Topic:   The GMG Cup!   (Read 253459 times)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
Re: The GMG Cup!
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2010, 06:21:21 PM »
@Silverwind: perhaps it would work out if we worked together on one? I always need help with music and a good storyline.
I'd certainly be up for that, as the chances of me finishing a game by myself are low. Gnome would have to judge the decision though, as we'd pose an advantage over other developers.

I might be willing to use Silver Creator, since we BOTH know how to use it.
Actually, I have very little experience with Silver Creator, even the interface is foreign to me. I'm a dedicated Mac GameMaker developer, the last of an ancient bloodline; Long may GM continue to support hobbyist adventure games!

It's abbreviation is too long as well.
LOL! ;D
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 06:35:38 AM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2010, 10:48:09 PM »
@ Silver: :D Cool, sounds good to me! 8) But we have to pick a program then, since they are allowing us to make the engine early!

@ Everyone:
So what's the final decision? I'm thinking about TNT because it already makes tile maps relatively quickly, but there's no cards or separate coding areas to organize everything... But then there's pre-made Game Maker engines so that's possible too. :-/
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 10:52:39 PM by Connors »
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2010, 04:06:44 AM »
I don't mind what engine we use since I'm not programming. I'll do music and help with the story as you suggested. As always, everyone is free to use the Roguesoft tile set: http://alstaffieri.com/gmaddons.html#graphics

Developers are also welcome to use my new (albeit incomplete) tile set if they wish:

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 04:07:25 AM by Silverwind »

Xiphos

• GMG-er

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2010, 06:05:32 AM »
Woah! Thanks silver :D

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2010, 11:10:56 AM »
@EqwanoX: I'll take that as a challenge from u.
ha.  if you want to learn the hard way, go ahead and fail like all the others. (...they never listen)

the more ambitious the quicker they fall, i dont think youll last a single hour of bug fixing

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2010, 11:15:32 AM »
Haha. This is going to be interesting.

We still need to deside on languages that'll be used. I'm fine with just Gm and Sc. If Tnt is added in, I'll probably use it. If Obj-C is allowed I'll stick with that.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2010, 12:01:35 PM »
GM + SC would be most fair.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2010, 03:11:55 PM »
I don't mind what engine we use since I'm not programming. I'll do music and help with the story as you suggested. As always, everyone is free to use the Roguesoft tile set:
Developers are also welcome to use my new (albeit incomplete) tile set if they wish:

[image]
is that allowed? He said we have to make all the resources after the specified day.
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2010, 03:42:02 PM »
Oh yeah, I never thought of that. What's the deal Gnome?

Personally I'd love to see everyone having a go at their own sprite sheets (I'm assuming there'll be a few RPG attempts) but I understand how long it takes.

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2010, 09:01:38 PM »
As for resources, I'm using makeshifts sprites now to "act out" my game as I program.

But I will have to think about this one, as It may prevent games from happening, but at  the same time, I want to see some creativity.

How about you guys voice suggestions as I make a new rules page.
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2010, 10:07:29 PM »
The point of the contest is not to make a game really quickly, it's to make a really good game that pushes GM/SC. Therefore, I think the contest should be anything goes.

Xiphos

• GMG-er

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2010, 05:55:14 AM »
GM and SC should be your only tools as warhampster said to push their limits and make it a fair playing ground. As for graphics, if we all had create new tile sheets I think it would ensure diversity and creativity.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2010, 08:21:25 AM »
Also everyone should announce what they're making and keep a devlog on this forum.

Graphics - this is a game development contest, not an art contest. How about everyone uploads all the graphics that they're starting with (anything that was made before the contest) so that anyone can use them? With credit obviously :P

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2010, 10:47:13 AM »
some of silvers tiles arent lined up correctly on the grid, i just wanted to post this more consolidated version

i actually think sc vs C is fair cause its a trade off between quality and production time, C might have better capabilities but it also requires alot more time and i dont think gandolf (or anyone)has the time to invest to make a quality game. while sc is pick-up-and-program in a fraction of the time and coding you can make a decent game.

i might make something if i have the time, it would be fun to participate but i dont want a prize so if i win anything you can pass it on to the next runner up.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2010, 12:38:06 PM »
If Obj-C were allowed I'd probably use the physics engine and see if I can whip something up.