Topic:   SC3D   (Read 25598 times)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: SC3D
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2010, 08:37:29 PM »
This looks and sounds so awesome. If you guys find anything good, I'd love to tag along.

-Gan

alias

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2010, 10:39:02 PM »
Can you direct me to a book that would help me build a solid foundation in 3d math and programming? Preferably something that doesn't assume I've already mastered 3d geometry and calculus. I want to move on and would like to have a textbook to refer to rather than sifting through online articles. Amazon returned lots of choices for me but I'd like the opinion of someone who's doing this stuff in school.

Im not doing this stuff in school, not yet at least. Theres no such thing as 3d math without calculus and geometry.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2010, 01:59:22 AM »
Theres no such thing as 3d math without calculus and geometry.

I know that first hand, I meant that I'm looking for a book that doesn't skip stuff because it assumes you already know it.

alias

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2010, 05:35:25 AM »

I know that first hand, I meant that I'm looking for a book that doesn't skip stuff because it assumes you already know it.
I seriously doubt youd be able to find one, however for all the 3d things ive ever done ive used a premade engine to render things for me. I believe directx or opengl can be made to do this. However im not sure. Programming actual 3d engines is a massive feat even for more than one person, I dont think you could find a comprehensive book, and if you could it would be the size of a small dog.

EDIT: http://www.spacesimulator.net/tut1_3dengine.html
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 05:38:03 AM by alias »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2010, 10:35:38 PM »
I found some stuff that I'll be checking out.

Back on the topic of SC3D, I'm that sure my in-productivity has been noticed (and attributed to all the school work that I have, hopefully ;)). Anyway the next version will be significantly more advanced thanks to the new versions of SC, it will mainly feature a higher resolution and sloped terrain.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2010, 04:49:20 PM »
I've been getting some very interesting results:

But I have more bugs and speed issues as well. I'm going to go back to the last stable version and make a game with it instead of writing more features... I've gotten to the point where I don't really understand what I'm doing, and I don't want to stumble around when I could be making use of the engine that I have a pretty firm grasp on.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2010, 07:59:20 PM »
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 08:03:05 PM by WarHampster »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2010, 08:21:57 PM »
That's awesome!  :D

Ah, the possibilities are endless... This is amazing stuff, you're treading waters I'm not advanced enough to go in. :) Can't wait to see a full window version. (Or take a peek in your source ;) )

-Gan

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2010, 08:26:46 PM »

We should make a bare-bones arena FPS, this engine + your networking knowledge = SC gets a billion users!

Now that the framerate for the basic engine isn't an issue, I can move on to more advanced stuff, namely models and lighting.

I'm sure you can all now tell why I'm begging Mike to allow sprites and painted stuff to clip, a wolfenstein clone would not be too far-fetched.  
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 08:37:00 PM by WarHampster »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2010, 08:36:26 PM »

We should make a bare-bones arena FPS, this engine + your networking knowledge = SC gets a billion users!

Now that the framerate for the basic engine isn't an issue, I can more on to more advanced stuff, namely models and lighting.

I'm sure you can all now tell why I'm begging Mike to allow sprites and painted stuff to clip, a wolfenstein clone would not be too far-fetched.  
This is actually is a good idea but I'm finding it increasingly harder to code in Sc. Sort of grueling in fact. I think of what I want to make, think of how I want to make it and go to make it. In Obj-C I have it done in record speed, in Sc I find out that it doesn't have certain things like...  classes(Extremely needed, especially to be used in arraylists). Or syntax highlighting(Not too needed but useful)...
It'd be much easier to give this a go in Obj-C, though if somehow Mike would spontaneously add in those features...  ;)

-Gan

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2010, 08:41:55 PM »
Bah, SC isn't so bad... there are ways to design stuff similarly to C programs. For example, in SC3D the controls don't suffer from SC's signature lag; this is because I have a main loop that polls the keyboard for input every tick and then immediately performs the correct logic and renders. If you want OOP in SC then just use RealBasic, it would be the same thing.

In regard to syntax highlighting, you should make a "SC IDE" that does stuff like that :P
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 08:45:13 PM by WarHampster »

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2010, 10:27:57 PM »

So err, what do you need again? Just to be able to draw behind sprites?

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2010, 05:47:04 AM »
Yeah, that way I can have "billboard" graphics in games made with this. A precedence parameter on drawing commands similar to the one on sprites would do it, sprites of a higher number would be drawn on top and sprites of a lower number would be drawn behind.

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2010, 05:58:19 PM »
The best I could do would probably be one where you could select from these choices:

1. Draw sprites behind painting (current method)
2. Draw sprites in front of painting
3. Draw sprites somewhere in the middle of painting, using a special command RENDERSPRITES.

2 and 3 can both be achieved with RENDERSPRITES, just call it at the top of the Paint event for 2 and somewhere in the middle for 3. For the old behavior, don't call it at all (or you can call it at the end if you want, but it's not necessary).

Basically with #2 you could paint some stuff, then draw all your sprites then paint some more stuff.

What you could NOT do is paint, draw some sprites, paint some more, then draw other sprites. If that's what you need then that would require even more code. You would have to do something like RENDERSPRITES 2, 3, 4 or pass an number array to RENDERSPRITES. It all gets kind of tricky after that.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2010, 08:38:33 PM »
Being able to select an array of sprite numbers to render at specific points would be ideal, but if it would take too much restructuring then I can make do with a RENDERSPRITES function like you proposed.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 08:38:56 PM by WarHampster »