displayed when it loads.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 03:15:22 PM »
Ok... my last post confuses me. Here's a physical example: http://www.mediafire.com/?ift1dz0kg4k

More strangeness: Instead of the card not loading properly, (the buttons not displaying correctly, I as previously mentioned) now the inventory window isn't loading properly: it's loading behind the main GM window.

Anyways, I be baffled.

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 03:46:39 PM »
Ok... my last post confuses me. Here's a physical example: http://www.mediafire.com/?ift1dz0kg4k

More strangeness: Instead of the card not loading properly, (the buttons not displaying correctly, I as previously mentioned) now the inventory window isn't loading properly: it's loading behind the main GM window.

Anyways, I be baffled.

I see now. Looks like GOTOCARD is putting the main window to the front when the card changes.

If I make a button in card 2 and comment out the GOTOCARD in the card script then the buttons don't show up in card 2, probably because the inventory window is in front.

I'll take a look at my window setting stuff.

Thanks.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 04:13:50 PM »
No probs, glad to report 'em. :)

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 09:07:27 PM »
weird glitch its like showing the inventory deletes it.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 09:55:50 AM »
I made a few improvements. It will no longer delete the inventory items and the card buttons will show up in the window. I'll see if I can get the window to stay in front, but I don't want to spend too much time on this. I'd rather spend my programming time on v4.0. I'm way behind on that, but I have been getting a lot done the past week or 2. Anyway, let me try a few more things and I'll send out an update. I do have to put out an update anyway with the REPEAT problem fixed in compiled games.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 09:56:27 AM by AlStaffieri »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 05:45:33 PM »
Yeah, there was no real need to fix the inventory thing anyway, as people can use GM's built in inventory button instead of the command. I just report anything I find on the off chance that it's important. :) (and because I love glitch hunting ;D )

Long live GM I say, the most frequently updated language on the Macintosh! Hurray!