Topic:   Devlog: Bricker   (Read 17724 times)

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

Re: Devlog: Bricker
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 12:13:57 PM »

The way I handled the paddle was that the ball only bounces if it is above the paddle, not if it is in the middle of the paddle.
just make the balls Y location equal the top of the paddle

if this is able to determine what side the ball contacts the block i think that same mechanic be used for a platforming engine, charlo still has the source up on snet. its all done with paint commands

http://www.silvercreator.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1292626862
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 03:16:04 PM by EqwanoX »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2010, 05:37:33 PM »
Wow, looking good! :D It's great to see a thriving hub of developers again. I'm not too well at present, but when I recover I'll start a devlog for my game as well.
I survived the spammage of 2007

Charlo

• GMG-er

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 01:58:55 PM »
Progress made!  I successfully added a second level and managed to eradicate all bugs associated with it (including powerups not disappearing).  The tedious part is going to be inputting all these levels by hand.

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 12:19:36 AM »
I am trying to work out an editor to create all the levels so I can make them easily.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 12:01:12 AM »
A level editor? I didn't know GM or SC had a way to save files for things like that. How would you make it work?
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 01:07:35 AM »
GM has a command called FILEO WRITE I think. I am not using GM though I am using processing which is way more powerful. It has objects and multidimensional arrays.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Charlo

• GMG-er

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 11:49:36 AM »
A level editor? I didn't know GM or SC had a way to save files for things like that. How would you make it work?
SC has READFILE, WRITEFILE, OPENFILE, and CLOSEFILE commands.  I used them to create a level editor in another project of mine.  It actually works out quite well.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 06:16:11 PM »
That's good to know, I'll see how they work. I might want make a level editor someday.
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2010, 02:24:39 AM »
GM has equivilants.

Charlo

• GMG-er

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 09:04:23 PM »
I don't think the level editor is gonna happen, all my time between now and the contest is devoted to making levels.  Hopefully I can throw in a few more powerups before then as well.

Charlo

• GMG-er

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 03:34:15 PM »
Big news.  I got an internship doing web programming at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.  It's 20 hours a week, and when you take school into account I'm not going to have very much time to work on this.  Luckily the game is perfectly playable right now.  So my main tasks now are to do five(ish) more levels and to fix bounce detection.  No crazy feature additions or anything.   ;D

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2011, 06:10:53 PM »
Woh, awesome Charlo! :D Congratulations, and can't wait for Bricker. :)

Charlo

• GMG-er

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2011, 09:33:38 PM »
Finished the last level tonight.  It's a toughie.  Also did some menu graphics and stuff.  I've fixed bounce detection for the most part, but due to how I'm detecting corners, sometimes the ball will destroy the brick without bouncing.  It's less buggy than it was, though.  So I just need to add a winning condition, which should be easy since I already have high scores in place.  

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2011, 10:22:40 PM »
I am not having as much progress as I still don't even have a first level. I want to get the editor finished but I am still trying to finish power ups. Boy, if only I wasn't kept from working so long. I am probably not gonna have a finished game in time.

Charlo

• GMG-er

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2011, 06:50:54 PM »
In case people didn't see my post in the GMG cup thread, here's the download for the finished game:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sujnj1o1i0y705d