Topic:   All Engine Contest?   (Read 37536 times)

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
Re: All Engine Contest?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 04:42:01 PM »
I can code in Silver Creator and (does the language even have a name? I'm going to call it Silver :)) Scheme, and I have a pretty good knowledge of C. If you give me a basic derived language I can figure it out pretty quickly, and I've played around with C++, C#, Python, and Ruby, and will be taking a Java programming class next semester.  

(!) Just had an idea... if you go ahead with this contest maybe I'll make a homebrew GBA or dreamcast game.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 04:43:07 PM by WarHampster »

Mystor

• GMG-er

• I am the myst that consumes us all.
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2008, 05:10:41 PM »
I can code in Silver Creator and (does the language even have a name? I'm going to call it Silver :)) Scheme, and I have a pretty good knowledge of C. If you give me a basic derived language I can figure it out pretty quickly, and I've played around with C++, C#, Python, and Ruby, and will be taking a Java programming class next semester.  

(!) Just had an idea... if you go ahead with this contest maybe I'll make a homebrew GBA or dreamcast game.
THTAT WOULD BE CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will probally attempt to make a simple Silverlight app in .NET, 'cause SIlverlight works on mac and that would be an easy way to learn tge new programming language :)

Mist
"I'll lie to him."
"And if that doesn't work?"
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2008, 05:15:50 PM »
Whoa. What's this Silverlight thingy? Is it like any other app but works on macs too?

-Gandolf

Mystor

• GMG-er

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2008, 09:14:05 AM »
It is flash's new competitor.

It is based on .net and in order to compete withh flash is also avaliable on mac.

Unfortunately, the interface designer isn't perfected yet but it looks simple enough.

http://Silverlight.net

Mist (PS Which language is better, C#.net or VB.net?)
"I'll lie to him."
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2008, 10:30:42 AM »
If you give me a basic derived language I can figure it out pretty quickly, and I've played around with C++, C#, Python, and Ruby, and will be taking a Java programming class next semester.  

LOL! sigh (noobs.), knowing what the commands do and actually useing them in junction with each other to make a full working engine are two completly different things. what im saying is, dont be silly you cant program. have you ever even made ANYthing?!

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2008, 06:18:43 PM »
What have I said that gave you the impression that I know commands but not how to make a program? Has anything that I've said on this forum led you to believe that I am a "noob"? How do you know that I "can't program"?

Do I really have to go make something for you just to prove that I know a few languages?

You sir, are the noob here.

If you give me a basic derived language I can figure it out pretty quickly
Once one has a good understanding of the concepts of programming then it is easy to figure out basic based languages...

« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 06:23:00 PM by WarHampster »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2008, 07:16:35 PM »
*Smells the flames starting*...  ...*Pulls out some minute steak* Mmmm....

I'm not sure that trying to defend yourself with words would help much. Why not just go for it and make his toes curl when you shove it in his socks? I would love to see you make some game like that.

Mist (PS Which language is better, C#.net or VB.net?)
Which seems more appealing?
C#
Code: [Select]
int? i = null;
object o = i;
if (o == null)
    Console.WriteLine("Correct behaviour - runtime version from September 2005 or later");
else
    Console.WriteLine("Incorrect behaviour - pre-release runtime (from before September 2005)");

Or:

Code: [Select]
Dim i As Integer
if i = NULL then
    Messagebox.show("Correct behaviour - runtime version from September 2005 or later")
else
    Messagebox.show("Incorrect behaviour - pre-release runtime (from before September 2005)")
End If

Vb.net takes a lot less work. I'd rather use vb.net, plus I could teach you everything I know.

-Gandolf

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2008, 07:26:19 PM »
You're not being very fair to C#... of course vb.net is easier, but it's not as powerful or portable.

Why not just go for it and make his toes curl when you shove it in his socks? I would love to see you make some game like that.

I'll take some time off of working on my game and make something truly epic.

Mystor

• GMG-er

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2008, 08:19:42 PM »
I actually quite like C#

It is simple and quite like AS3 (There is also a lot of stuff out for it)

Mist (PS I would like it if you could tell me what you kinow though...)

EDIT: The only real diff between the two is syntax, They both use .NET frameworks and compile to the same language...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 08:21:07 PM by mistron »
"I'll lie to him."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2008, 09:06:08 PM »
True. They both have the same flexibility and portability.

I can teach you every kind of loop, functions, subroutines, cases, variables, string commands, and almost every other kind of vb.net syntax.

-Gandolf

P.S. Can you make graphic games in silverlight? I want to try.

Mystor

• GMG-er

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2008, 08:11:34 AM »
Yes you can, however, the engine is sometimes a bit quirky...

For example, to change the x and y co-ordinates of something, you need to call (In C#) "Canvas.SetValue(Object, value);"

Also you need to learn to replace the root xaml <grid> tag with a <canvas> and learn to put the Keydown event in the ROOT user control tag :P

Once I am done making Hurdles (A port of Puddle Jumper), I will send you the code.

Mist (PS The collision detection in Silverlight is a bit pathetic...)

It is not 100% done but here is the source code:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/104724/Hurdles.zip
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 08:42:24 AM by mistron »
"I'll lie to him."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2008, 08:49:02 AM »
You sir, are the noob here.

except he has been apart of the GM and SC crowd the longest, he is just predicting what he has always seen when people here say that kind of thing.
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2008, 03:43:20 PM »
Awesome. Thanks Mistron, I will take a look at it a little later.

-Gandolf

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2008, 11:40:52 AM »
(spraying lighter fluid)

What have I said that gave you the impression that I know commands but not how to make a program?
well, cause you havent made anything.... :o

Has anything that I've said on this forum led you to believe that I am a "noob"?
yea, like everything you say is what noobs say. like this :"I'll take some time off of working on my game and make something truly epic. "... yea sure you will, why dont you just finish your game in the first place or post screens.....(cause you havent done anything)

Do I really have to go make something for you just to prove that I know a few languages?

no.... just show you know ONE language. i know sc or gm arent "advanced  ::) enough for you but lets see you make something simple in one of those

(lights match)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 11:41:32 AM by EqwanoX »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2008, 12:30:30 PM »
*Skewers a few minute steaks on a skewer with some pepper and onion pieces*

Yum.

-Gandolf