Topic:   Secret PRINT Command Property?   (Read 10133 times)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
Secret PRINT Command Property?
« on: May 23, 2008, 07:16:41 AM »
I was upgrading Al's Text Adventure Template to fix a glitch where the length of the TypeText$ variable isn't always correct, (causing problems with the DELETE command) and I discovered that the ; mark at the end of a PRINT command causes the next PRINT command to print on the previous line. That's a really useful feature! :D

Are there any more secret command properties in GM Al?
I survived the spammage of 2007

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
Re: Secret PRINT Command Property?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 09:16:07 AM »
I knew that worked in other programming languages but I never tried it in GM wow that will be really useful.

I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 03:09:20 PM »
I thought that was mentioned in the Help for the PRINT command, but I just checked and it's not. Sorry about that. That feature has been in there since forever.

If you update the text adventure template send it back and I'll post the updated one.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 07:03:02 PM »
Ok, I'll post it in tomorrow when I've finished it.

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 05:29:13 PM »
Thanks. It's on the GameMaker site now.

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 03:19:45 PM »
Decompression fails for me...

Ghost

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 08:17:13 AM »
I just tried this all different ways of zipping and uploading and can't get it to work right. Does anyone else have trouble with the Mac built in "Create Archive" feature to make a zip file? Whenever I zip certain files they can't be unzipped. I don't know why. I'm going to go back to using StuffIt.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 09:13:46 AM »
You can download the file here:
http://www.savefile.com/files/1570875

I just tried this all different ways of zipping and uploading and can't get it to work right. Does anyone else have trouble with the Mac built in "Create Archive" feature to make a zip file? Whenever I zip certain files they can't be unzipped. I don't know why. I'm going to go back to using StuffIt.

I've had numerous problems with stuffing and stuffing, on a variety of apps. I find Stuffit the best, but I still experience the occasional problem.

jeremymaharg

• GMG Newbie

• Jeremymaharg Software
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 12:53:42 AM »

On my old OS 9 systems I always get a "Unknown ZIP header" or something similar when I encounter one of these newer ZIP files, and when I tried downloading Silverwind's QoM, the resource and data forks of each file were split as "filename.mov" and "._filename.mov" files.
Under OS X (10.3) I can usually open stuff just fine, although I haven't encountered enough different kinds of zip compression methods yet to judge whether .zip files work consistently...
The only times I have encountered problems with StuffIt were when the files were in .sitx format...though that's probably because I choose to use an older StuffIt so that I can produce "legacy" .sit archives for wider compatibility.
[url=http://

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 02:04:48 AM »
I'm not having any trouble with stuffing and unstuffing.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.