Topic:   April 09   (Read 25882 times)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: April 09
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 08:03:13 PM »
The text adventure would need a dictionary to check if the words were real, than count the amount of letters. That'd be a pretty good idea, though they could type random real words that don't make sense:
Supralapsarianism pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis contraneoantidisestablishmentarianalistically ntipseudocontraneoantidisestablishmentarianalistically

Those four words would probably cause total domination.

-Gandolf
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 08:03:45 PM by Gandolf »

Mystor

• GMG-er

• I am the myst that consumes us all.
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 08:21:57 AM »
lols,

If it didn't recognise a word it would be worth 1 raiting, and yes, I would have to get a LOT of words and ratings worked out :)

Deadly - 3
Bolt - 5
Causing - 1
Destruction - 3
"I'll lie to him."
"And if that doesn't work?"
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 11:32:13 AM »
Mega
Destruction
Deathray
Laser

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 12:44:53 PM »
Just had an idea for a battle engine for text only games:

To play just type in a spell name, it can only have 4 words.

for example:
Supreme Strike of Awesomeness

The game analyses how awesome each of the words are.

Supreme - 3
Strike - 2
Of - 1
Awesomeness - 4

TOTAL: 10

The game then chooses a number between 1 and your spell rating and deals that much damage to the opponent.

You cannot use a spell more than once during a fight.

This could be a fun 2 player game. What if at the beginning of the game it picks 4 random words and then if they are used in order together you do double the normal damage for it. It can only be used once in a game. It would be a cool secret weapon hidden in the game that's different each game.

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

• I come from the swamps.
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 03:30:10 PM »
Just had an idea for a battle engine for text only games:

To play just type in a spell name, it can only have 4 words.

for example:
Supreme Strike of Awesomeness

The game analyses how awesome each of the words are.

Supreme - 3
Strike - 2
Of - 1
Awesomeness - 4

TOTAL: 10

The game then chooses a number between 1 and your spell rating and deals that much damage to the opponent.

You cannot use a spell more than once during a fight.

Awesome eh?

Planning a prototype sometime soonish.

Mist

So Cool. I'll use the "Supercalafragalisticexpialadocious Ray of DOOM" on my enemies... take care of business.

Mystor

• GMG-er

• I am the myst that consumes us all.
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 09:16:26 PM »
The plan is that if you roll a nat (for example, if you had a item with raiting 10 and you rolled a 10) then it would "crit" and deal 2x damage.

This would make less awesome words more likely to crit, but the crit would be worth less.

sound cool?

Mist
"I'll lie to him."
"And if that doesn't work?"
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Teruri

• GMG-er

• This personal text couldn\'t be worse
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2009, 01:34:26 AM »
Yes, your battle engine sounds awesome. It's almost what I planned to do (except how every word has a value), so I taught up a new engine. I hope it's nice too.

Before the battle starts you are given three choices: offensive, defensive or balanced.
Then based on your choice and the choice of the ai (this is set, enemy A always selects offensive while enemy B will always select defensive) the battle is randomly generated.
Yes, random battles...
There are x (between 10 and 20, I still have to decide on the precise amount) moments to attack or defend. However the last chance is special. There is a slight chance you or your opponent uses a special attack, a finisher if you will. This attack is super strong and is most likely to garante your win.
However the player has to have at least some influence on the outcome of the battle, so I'll program some items too. If you type the item name you'll get to use it. You just have to remember what items you have while in battle.

Please tell me what you think. It's still in the 'random things I taught up that could be nice in a game' category.

Oh before I forget, I still need a story. But the game is going to be free roaming (kinda) so I might just forget about the story. Who needs a story if you get to beat up enemy's, randomly?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 01:35:24 AM by Teruri »
Max 500; characters remaining: 466

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 05:41:50 PM »
Well, I reckon it's about time to start suggesting a theme for the next exercise. Anyone got any preference?

btw, I'll be posting my text adventure soon.
I survived the spammage of 2007

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2009, 05:49:26 PM »
Racing game?

-Gandolf

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 05:17:53 PM »
Night at Drundergond Manner is complete, I'm just testing it for bugs as it's bigger than I originally intended. I'll post it tomorrow.

Btw, racing game sounds good to me. :)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 05:25:42 AM »
Bad news. I had been working on the text adventure on my computer, (the deadish one) as it had been relatively normal this week, but now it's completely dead. Won't even turn on. This means that the finished file of the text adventure is inaccessible for upload, and all I have is a much outdated version from last week when I backed up the Roguesoft Folder.

If the computer would even turn on for a few minutes I could get stuff off it with a firewire, but it won't even load the apple logo now. I'll keep trying, but it looks likely that the release of Drundergond Manner will be delayed. :(
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 05:27:53 AM by Silverwind »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 07:23:19 AM »
:( Too bad you live so far away. I have an os9 laptop, blue g3 laptop, 2 white g4 ibooks and an old mac tower. They are all mint condition and just collecting dust. Well, I also have 3 apple 2e computers, though I doubt that would be of any use.

When do you believe you'll have a replacement computer?

-Gandolf

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2009, 11:50:31 AM »
Why not take out the drive and rescue your files?

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2009, 06:41:59 AM »
Good news folks, my files were saved thanks to the miracle of firewire! I'll be able to release the game soon, I just have to fix a few bugs I found during testing. Plus I think I should write a readme.

EDIT:

Did anyone else finish their game?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 06:42:55 AM by Silverwind »

Teruri

• GMG-er

• This personal text couldn\'t be worse
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2009, 10:27:48 AM »
I didn't finish my game. I exactly know what my problem is: I have to many ideas to actually finish one.
Max 500; characters remaining: 466